PDA

View Full Version : Win10 Anniversary Update Problems

Pato
08-08-2016, 05:15 PM
Searching the Net, I observe that there are a lot of problems with the Update. What do the experts suggest the best way to tackle this.?

As it appears that it is automatically downloaded, I guess there is not much that can be done to prevent some of these problems, or is there.?

wratterus
08-08-2016, 06:06 PM
What sort of issues? I've not come across anything yet on 30 - 40 installs, in fact it seems to run great. Do you have links to pages with theses 'issues'?

wainuitech
08-08-2016, 06:19 PM
Every single upgrade OR fresh install to the new Version I've done has either been by a DVD or USB drive I have, or use the upgrade assistant to force the upgrade. Like last time I wouldn't be at all surprised if the automatic updates are the actual problem, bringing through bits over time.

Lots of problems occur when same software previously installed may not be compatible, out of date drivers, antivirus not fully agreeable.

Its the same ol thing, a fresh install is always better than a upgrade, been like that for years. On Saying that - This PC was done Via a Upgrade, BUT only after I had fixed a couple of minor problems beforehand, and then double checked the upgrade again - finding a minor problem, now fixed ( hopefully) :D

Pato
08-08-2016, 06:37 PM
What sort of issues? I've not come across anything yet on 30 - 40 installs, in fact it seems to run great. Do you have links to pages with theses 'issues'?If you have done 30 to 40 Anniversary updates, without any problems, that is indeed encouraging. As for links, I suggest you google "Win 10 Anniversary Update Problems" and see what comes up.

Pato
08-08-2016, 06:46 PM
Thanks Wainui. My Windows 10 was a fresh install without any real problems. I am referring to the August 2 Anniversary Update. As wratterus said he has done many updates it appears

there is nothing to be concerned about.

Speedy Gonzales
08-08-2016, 09:15 PM
Havent had any probs with it here either. I did a clean install.

Only 2 things that dont work (They're posted elsewhere in here). Speccy gives the wrong temp and Samsung Magician says ACHI isnt activated. <- I fixed that prob, by not installing Magician. The main thing was, it fixed the wireless drivers for this adapter

pcuser42
08-08-2016, 10:26 PM
Nothing went wrong with either of my two upgrades, but there is a bug with scheduled tasks that prevents Macrium Reflect from working properly (http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Windows+10+Aniversary+Update+issues).

Pato
09-08-2016, 09:12 AM
I guess as long as these niggles can be fixed is all that matters.

bk T
09-08-2016, 09:47 AM
I quite like the Update in general, other than the 'automatic update' feature; it would be nice if it can be turned OFF.

Pato
09-08-2016, 11:11 AM
I quite like the Update in general, other than the 'automatic update' feature; it would be nice if it can be turned OFF.I wasn't sure if it could be turned on/off and that is why I started the original Post to get some general comments. I will await the arrival in anticipation.

09-08-2016, 11:47 AM
Just FUD ?
Theres allways going to be some minor issues.....on a few PC's . Who knows what state they were in before the update ?
http://www.infoworld.com/article/3104999/microsoft-windows/windows-10-anniversary-update-woes-continue.html

Seems more like some random bugs.
Ive done 2 , 1 came in automaticly, one I downloaded & ran .
It is a big update, it creates a new Windows folder (renaming windows to windows.old etc)

The only issue I can see coming, is some poor sod will turn on his PC & panic when win doesnt load for 20 minutes(because the update is installing) . So they keep restarting
it making a mess.

MS really needs to put on the screen, the notice "installing updates, do not turn off" . Just that circling dots is not good enough. A disgrace , think about your customers MS.
The used to have that "installing updates " message. I guess because no one can read they removed it . :badpc:

Pato
09-08-2016, 02:40 PM
Ive done 2 , 1 came in automaticly, one I downloaded & ran .
It is a big update, it creates a new Windows folder (renaming windows to windows.old etc)

The only issue I can see coming, is some poor sod will turn on his PC & panic when win doesnt load for 20 minutes(because the update is installing) . So they keep restarting
it making a mess.

Pato
This poor sod has made a mental note.

wratterus
09-08-2016, 03:08 PM
I'm still not sure what issue you're referring to either - no update progress? All the ones I've done give a normal install percentage and progress, certainly there is no indication that the computer may be frozen, I've got two running at the moment actually, they look like this...
I'm not sure how much clearer it could be? I'm not being obtuse, promise. :p I just honestly don't know what issues you are talking about.

Any time you google 'Windows xyz install issues' you're going to get tons of hits, as there are always issues out there, and a lot of issues are caused by things outside of MS's control - failing hardware, viruses, teenagers...

Edit - or are you meaning that the update is still in the process of 'rolling out' and not everyone is able to get it through Windows Update yet? I've probably had 5 do it themselves, the rest I've either run the tool, or installed it from the Win10 install media (created from the media creation tool).

wainuitech
09-08-2016, 03:28 PM
I'm still not sure what issue you're referring to either - no update progress? All the ones I've done give a normal install percentage and progress, certainly there is no indication that the computer may be frozen, I've got two running at the moment actually, they look like this...
I'm not sure how much clearer it could be? I'm not being obtuse, promise. :p I just honestly don't know what issues you are talking about.

Any time you google 'Windows xyz install issues' you're going to get tons of hits, as there are always issues out there, and a lot of issues are caused by things outside of MS's control - failing hardware, viruses, teenagers...

Edit - or are you meaning that the update is still in the process of 'rolling out' and not everyone is able to get it through Windows Update yet? I've probably had 5 do it themselves, the rest I've either run the tool, or installed it from the Win10 install media (created from the media creation tool).

Same here, :) with all the upgrades either forced or self started, they have always popped up with a message saying they are going to install updates, with various messages.

What I have had happen is like the Picture wratterus posted, its saying its installing at a certain percentage, then part way through it will reboot as it says it will, and on startup goes to a black screen for a moment, normally no longer than 1-2 minutes and reboots and carries on again, changing to a higher percentage. If you look at the HDD activity light during the "blackout" its going nuts, so it is doing something in the background.

The majority of problems have been on computers that had a previous OS, as 1101 said
Who knows what state they were in before the update ? Many were damaged before hand in some form, and many people think by doing a upgrade will fix all the problems -- Yeah---Na!! :p

mzee
09-08-2016, 08:16 PM
I have tried twice to download the anniversary version with the 'media creation tool'. Each time I have got an earlier version. How to ensure that it is the latest version?

Speedy Gonzales
09-08-2016, 08:46 PM
I downloaded it from here. It downloaded the AU ISO (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10)

It's got 10.0.14393.0 under details in its properties.

wainuitech
09-08-2016, 09:06 PM
Direct upgrade (no separate ISO download) but is the Anniversary Update, you can download the software that forces it. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history

Pato
10-08-2016, 12:18 PM
Direct upgrade (no separate ISO download) but is the Anniversary Update, you can download the software that forces it. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-historyThanks. Approximately, how long can this download take.?

wainuitech
10-08-2016, 12:47 PM
Thanks. Approximately, how long can this download take.? The download link I posted - a few seconds, its only a MS program that goes and looks for any updates. It will find the Anniversary Update, and download it. The Anniversary Update itself is roughly 3GB so depending on how fast your internet connection is time will differ.

What is meant to happen is the update comes through, there will be a timer to reboot ( about 30 minutes from memory) or you can reboot yourself anytime before hand then goes through the process of installing very similar to doing it via ISO method.

Pato
10-08-2016, 02:36 PM
OIC. I now understand the process. Cheers.

gary67
11-08-2016, 07:54 AM
Set mine to download at 9.30 last night when I got up at 10 to 6 this morning it was just installing at 97%, by the time I had made breakfast its ready to go. I did click through the screens and turn everything off though.

The download was 5Gb will do SWMBO's Friday night as want to get them done before the BB rolls on Sunday.

All seems to be working fine, will go through all my settings tonight to check nothing has sneaked on that I don't want on.

bk T
11-08-2016, 04:47 PM
Changed Ethernet connection from unmetered to metered via Registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\DefaultMediaCost].

Ran update manually, it checks for updates but won't download, sitting at 0% for the last hour. Changed it back to unmetered, it downloads straight away.

Has anyone of you here tried it?

I really hate the Automatic Update.

Pato
11-08-2016, 05:06 PM
Set mine to download at 9.30 last night when I got up at 10 to 6 this morning it was just installing at 97%, by the time I had made breakfast its ready to go. I did click through the screens and turn everything off though.

The download was 5Gb will do SWMBO's Friday night as want to get them done before the BB rolls on Sunday.

All seems to be working fine, will go through all my settings tonight to check nothing has sneaked on that I don't want on.I was prepared for a long wait but just got the download in 65 minutes.

Running Windows Home, and the build it 14393.51, so I guess that is the latest. Skype doesn't appear to be going and I haven't checked all my settings as yet.

gary67
11-08-2016, 07:41 PM
Yep damn slow to download on ADSL2.

Skype working fine here. Soon going to start SWMBO's download ready for the morning

gary67
12-08-2016, 07:19 PM
Two quick questions on the update I run Nod 32 but it keeps asking to turn on periodic scanning of Win defender should I?

It now tells me there is a problem with my insider settings. I don't have nor ever have been on the insider program weird.

chiefnz
12-08-2016, 07:53 PM
Successfully updated on 2 desktops, I have a laptop to go but in no rush. I had no issues at all with either of the upgrades.

I thought I was going to have to re-install the software and drivers for my Brother printer (this was cited as a known issue post upgrade) but everything worked fine so there was no need.

Can't say the updates/additions are blatantly obvious... though to be fair most of the new features or updates are things I don't use anyway.

Time will tell.

Having used WIN10 since it was first released for testing via MSDN I have actually grown to like it... I've not had any issues with it and to be honest I think Microsoft may have actually gotten this one right... Of course things will inevitably change as soon as I have the first big problem. People have been saying that it reverses all the customisations you have made but from what I've seen that's a load of bull, my setup looks exactly the same way it did before the upgrade. The only thing that did change was the addition of MS Edge, Windows Store and File Explore in the Quick Launch section of the task bar... easily solved... right-click on each and unpin them.... BOOM!!! job done hardly a flaw in the upgrade. Honestly, some people just look for things to moan about.

I'm a fan of WIN10 it's not my most favourite Windows OS but it's pretty damned good.

I hope to see Cortana evolve into an interactive UI like Jarvis from Iron Man and Avengers, now that would be an awesome upgrade!

Cheers,

linw
13-08-2016, 12:47 PM
I like W10 as well. Always worked fine on several comps here, including my main one since Oct 2014.

Updated about 18 others and all worked well, except one. That was an old Dell and I think the problem was an old Graphics Card driver issue.

Have you got Cortana going?

gary67
13-08-2016, 02:04 PM
No don't need Cortana and can't be bothered

chiefnz
13-08-2016, 02:21 PM
I've been messing around with an app call Jarvis... it works great, but it can be tedious customising the different phrases you use when interacting with it. It does a pretty good job (better than the standard MS voice recognition) understanding your voice.

I still have a ways to go and there are various profiles you can download that make the app "smarter" but I'll look at that once I have the basic sorted.