PDA

View Full Version : Is windows update truley broken (on 7)

05-08-2016, 03:38 PM
Is Winupdate just pretty much broken now, for 7?

Ive coming across more & more 7's that are taking forever to get winupdates.
Last one, a complete wipe & reload, left it sitting there for almost 2 days trying to find updates for 7 .
Some PC's no issues: other PC's on the same network just stopped updating 1-2 months ago

Another new win7 install , I downloaded that update rollup out of desperation. That went in but after that ............ ?

Speedy Gonzales
05-08-2016, 03:42 PM
Still works on the Win7 PC here. Look for any errors in the txt file in c:\windows\softwaredistribution folder

05-08-2016, 03:52 PM
I know it works on many, but Im seeing more & more that are having issues : taking extremely long times (say overnight) to find the lastest Winupdates.
When it doesnt work on fresh reloads , there must be some issues .......

Used to be there was a patch I used that would speed things along (in 7), that doesnt help any more
Perhaps MS's server were overloaded with last minute 10 ug (last month) & 10 anniversary update this month ?

Speedy Gonzales
05-08-2016, 04:02 PM
Possible. Altho there are a lot of updates for Win7. Did you install SP1 before the rollup?? I dont know if the rollup inc SP1

wratterus
05-08-2016, 04:05 PM
I've been finding that for over a year now. It's extremely annoying, but the updates do eventually install.

05-08-2016, 04:26 PM
Did you install SP1 before the rollup?? I dont know if the rollup inc SP1

The DVD was a newer one , so was 7SP1 on the original install

I've been finding that for over a year now. It's extremely annoying, but the updates do eventually install.
The last 2 new win7 install (SP1) I did wouldnt do the updates , at all. I still have the last one , cant go back till I sort this

Previously (many months back) if I installed a newer winupdate client , that would get it all started quickly.

Looks like there is a new new new update client , I'll try that (its included in that update rollup)
http://superuser.com/questions/951960/windows-7-sp1-windows-update-stuck-checking-for-updates
:)

just found an even newer one
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605

bk T
05-08-2016, 04:29 PM
Try this: download and install this -- KB3138612

Make sure Windows update is not running before install the above.

It works for me.

wainuitech
05-08-2016, 04:31 PM
Snap- just going to link that page (got it bookmarked) there was a newer Update Client, on existing installs not a problem as it would have come through in the updates, but on a new install, it lags, it needs the newer client, when it eventually starts ;)

Its a bit like XP, will still update if you have the right updates first. W7 is coming total end of sales (even Pro) October 31, 2016, so only current licenses can be used ( cant buy new ones)

mzee
05-08-2016, 04:42 PM
Beats me why you would want to update W7 anyway. All you need is SP1. I have auto update disabled on W7, apart from SP1 updates have been off since 2009.
Windows 8.1 is the same. Windows 10 needs updates as it is still a work in progress. The only updates I do on a regular basis are Antivirus and Malwarebytes. I don't update my car either :)

08-08-2016, 09:16 AM
Beats me why you would want to update W7 anyway. All you need is SP1.

why ?
bugfixes, security patches.
I dont update my home PC any more either, but thats not the point. :)
Its not my PC, so I cant leave it with winupdates not working.

Monday, and this particular PC still isnt updating, even with the newest update client installed .

bevy121
08-08-2016, 02:00 PM
after 2 weeks of trying to get updates downloaded - would just sit there on "downloading - 0%" and after trying a handfull of diagnostics, I have it working again! (my other computer was getting the updates fine - same OS, same modem)

I think this diagnostic tool may be the one that actualy fixed it

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab

09-08-2016, 12:14 PM
after 2 weeks of trying to get updates downloaded - would just sit there on "downloading - 0%" and after trying a handfull of diagnostics, I have it working again! (my other computer was getting the updates fine - same OS, same modem)

I think this diagnostic tool may be the one that actualy fixed it

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab

Thanks.
I just tried that. It found 1 error but no links or advice on how to fix it, I allready knew it it had issues.

Even the recent 7 update rollup wont install : it just sits there :searching for updates" . Hey hold up , that rollup is supposed to actually be the update files :banana
I dont mind a challenge, but this is just a time soak (its a clean install, so a reload wont fix it) .
:)

10-08-2016, 09:23 AM
Fixed it. Only took a week :)

for future reference:
since the new update clients & the update rollup either didnt help or wouldnt install......

what you have to do is take it offline/disconnect from internet :badpc: :badpc:
Then the update rollup will actually install , and after that it Winupdate works as usual
Same for the update client . Take it offline before installing on problem PC's (from MS's forum)

Found this fix on MS's forum (so many with similar issues). So a banana to MS for such a great bug :banana

apsattv
13-08-2016, 05:01 AM
Do you have a link to the forum for reference

fred_fish
13-08-2016, 10:12 AM
Fixed it. Only took a week :)

for future reference:
since the new update clients & the update rollup either didnt help or wouldnt install......

what you have to do is take it offline/disconnect from internet :badpc: :badpc:
Then the update rollup will actually install , and after that it Winupdate works as usual
Same for the update client . Take it offline before installing on problem PC's (from MS's forum)

Found this fix on MS's forum (so many with similar issues). So a banana to MS for such a great bug :banana

Microsoft is embracing the new paradigm of Disruptive Technology - it's called Failure-as-a-Service :D

17-08-2016, 01:51 PM
The saga continues. Its really a mess

Another fresh 7SP1 re-install today..
I thought, I'll save time & just download the Win7 convenience update rollup pack (or whatever its called)
Some weeks back, that rollup was a 400Mb download (from memory, I remember it being a big download, as expected)

Today, the update rollup, for all the 7 patches since SP1 is ...... 29Mb
Thats right 29Mb. Via the direct download link : (as the download via the "Microsoft Update Catalog" page is broken : that page didnt work on a clean Win7 install )
:badpc: :badpc:

at least after installing that & a new update client, the Winupdates are coming down as expected, via winupates: all 218 of them.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/67305/convenience-rollup-makes-big-difference-windows-7-updating-still-broken
http://www.infoworld.com/article/3099109/microsoft-windows/microsoft-yanks-buggy-speed-up-patch-kb-3161608-replaces-it-with-kb-3172605-and-3172614.html

paulw
17-08-2016, 07:08 PM
Looks like the way of doing Win 7 and 8 updates is changing for the worse.
http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-no-longer-allows-installing-uninstalling-individual-updates-windows-7-windows-8-1-80226/

18-08-2016, 09:05 AM
this is bad...
"In case of issues that users are aware of before installing the update, they will have to reject the entire Monthly Rollup, which might also contain fixes to critical issues."

All this might explain some of the issues I had yesterday. I guess MS is transitioning to the new system .
Perhaps the update rollup I downloaded might have been for the month only .
That would explain its small size . It wont explain MS's extremely poor & totally misleading description on the download pages
:banana

Paul.Cov
24-08-2016, 07:02 PM
This one fixed it for me: KB3172605 - update for Windows Update Client.

Ideally download the update as a .msu file, ready for installation.

Go to Windows Update settings and turn off automatic updates.

Restart the computer to clear the stalled Update process.

Run the .msu

Reset your Update preferences to whatever you prefer.

Took a few days of frustration to get the damned issue sorted.

25-08-2016, 09:56 AM
This one fixed it for me: KB3172605 - update for Windows Update Client.

thats the monthly update rollup, which contains the update client.
Its all changing, now monthly updates only for 7 .
Possibly the changes MS are rolling out are causes some temp glitches as they reconfigure there update servers ?

Tony
29-08-2016, 04:16 PM
Doesn't help you, but I have never had a problem with Win7 updates. Just saying to show it is not a universal problem.

wainuitech
29-08-2016, 05:21 PM
Just a suggestion for future reinstalls, :nerd: once you have one all setup with all the updates, (no personal data) clone the drive, then on the clone, run sysprep. Select Audit mode. On the reboot remove the user account, then run sysprep this time select Generalize / OOBE / Shutdown.

Make a Image of the system as is, I use Active@ from a CD with the image going to either a External HDD or on one of my severs, then when ever you need to do another W7 install, drop the syspreped Image on the Computer, on start, enter in their Product Key, user Name, drivers for the computer and all the updates will have been done upto the point of making the image. :) save hours of work.