PDA

View Full Version : email security

Apteryx
04-08-2016, 02:51 PM
Many of the commercial emails I receive from websites suggest I view online. Which is the safer - viewing their blurb online or in the email?
is it already too late if Ive simply opened it but not clicked anything or opened pictures?:confused:

Speedy Gonzales
04-08-2016, 02:54 PM
Well unless you click on the pictures the links wont show

Kame
04-08-2016, 08:07 PM
Never ever clink links in emails, never.

If you are certain the link is for you, then copy and paste the link, it is so easy to disguise the actual place a link goes to due to being able to make a name/label different to the actual link.

e.g. http://verysafesite.com (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz)

Other techniques have been to use links that say it's been removed by an antivirus program, linking to the so called information for that virus, a case of curiosity is what they play on.

If you know they are suspicious, you really should not view them at all, sometimes the exploit/payload could be just by seeing the email, you get infected. Now that's a tougher technique and to be honest, it costs a lot of money to purchase it on the black market but if they can make profit back, they will.

Advertisements can also ship exploits, I wouldn't want people being paranoid, but it can happen to anyone, planned attacks leave you safe, random acts don't.

pctek
05-08-2016, 08:54 AM
Never ever clink links in emails, never.

I clicked some yesterday.
One was a tracking link and one an update on a shipment.

You need a bit of commonsense....if it's legit, it's OK.

CliveM
05-08-2016, 10:28 AM
I clicked some yesterday.
One was a tracking link and one an update on a shipment.

You need a bit of commonsense....if it's legit, it's OK.

+1

Commonsense, however, is in short supply nowadays.

dugimodo
05-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Yeah it's not practical to never click a link in practice, just don't click any you weren't expecting or don't recognise.
Many sites send clickable links to reset forgotten passwords for example, no easy way around clicking those but you should only see them if you've just requested a password reset so if you haven't then delete the E-mail and maybe contact the support for that site about it.

Product activation links is another one.

As to which is safer, if it's a known website or an E-mail from a reputable site then it's probably just as safe either way. If it's random spam or advertising go back to the never click anything advice. I would suggest reading the E-mail is marginally safer than viewing online, just because viewing online requires you to follow a link to a potentially unsafe site and your already have the E-mail at that point. Reading it via Webmail is probably the safest as the E-mail is not even on your machine that way.

I get Pbtech & similar promotional E-mails regularly with a link to view online if I want to, I've clicked those many times to get more detail on a product. No hacker invasion of my PC has resulted. But I know why I get E-mail from 1-day and first in and pbtech and the warehouse etc... if a new one turned up out of the blue I would be very suspicious.

05-08-2016, 04:19 PM
Many of the commercial emails I receive from websites suggest I view online. Which is the safer - viewing their blurb online or in the email?
is it already too late if Ive simply opened it but not clicked anything or opened pictures?:confused:

neither way is 100% safe.
There have been cases of legit webpages 3rd party adverts actually installing malware of PC's . And so many websites are riddled with adverts & links.
My old Boss was expecting a parcel from fedex, so he opened a 'fedex' email & got infected .
All people make mistakes, it happens .

If its a regular email , that comes say weekly, then I view it in the email program (I allow that 1 email to download the links & pics)

Kame
05-08-2016, 06:00 PM
There is so much to keeping yourself safe but many take the approach that if they are reputable then they are safe. It is all good to be expecting emails from someone but how do you guarantee it is from them and how do you know it is not tampered with?

The techniques to ensure this do exist and it seems we only ever shift when it becomes major.

When did you feel antivirus software was necessary? When viruses were first created, not everyone jumped onboard AV software when someone thought there was a need for it. It is again, this thinking of low risk that gets users in trouble.

My suggestion is probably ridiculous to not click any links but since programs love to obfuscate, like I did with the above link (which is safe and just goes to pressf1.pcworld.co.nz), it is safer to copy a link and paste it in your browser, there is usually two methods, copy link address or copy link text, text is what is being shown to you, address is where it will actually take you.

I am just not looking forward to a future where every action requires confirmation, as this is where it will head.