PDA

View Full Version : Monitors turn OFF randomly for no reason

bk T
03-08-2016, 03:57 PM
My monitors (dual monitors connected) turn OFF randomly for no reasons while the computer fans still spinning, just like it is going to 'sleep' mode but the PC seems to be still ON. Can't wake it up with mouse and Keyboard but to do a hard reset. It happens 3 times already since last Friday. There's no specific symptoms observed.

I have updated GPU driver, Power Options is set to "Never put the computer to sleep" ; Turn off the display : 30 minutes.

Checked monitor cables - OK.

MB: Asus Z97-A - latest BIOS updated.

GPU: Asus Nvidia GTX460 - latest driver installed

What should I do next?

pctek
03-08-2016, 04:12 PM
Swap out the monitors one at a time.

03-08-2016, 04:14 PM
Turn off power save's sleep & hibernation in control panel.
there will also be a setting in power save for the monitors, turn that off (ie so they are allways on)

it may just be the PC freezing, or vid card failing: worst case scenario.
Tap the caps lock & num lock & see if the keyboard LEDS respond next time,

bk T
03-08-2016, 04:15 PM
PCtek, you mean, disconnect one monitor first?

wratterus
03-08-2016, 05:46 PM
My money would be the GPU is on the fritz. Do you have a different card you could swap in temporarily?

bk T
04-08-2016, 09:13 AM
wratterus, I don't have a spare card!

I 'inherited' this 460 from my daughter about 6 months ago, it was work perfectly before.

pctek
04-08-2016, 01:14 PM
One monitor on at a time, see if any or both are failing.

Friend had this for ages....did all sorts of things and finally established it was her screen, it was intermittent.

bk T
04-08-2016, 02:26 PM
It's a dual monitor setup and when it happens, both the monitors went OFF.

Could be the driver problem, if I remember correctly, wainuitech mentioned a few times that I need to uninstall the old video driver first and reinstall the 'new' driver. Can't remember what uninstaller he was recommending, though. (getting old).