PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 update this afternoon - now cannot boot.

EFFIGY
28-07-2016, 06:40 PM
So there was a message that Windows 10 wanted to update. OK that's fine. Then it wanted to restart. OK that's normal...
But now, I can't get past the windows logo. The screen goes black, I have a white cursor arrow - and nothing. Even after an hour.
I have an ISO boot USB but I cant get it to work.
I tried to boot from the Bios, but that just takes me to the same place.
Black screen. Nothing.

I need help please.

Speedy Gonzales
28-07-2016, 06:51 PM
Did you press a key when it said to when you booted from the flash drive? You did extract the ISO with Rufus or something first right?

Can you remember what the update was? You could try booting it 3-4 times turn it off. It should give you the option to select system restore if it's still enabled

wainuitech
28-07-2016, 09:07 PM
Try this - Force the computer into recovery mode, or boot from the DVD/USB drive. If you cant boot from media, start windows as soon as it starts to load, press and hold the power button to crash, do this 3 times, on the third or forth time it will pop up attempting to repair, it will fail ( this is what's meant to happen) in recovery mode ---- Trouble Shoot / Advanced / Command Prompt - when the command window opens type in regedit ,< Press Enter> navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Power

On the right locate HiberbootEnabled Double click it, change the value from 1 to 0. Close regedit, reboot, all going well windows 10 will now start.

The majority of the time its the graphics that are stuck, esp bad on AMD graphics, disabling faststart sometimes fixes it.

Terry Porritt
29-07-2016, 08:55 AM
I had similar yesterday with Win 8.1 after an update (that may have been coincidence).
Booted into safe mode, went to device manager uninstalled AMD graphics driver but leaving the AMD software on the computer, re booted, then rebooted back into safe mode and reinstalled the driver. It was then all OK.

As Wainui said the AMD graphics had "stuck".

Edit: there were clues it was stuck graphics, there was the small blue circle periodically going around trying to do something, and an occasional small flash on the screen

EFFIGY
29-07-2016, 02:24 PM
HyberbootEnabled is already set to '0'.

EFFIGY
29-07-2016, 02:34 PM
Yes, I believe it was Rufus. I got the USB to work but I am still getting the black screen. I really don't want to reset unless I have to.

EFFIGY
29-07-2016, 02:36 PM
I have nVidia graphics, but I will give that a go... if I can even get to Safe Mode

EFFIGY
29-07-2016, 02:50 PM
I found my way to Safe Mode. But I have no mouse control, that is OK I fine with keyboard only.
Weirdly in Safe Mode I got a persistent message to say my Password was incorrect. I entered it correctly, multiple times. I then attempted to log on as Administrator and now have a non responsive message "You'll need a new app to open this ms-get-started"
Under the message is a box to check "Always use this app". I tabbed to the box and have now frozen. There is another window under the box, but I can't access that with just keyboard inputs.
I'm stuck again ��

EFFIGY
29-07-2016, 03:32 PM
It seems that the problem may have something to do with user my account. I got Windows to boot normally as Administrator. As soon as I clicked my account I was back to black screen.
The 'Administrator' account is a legacy from a failed remote assistance session with Microsoft a few months back, they were trying to fix my Office 365 and left me with that Administrator account. I don't use it and it has just sat there ever since. They created it not me.
Administrator is useless, none of my apps or data is available. I would delete it if I knew how. It does however confirm that I have a graphics problem, I think.

EFFIGY
29-07-2016, 03:52 PM
Definitely the graphics. I managed to get into my account and disabled the graphics driver, as Terry suggested, but as soon as I re-enabled it, back to black.
What now?

EFFIGY
29-07-2016, 04:03 PM
It seems that the problem may have something to do with user my account. I got Windows to boot normally as Administrator. As soon as I clicked my account I was back to black screen.
The 'Administrator' account is a legacy from a failed remote assistance session with Microsoft a few months back, they were trying to fix my Office 365 and left me with that Administrator account. I don't use it and it has just sat there ever since. They created it not me.
Administrator is useless, none of my apps or data is available. I would delete it if I knew how. It does however confirm that I have a graphics problem, I think.

Speedy Gonzales
29-07-2016, 04:12 PM
Does the other acct appear under control panel / user accounts?

EFFIGY
29-07-2016, 04:34 PM
Does the other acct appear under control panel / user accounts?
It does in Safe Mode

Speedy Gonzales
29-07-2016, 04:38 PM
Can you remove it in safe mode then?

EFFIGY
29-07-2016, 04:44 PM
Can you remove it in safe mode then?
No. I don't have that option

wainuitech
29-07-2016, 04:48 PM
If it is a graphic Driver problem, download this program: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html Scroll down the page to get the latest version -16.1 put it on a USB drive.

Since you can get into safe mode OK that's good, as that program wants to work in safe mode anyway. Run it and rip out all the graphic drivers. On reboot W10 should install the defaults and hopefully boot normally. Then you can figure out the correct drivers or W10 will put them in if it finds them.

Edited: you wont be able to remove administrator account its the default built into windows.

EFFIGY
29-07-2016, 05:23 PM
On reboot W10 should install the defaults and hopefully.......
*thud* face hits desk.
Nope, still black. The programme ran smoothly, l selected the recommended 'clean thoroughly' setting.
Now what ?

wainuitech
29-07-2016, 05:52 PM
For starters, go into safe mode with networking. Make sure you can get on the internet, main reason is to make sure the hardware is activated with MS, other wise if its not yet you wont get the free upgrade. Hopefully your Ethernet drivers are detected, once booted in safemode/networking go into the control panel / system, Check to see if its activated ( it will say near the bottom).

What you can try, once online ( in safemode) run windows update manually, see if it locates any drivers to install( its a long shot) If you have any antivirus software installed that has to come out as well.

Normally if its really bad and wont boot I save the data, wipe the drive and install from fresh. As long as its activated if you have to reinstall it will be OK after today, if not, then its missed out.

Been doing that today - started out as 4 upgrades today ended up with 6 ( still going) :waughh::waughh:

EFFIGY
29-07-2016, 05:55 PM
Standby, I may be having a breakthrough. I ran the tool a second time and got through to my desktop. Clearly there are no graphics drivers working. The nasty update is running (I had done a system restore early in the piece). Had to laugh at this...7329

EFFIGY
29-07-2016, 06:56 PM
OMG!
So long as I don't install the video driver I am fine.
Microsoft better fix this toute suite.
Top end graphics card and I can't use it!

EFFIGY
29-07-2016, 07:07 PM
Well I had everything up and running, except the video card. Installed the driver and back to black. If only Microsoft weren't so facelessly difficult to deal with. I think this is their doing, and they need to fix it fast. I also don't want to spend Friday night on the phone to the Phillipines.
Grrrrr

EFFIGY
29-07-2016, 07:32 PM
I have also lost a monitor. Windows can't detect it and I can't turn it on :\ I will try System Restore.

wainuitech
29-07-2016, 08:15 PM
Go to Nvidia's site and see if they have a driver for the card you have. They should have, these will override the Microsoft ones.

Have a look / work through http://www.geforce.com/drivers

I got a old PC here old nvidia card, Microsoft they say its not compatible with W10, so puts in basic drivers but nvidia drivers work perfectly. :)

EFFIGY
29-07-2016, 08:29 PM
I'm going to PM you - this has got really weird

Speedy Gonzales
29-07-2016, 08:30 PM
So after you install whatever drivers, does windowsupdate update them? If it does, use wushowhide and hide them. So WU wont install newer ones

So far I've had to use wushowhide to hide the wireless keyboard 800 drivers, because what Win10 installs (HID keyboard device),

WU kept installing wireless keyboard filter device, and event viewer kept logging errors for it. Something was missing in the install for it. And it got annoying !

Before that I had to do the same for the Canon MX436 because it kept stopping every time I checked for updates. Because I had installed the drivers already.

And I couldnt install other updates. Unless I hid the printer driver

EFFIGY
29-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Over it. Using the USB to fully reinstall.