PDA

View Full Version : printing

03-01-2002, 01:06 AM
I am finding that regardless of the imaging program I use when I get to the stage that I have a picture that appears to be ok from the point of view of Brightness, contrast etc, when I print the picture it is always too dark. Trying to compensate for this by deliberately making the picture too light (as far as its appearance on the monitor is concerned)is too much a matter of guesswork. Also printing out several copies until one appears reasonably ok is costly in terms of ink used.

I prefer to use iPhoto Plus to work on my pictures, and am using an Epson Stylus Colour 600 printer.

I appreciate that scanners, monitors, and printers all interprete colours differently, but how does one co-ordinate and adjust for these differences?

Can anyone help?

03-01-2002, 01:17 PM
bob

firstly make sure all these settings are selected

press properties,
make sure in 'installed cartridge' colour is selected
also make sure 'best' is selected in printing quality
then go to features and select manual.click options and make sure the settings are right for you.

hope this helps
bobby shen

03-01-2002, 02:22 PM
Your experience with printing is just what I have. Too dark,waste of ink etc. i have tried what Bobby said in his reply to you, but made no difference in darkness. I have a HP printer and use Ulead for photos and scan other images, they all come out too dark. I'll be interested in other replies you get.

03-01-2002, 02:39 PM
It will always be difficult -- the logarathmic response of the eye does not help.

There are various calibration systems around, because people preparing artwork for printing have to get it right.

You might have to experiment a bit. Make a picture with a line of 10mm square blocks of colours which you can print out, without wasting too much ink. Then use that file to adjust your monitor to show it 'correctly ' as printed. Then you can work on your real pictures with a bit of confidence.

04-01-2002, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the comments folks, however Bobby,my printer doesn't have the same options as those you refer to, but I have used what appear to be similar adjustments, but to no avail, as Jan C. has found.

Not sure I follow Graham's suggestion re adjusting the monitor to'show it correctly' (How?),but it rang a bell, as I seem to remember some kind of colour chart that needed adjustment at the time the printer was installed. I don't have a user manual and am reluctant to reinstall except as a last resort, but perhaps my recollection may also stir someone else's memory?

04-01-2002, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the comments folks, however Bobby,my printer doesn't have the same options as those you refer to, but I have used what appear to be similar adjustments, but to no avail, as Jan C. has found.

Not sure I follow Graham's suggestion re adjusting the monitor to'show it correctly' (How?),but it rang a bell, as I seem to remember some kind of colour chart that needed adjustment at the time the printer was installed. I don't have a user manual and am reluctant to reinstall except as a last resort, but perhaps my recollection may also stir someone else's memory?