PDA

View Full Version : Solid state drives and defraging

mzee
25-07-2016, 06:41 PM
As I understand it, SSD's can be damaged by defraging ......?
In Windows 8.1 and 10 defrag automatically. I have looked for a way to disable it, to no avail.
The only setting I can find is the frequency. Can't find any mention of it in 'group policy' or 'services'

CliveM
25-07-2016, 06:44 PM
Windows 10 is smart enough to know what kind of drive is fitted and will not defrag a SSD drive.

dugimodo
25-07-2016, 07:38 PM
Yep, also it doesn't damage an SSD it just increases the wear on them and shortens their life slightly as well as being completely unnecessary.

Speedy Gonzales
25-07-2016, 10:38 PM
I've read that you should disable hibernation as well. If you use an SSD.

nmercer
26-07-2016, 08:27 AM
Windows 10 is smart enough to know what kind of drive is fitted and will not defrag a SSD drive.

Windows 8 also does not foolishly or blindly running a defrag on your SSD every night.

no, Windows defrag isn't shortening the life of your SSD unnecessarily.

Basically you don't need to worry about it.

nmercer
26-07-2016, 08:28 AM
I've read that you should disable hibernation as well. If you use an SSD.

I've always used Hibernate with Windows on every PC even those with SSDs going back several years ago. Never seen or heard of a problem.

I wouldn't worry about it.

autechre
26-07-2016, 09:50 AM
Some SSD drives come with (or you can download) software from the manufacturer which will allow you to turn on/off various Windows features that might wear out your SSD prematurely.
Samsung's is SSD Magician
Crucial has Storage Executive

wratterus
26-07-2016, 11:22 AM
Some SSD drives come with (or you can download) software from the manufacturer which will allow you to turn on/off various Windows features that might wear out your SSD prematurely.
Samsung's is SSD Magician
Crucial has Storage Executive

Pretty much every manufacturer has software like this - it's well worth using.

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2016, 11:36 AM
I've always used Hibernate with Windows on every PC even those with SSDs going back several years ago. Never seen or heard of a problem.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I dont need it anyway. I dont use system restore either. I've never used it, so no point having it enabled

mzee
26-07-2016, 04:56 PM
Thanks, I won't worry about it :)