PDA

View Full Version : IDE Channel switching

02-01-2002, 11:43 PM
I've just got a Sony CD-RW with Memory Stick slot (tested Dec/Jan PCW). The insructions say it should be installed as the master on the secondary IDE channel. Because the Memory Stick slot is regarded as the slave there can not be anything else connected to the secondary channel. Assuming (I have ventured under the hood yet) my DVD Rom drive is currently the master on the secondary channel will switching it to the slave on the primary channel be an issue? Do I need to do anything other flick the jumper on the DVD Rom to slave? My PC is a PIII 667.

03-01-2002, 01:38 PM
You could switch it to primary slave if you wanted. However be warned that the interface will only operate at the speed of the slowest device on the cable. Eg if the DVD is ATA33 and you HDD is ATA66 you will only get ATA33 performance from the HDD.

03-01-2002, 05:38 PM
If you do connect the cdrom on the same channel, turn off auto insert notification because it causes the cdrom to be accessed about once a second which will interfere with your HDD because IDE can only access one device at a time (per channel).