PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 Important Settings

Pato
19-07-2016, 04:03 PM
Just finding my way around Win10 and I read on the Net all the things you should switch off. I can't believe they can ALL be that bad.

What are your thoughts on what should be attended to promptly.?

linw
19-07-2016, 04:32 PM
Depends how easily you get upset by these things. After a while, I just 'got over it' and left most as they were!

Being an Insider, if I worried about it, I would be jumping through hoops every couple of days ATM.

Just don't think anything bad is going to descend on me but you may think differently.

Sounds like you are having a good experience with win 10, though, so now you only have to weather another download after 2 Aug!

Cheers.

wratterus
19-07-2016, 04:36 PM
Nothing that I have a problem with, other than update delivery - just change that to local only.

wainuitech
19-07-2016, 04:58 PM
Most of the things I turn off are during installing via the customize option. Its not everything, but no real point in having any info being sent back if you personally never use it, example - Cortana wants to be a nosey but it doesn't work fully in NZ anyway unless you change the region to a country that does.

Only other things I turn off, and this increases performance, is the notifications. These can be a real power Hog and bring almost any W10 to a crawl, and often the cause of most people complaining about being slow or slow to start.

Sometimes if your computer is running slow, open Task manager and look at the Disk, often its at 90 -100%.

To turn them off from Search type in Notifications select one of the two options it gives, then under Notifications turn them all off, then watch the usage drop. If it doesn't then reboot and it will.

Pato
19-07-2016, 05:28 PM
Only other things I turn off, and this increases performance, is the notifications. These can be a real power Hog and bring almost any W10 to a crawl, and often the cause of most people complaining about being slow or slow to start.

.Thanks. Done.

Pato
19-07-2016, 05:30 PM
Nothing that I have a problem with, other than update delivery - just change that to local only.Can you explain the reason for doing this please.?

Cyberhuskey
19-07-2016, 06:15 PM
Go to

Settings / Update & security / Windows Update / Advance options / Choose how updates are delivered

Pato
19-07-2016, 06:43 PM
Go to

Settings / Update & security / Windows Update / Advance options / Choose how updates are deliveredI can't alter anything here.

chiefnz
19-07-2016, 09:31 PM
I use O&O ShutUp 10 to apply certain changes to Windows 10..... Link here (https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10)

Takes a lot of the guess work out and you can easily undo changes you made by re-running the exe.

Cheers,

Renegade
20-07-2016, 12:34 AM
Is there is any way to stop the update in windows 10 system.

Is there a way to stop you spamming links?

Pato
20-07-2016, 11:00 AM
I use O&O ShutUp 10 to apply certain changes to Windows 10..... Link here (https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10)

Takes a lot of the guess work out and you can easily undo changes you made by re-running the exe.

Cheers,That looks interesting. Thanks.

Pato
20-07-2016, 06:55 PM
Depends how easily you get upset by these things. After a while, I just 'got over it' and left most as they were!

Being an Insider, if I worried about it, I would be jumping through hoops every couple of days ATM.

Just don't think anything bad is going to descend on me but you may think differently.

Sounds like you are having a good experience with win 10, though, so now you only have to weather another download after 2 Aug!

Cheers.I am actually enjoying Win10, and coming from an old-timer I guess that says something. I had a fresh install done when I had to replace my HDD.

Now busy putting back Programs, and leaving out a lot of rubbish I really don't need.

tommy
20-07-2016, 09:58 PM
I just noticed that disk optimisation (defragging) is enabled in Win10 as I think it was for Win8x which is not good for SSD drives. Best to go into Drive Tools and turn it off for the SSD disk.

apsattv
21-07-2016, 06:12 AM
No its smart enough to know if you have an ssd and it won't try to defrag it.

pcuser42
21-07-2016, 08:14 AM

It won't even let me defrag my SSD anyway.

bellbird
21-07-2016, 10:14 AM
Nothing that I have a problem with, other than update delivery - just change that to local only. Hi wratterus, can I just check that I have done this correctly. Settings>Update and Security>Windows Update>Advanced Options>Choose how updates are delivered>select on for "when this is turned on........." and then select PC's on my local network. thanks

Speedy Gonzales
21-07-2016, 10:15 AM
Or select whatever option in Samsung Magician if you've got a Samsung SSD. That'll disable it. I also disabled hibernation as well.

Some sites say thats not good for SSD's either

wratterus
21-07-2016, 12:25 PM
Hi wratterus, can I just check that I have done this correctly. Settings>Update and Security>Windows Update>Advanced Options>Choose how updates are delivered>select on for "when this is turned on........." and then select PC's on my local network. thanks

Bang on.

wratterus
21-07-2016, 12:26 PM
Can you explain the reason for doing this please.?

Basically if update delivery is fully on, potentially your PC could act as a P2P node and upload update data to other PCs. Perfectly safe, but not something most people would want.

Pato
21-07-2016, 01:50 PM
wratterus, When I had a look at mine, it is turned off, and greyed out, so I can't even switch it on. Perhaps the tech did this when I had an upgrade, but I thought that there would be some way

of turning it on again.? Any thoughts on this.?

tommy
21-07-2016, 05:40 PM

It won't even let me defrag my SSD anyway.

That is really handy to know.