PDA

View Full Version : HDMI setup foMB.

Bryan
16-07-2016, 08:06 PM
I have a ASUS M5A78L-USB3 motherboard running WIN10 Pro. The mb has a single HMDI port.

I also have a Sony Blu-ray Disc/DVD player model BDP-S5200. This has an HDMI port also to be able to connect to a HDMI port on my TV or monitor.

What I would like to do is be able to play and record DVDs to my PC hard drive. To do this I would have thought I could just connect the two devices and I should see the DVD from the Blu-ray player on my monitor via the PC.

Can anyone confirm that I should be able to do this or is the HDMI port on the mother board able to send data but not receive. If the mother board can receive data, how can I set it up? I cannot work it out.

The Blu-ray player does have a USB port so I guess I can go that route if I cannot use the HDMI port.

dugimodo
16-07-2016, 09:29 PM
No they are both outputs so you can't connect them together. You'd need a video capture card with HDMI in to do what you want.

Speedy Gonzales
16-07-2016, 09:31 PM
Dont think you can since the HDMI on the mobo is HDMI out not HDMI in

I think you can use that BR player as a media player but you cant record from it to a PC. I've got the same BR player connected to this TV

The USB port on it would be for video formats it supports.

dugimodo
16-07-2016, 09:46 PM
Also another note, DVD's & Blu-rays have copy protection that will prevent you recording the stream. Some older analogue capture devices used to ignore it for DVD's but they are ancient history these days.

If you want to store DVD movies on your hard drive (only non copyrighted personal disks of course) you're better off using a ripping program and a PC optical drive.
To archive my Blu-ray and DVD collection I paid for just the ripping tools from DVDfab (the whole suite is far too expensive and I don't need most of it). There are free alternatives but I like how easy DVDfab is.

Please note it is illegal to rip or copy commercial movies in NZ even if you own the disk, we have fair use laws for music only. There is no Video equivalent.
Make of that what you will.