PDA

View Full Version : Something different, for me.

ianhnz
16-07-2016, 04:04 PM
Was having a play around on the Microsoft site and came accross this piece of information and be interested in your comments?

Cortana is only currently available on Windows 10 for the United States, United Kingdom, China, France, Italy, Germany, and Spain
That is so unfair, why aren't we allowed it?
Was told if you want it, change to UK, but can't understand why we can't have it????

Terry Porritt
16-07-2016, 04:16 PM
Probably the NZ accent is in the too hard basket for American software developers ? :banana

Speedy Gonzales
16-07-2016, 04:32 PM
Yup thats right. I think it's available in Oz too. It's on my windows phone. It's not bad. Just changed the language and speech to US

ianhnz
16-07-2016, 05:26 PM
Probably the NZ accent is in the too hard basket for American software developers ? :banana

I'm not sure our accent are too far removed from the Poms.
But some of them are hard to understand

ianhnz
16-07-2016, 05:27 PM
Yup thats right. I think it's available in Oz too. It's on my windows phone. It's not bad. Just changed the language and speech to US
So you have to talk with a Yank accent now????

dugimodo
16-07-2016, 06:21 PM
I changed to UK and gave it a try, worked ok mostly but I couldn't find any real use for it. Got it to launch some programs and do some searches, but not any easier than just using the keyboard and forces you to use Bing to search and defaults to the Edge browser for results

wainuitech
16-07-2016, 06:30 PM
Cortana does work if you change to US,UK or Aussie settings. One of the reasons it doesn't yet have a NZ option is to use it correctly it needs to be able to answer issues with regionalizing , different cultures, etc.

Another is understanding NZ place names. Ask about Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch, and other such place names and it gets it reasonably right - but try saying some Maori name and she more or less goes WTF ??? and simply wont respond.

A persons accent doesn't really have anything to do with it, as you are meant to work through the speech Recognition setup first so it picks up on how a person speaks. When setup it learns how you speak and adjusts accordingly , and you can control the computer Via Voice commands, or ask questions to which it supplies an answer either verbally or opens a web search page with results. ( to a degree)

Unfortunately its not quit like Star Trek ----- yet ;)

mzee
16-07-2016, 06:38 PM
Maybe they are still sore about us not allowing nuclear ships in NZ waters :) Chatting to Cortana would be about as frustrating as the voice messaging on the Inland Revenue website. Did you read the small print concerning the lack of privacy of anything said on Cortana? This is nothing new, there has been voice software available for years.

ianhnz
16-07-2016, 07:14 PM
I changed to UK and gave it a try, worked ok mostly but I couldn't find any real use for it. Got it to launch some programs and do some searches, but not any easier than just using the keyboard and forces you to use Bing to search and defaults to the Edge browser for results

Thanks for sharing that.
I have wondered if the Apple Mac one is better??

ianhnz
16-07-2016, 07:16 PM
Thats true.
Thank you.

ianhnz
16-07-2016, 07:18 PM
Yes I remember years ago a system where you could talk and it would print it out.
I tried a demo version and it didn't understand me.