PDA

View Full Version : Windows Installer Properties grayed out so cannot change - Win 10 Pro 64bit

CliveM
14-07-2016, 03:36 PM
As per the title I cannot change the properties for the windows installer service from manual to automatic as all options are grayed out. I understand that the startup type should be changed to automatic to install some programs.
I am currently attempting to install "evoluent_mouse_manager_5.61.msi" but Windows comes up with "The installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows installer Package".
I have contacted the vendors who state that the package is valid. Following suggestions from Evoluent and also what I have found with Google I have deregistered and reregistered the Windows Installer service, rebooted my PC and had a look in Reg edit but could not find anything there to change Windows Installer options.
I currently have elevated administrator rights but all to no avail.
As much as I hate to admit defeat I would be grateful for some expert advice on the subject.

TIA

CYaBro
14-07-2016, 06:26 PM
That installer service is the same on mine so you shouldn't need to change any of the settings with that.
Just start the service if it isn't running. Automatic just means that the service will always start when the system is booted up.
Manual means that the service will start when it is required.
Sounds to me like the .msi file is corrupt, have you tried downloading it again?

CliveM
14-07-2016, 09:54 PM
Thanks for your input CYaBro. I will look into that when I have time tomorrow.