PDA

View Full Version : Screen goes black for 1-2 seconds

Mike
09-07-2016, 09:28 AM
We have a problem with the screen on our PC. It goes black for a second or two, sometimes several times a minute, sometimes it's several hours between occurrences. Doesn't appear to be any real pattern or cause (that I can determine at least).

I've updated the drivers to the latest, and have changed the plugs the cable is plugged into. I'm trying to find another cable to test that, but haven't got one handy at this stage. I did attempt to switch from graphics card to onboard, but I couldn't figure out how to activate the onboard graphics :D

Running Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Screen has only HDMI plugs (2x), graphics card is a NVidia Geforce GT 520 (a few years old now). Screen is a Sony Playstation 3D 24" monitor (http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessories/sony-playstation-3d-display-ps3/index.html)

The blackouts happen whether we're using the computer or not - we notice it while we're sitting watching tv and the screen (on the PC around the corner) just goes black for a moment. The power LED on the front doesn't change colour (when the power save comes on after 15 mins the LED changes to amber, but when these blackouts occur it stays green.

Any suggestions on cause/fix, or how to enable my onboard?

Thanks,
Mike.

wainuitech
09-07-2016, 12:13 PM
The fact that the LED is staying green usually indicates that its receiving a signal.

What you need to do is sort out whats actually faulting. No point in playing about with the Computer if the monitor is the cause.

What you can do is try another monitor, that right away will determine where the problem is.

A while back ( couple of years) sorted out a similar problem, cant remember the exact settings but there was something in the menu that needed to be changed.

Did find a video on youtube, with some suggestions may or may not apply to your problem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwPB7Ps0xo4

Mike
09-07-2016, 01:08 PM
Thanks Wainuitech - I'll tentatively say that the youtube video may have fixed it - not blackouts in the past hour... will see how it goes through the rest of the day :)

cheers,
Mike.

B.M.
09-07-2016, 01:15 PM
Iím with Wainui, try another Monitor.

I had the same symptoms with my Samsung 22Ē and that was blown capacitors, about 4 as I recall. $5 poorer I was up and running again and hasnít missed a beat since.

(What a prick of a thing to get apart though) :badpc:

Mike
17-07-2016, 10:19 AM
Wainuitech - the youtube video helped (the frequency of the blackouts has dropped noticeably), although it's still happening. But it has confirmed the issue is with my monitor and not something else, so I guess that's what I'll have to deal to next.

Cheers,
Mike.

wainuitech
17-07-2016, 10:39 AM
That's why I mention in the other post Second line - ya need to find out what actually faulting. :) It would be a complete waste of money going out and purchasing a new Graphic Card and it still does it.

I've been to plenty of customers places that have had similar - bring in an old 17" LCD plug it in and the problem doesn't appear. Often if its intermittent I'll leave the LCD there for a day or so to see if it happens again. Been other times plug in my LCD and the same happens - Sweet, that's ruled out the Monitor. No point in spending money on components that aren't faulty.