PDA

View Full Version : Re 'virus or not?' post

02-01-2002, 05:46 PM
Thanx to all respondees. I am now red-faced and looking for how to restore the deleted file. Guess I win the first Wally-of -the -week award for this year!

02-01-2002, 06:14 PM
How to restore the deleted file? Easy! Scroll down 11 posts to 'Missing Files' - the answer is there.

and don't stress - the red face will turn to smugness the next time someone sends you a similar email and YOU reply that it was a hoax!

02-01-2002, 10:31 PM
Hi Ray - I got sent this warning from a friend in the UK who is in the IT section of the Special Branch, so I took it seriously. It was just that because of the time difference, I was well into the day mentioned and had no ill-effects. So I checked with Symantes before I did anything. Always a good starting point after virus-warnings.It made me feel good telling him it was a hoax and how to repair the 'friendly-fire'
Windows 98
If you are using Windows 98, you can restore the file using the System File Checker.
1. Click Start and then click Run.
2. Type sfc and then press Enter.
3. Click 'Extract one file from installation disk.'
4. In the 'Specify the system file you would like to restore' box, type the following, and then click Start:

c:\windows\command\sulfnbk.exe

NOTE: If you installed Windows to a different location, make the appropriate substitution.

The Extract File dialog box appears.

5. Next to the 'Restore from' box click Browse, and browse to the location of the Windows installation files. If they were copied to the hard drive, this is, by default, C:\Windows\Options\Cabs. You can also insert the Windows installation CD in the CD-ROM drive and browse to that location.
6. Click OK and follow the prompts.