PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to Win10

Pato
01-07-2016, 02:29 PM
Wainuitech, I am getting my technician to install an SSD for the OS and replacing the faulty 1TB HDD and upgrade to Win10 . I would like to have been able to roll back to Win7, but he suggested

that is would be better to do a clean install of Win10, which will not allow me to roll back if I don't like it. What are your thoughts on this suggestion please.?

wratterus
01-07-2016, 02:31 PM
Not Wainui, but I would certainly go for a fresh install, as long as the tech is able to help you setup any software and transfer data etc you require. Fresh install always runs better.

Pato
01-07-2016, 02:49 PM
Not Wainui, but I would certainly go for a fresh install, as long as the tech is able to help you setup any software and transfer data etc you require. Fresh install always runs better.That is what the tech' said.

He will transfer data for me. Loosing the ability to go back to Win7 concerns me a little, but I guess I will like Win10.

Bryan
01-07-2016, 02:55 PM
Keep the old HDD and you could always add it back to the PC if you didn't like W10, but you will like it. Just keep the old W7 HDD safe just in case.

01-07-2016, 03:19 PM
Keep the old HDD and you could always add it back to the PC if you didn't like W10, but you will like it. Just keep the old W7 HDD safe just in case.

That :)
if you dont like 10.....
With the old HD, you can just reclone to the new SSD
or , use your 7 install key to re-install Win7 later to the SSD (wiping 10)

You wont (shouldnt) lose the ability to go back to 7, but wont be a simple process.

CliveM
01-07-2016, 03:30 PM
You will be surprised at how quickly you will get used to W10 and wonder why you were reluctant to give It a go.

wainuitech
01-07-2016, 03:36 PM
Better late than never :D-- Yep as its been suggested, a fresh install is always better, and from experience it causes a lot less trouble as well.

If you wanted to go back to W7 all it means is that it would need to be a fresh install of W7. MS say you cant do that as W10 eats the key, BUT from doing it several times W7 installs and activates perfectly fine.

I'll say this -- If you are used to W7, REALLY in reality changing to W10 is not that different. MANY people get a preconception its bad and radically different, where in fact its not.

An example: ( story time) I was at a guys place a few weeks back, he said he had heard how bad the start menu with W10 was --- So I showed him, he also had a W7 laptop sitting right beside W10 PC and did these steps first on one then the other.

Click on start button up pops the start menu (same with both) Commonly used programs appear at the top or can be added if required -- (Same on Both). On W7 to get to the list of programs -- W7 Click All Programs -- W10 SAME location but called All Apps ( big deal) W7 Everything is listed alphabetically, programs first then Folders -- W10 alphabetically & numerical at the beginning. He said Exactly "so whats the bloody problem ??? W10 is actually better and easier to find by the looks". He said, he often goes into the control panel - its gone, been replaced by setting :( --NOPE, right click the start menu -WOW -- So easy.

The explorer menus --OK only ever so slightly different but nothing that you cant learn in a couple of minutes.

His next question was -- So wheres the confusion that every one hates ----My reply-- you tell me :)

Guess whose W7 laptop I'm collecting next week to do a fresh install to W10, as the more he uses W10 the more he likes it, esp after I changed a couple of settings to make it run better with less problems ;) Hes only got 1 old program that wont run in W10 -- BUT install it in compatibility mode and it works perfect. :thumbs:

Pato
01-07-2016, 03:46 PM
Thanks Wainui, and others, for your helpful comments. I feel I can proceed with confidence LOL. Cheers.

wainuitech
01-07-2016, 04:04 PM
CliveM's post really does sum it up nicely :thumbs:

Pato
01-07-2016, 05:14 PM
CliveM's post really does sum it up nicely :thumbs:I have read similar posts but I guess like everything else you mainly get more of the negative comments.

wratterus
01-07-2016, 05:16 PM
Exactly. People hardly ever rave when something is good, but guaranteed you'll always hear the complaints. I personally don't see any reasons someone would go for 7 over 10 now.

Bryan
01-07-2016, 05:21 PM
Pato, I had my doubts at first but honestly once you bite the bullet you will never go back.

Pato
01-07-2016, 06:50 PM
Pato, I had my doubts at first but honestly once you bite the bullet you will never go back.And having plenty of time on my hands I can slowly explore everything at a slow pace!!

linw
02-07-2016, 10:32 AM
It's all about attitude. I have upgraded about 25 comps for various non-techo people and not one has grizzled. Frankly, many probably didn't notice!!

Being willing to explore is all you need, Pato!

Report back after crossing to the other side.

John H
02-07-2016, 11:31 AM
Pato, I hope this won't hijack your thread, but could you please explain why you have chosen to go with a SSD? What are the advantages/disadvantages of a SSD over a conventional HD?

I am not sure whether you are going to have one SSD for the whole computer, or if you intend to have an SSD for the OS and a HDD for data? Is this for a desktop or a notebook?

The reason I am asking is because I now only have a notebook with a 1TB HDD and am wondering what I should do regarding staying with Win8.1 or going to Win10.

Pato
02-07-2016, 11:39 AM
It's all about attitude. I have upgraded about 25 comps for various non-techo people and not one has grizzled. Frankly, many probably didn't notice!!

Being willing to explore is all you need, Pato!

Report back after crossing to the other side.LOL. I will report back. At least I haven't any more hair to loose should I get frustrated with Win10.

fred_fish
02-07-2016, 01:26 PM
Sure is fast .... :D

b....
02-07-2016, 01:36 PM
John H. SPEED is the reason to go to a SSD. They are FAST to load, FAST to retrieve data, in fact just much FASTER than a HDD.
You will really notice the difference converting from HDD to SSD.

Only real possible downside is that SSD has less storage volume.

bevy121
02-07-2016, 02:50 PM
not so much less storage, more the cost of larger ssd's

for instance - a Samsung 3.84 terabyte SSD will set you back between $4000 - $5000!

Or an intel 4 terabyte PCI-e SSD - prices range between $15,000 to $23.000, but there's none in stock here, has to be ordered :)

I won't be getting one anytime soon ;)

Intel® SSD DC P3608 Series
(4.0TB, 1/2 Height PCIe 3.0 x8, 20nm, MLC)

Pato
02-07-2016, 03:30 PM
Pato, I hope this won't hijack your thread, but could you please explain why you have chosen to go with a SSD? What are the advantages/disadvantages of a SSD over a conventional HD?

I am not sure whether you are going to have one SSD for the whole computer, or if you intend to have an SSD for the OS and a HDD for data? Is this for a desktop or a notebook?

The reason I am asking is because I now only have a notebook with a 1TB HDD and am wondering what I should do regarding staying with Win8.1 or going to Win10.I was advised that a

ssd drive would be faster and that is the only reason I am getting one. There is a lot of information on the net about the pros and cons of SSD. I am using a desktop and the SSD is for the OS only and the HDD for data.

As you will see my main concern was the fact that with a clean install of win10 I would not be able to roll back to win7 but I am not longer worried about that after all the advice I have been given on here.

John H
02-07-2016, 05:20 PM
Thanks everyone. That is all that I had found out about on the net - speed v cost.

I have a laptop that is about three years old, with a 1TB HD. I checked it out earlier today, and find that I partitioned it when I bought it, and there is an OS partition and a Data partition. This is how they stack up:
Data: 536 GB free of 537GB!

In other words I did the partition but didn't set anything up to write Data to the second partition. Given that I am retired and only doing wee bits of work from time to time, I guess I don't need a TB HD! Neither do I need extra speed over and above what I have at the moment, given the way I use the thing. I use my Nexus 9 tablet more than I use the computer.

What may be a good idea is to get a half TB HD set up with Windows 10 and my data copied over. Kind of like Pato but not involving a SSD.

linw
03-07-2016, 10:40 AM
There is absolutely no reason to do what you contemplate. It doesn't matter a jot that the DATA partition is unused. You simply upgrade to win 10 on the C: drive.

If you wanted to delete the DATA partition and merge it into the C: then that is very easily done as well, but not necessary.