PDA

View Full Version : alternatives to windows search

14-06-2016, 10:41 AM
Is anyone using a freeware alternative to the Win7,8,10 search ?
Something that DOESNT rely on the indexing service (some of the alternatives required that)

I hate the modern Win search, just awefull.
I dont want it to search inside files , it doesnt give the results I want, doesnt allways find the files (that are there), just not something I trust

How I miss the simplicity of the XP search.
Any recommendations ?

bevy121
14-06-2016, 11:15 AM
have you tried Everything?

Blisteringly fast

Has it's own indexing built in - takes a little time to index the first time it's run only (30 seconds or so depending on the size of your discs)

https://www.voidtools.com/downloads/

Lurking
14-06-2016, 11:21 AM
Someone on here mentioned Everything, when the XP search bombed out on this desktop.

Managed to find the XP disk after cleaning up after the quakes: Windows Explorer.

W10 don't you just type in the file name where the magnifying glass is on te taskbar?.

lurking.

dugimodo
14-06-2016, 11:43 AM
I actually rather like windows 10 search and use it a lot, but not from the task bar or start menu. The search I use is the search box at the top right corner of windows explorer, I manually navigate to a directory and then use the search to find a particular file or folder. Necessary because I don't sort my files often enough and the directories I store stuff in are rather cluttered. But I do tend to know the directory to start looking in which makes it a bit easier.

I also really like using it for moving multiple files with similar names from one directory to another without having to open multiple sub directories to do it. I just cut and paste files directly from the search results.

14-06-2016, 12:00 PM
have you tried Everything?

Has it's own indexing built in - takes a little time to index the first time it's run only (30 seconds or so depending on the size of your discs)

cheers , but
I need a search tool that DOESNT require indexing . For one off searches on external drive, building an index is time wasted. I should have mentioned that.
Ultrasearch & fileseek seem to do do want I want, not far from perfect though : a little buggy when deleting multiple files found in a search .

For simple filename search, or a one off search ,Windows built in search (via the right hand corner) is terrible. I just want file names , but it will search inside files regardless.. Its only good if you want to search inside docs & want fast indexed searches . It also has issues when the index becomes corrupt or not up to date.

linw
14-06-2016, 12:01 PM
+1 for 'Everything'. Been using it for years.

pcuser42
14-06-2016, 01:45 PM
To search in file names only using Windows search, type name:<search term>. :)

pctek
14-06-2016, 02:34 PM
I have Explorer +++ and Explorer 2 Lite.
Both better than MSs

coldot
14-06-2016, 03:48 PM
Agent Ransack from Mythicsoft

rumpty
14-06-2016, 03:49 PM
UltraFileSearch Lite is very good on W7. No indexing. Does the job on W10 too, but is strangely slow to load, perhaps eight seconds?

Neil McC
14-06-2016, 07:47 PM
Using MasterSeeker.Suits me.
http://www.master-seeker.com/?ref=uiabout

Gmues
15-06-2016, 08:33 PM
I'm using Lookeen Free (https://free.lookeen.com/) for several years and I'm totally satisfied with it because you get the really fast results.