PDA

View Full Version : HDD - WD vs Seagate

bk T
14-06-2016, 09:29 AM
Wanting to add another 2TB HDD for storage.

WD Blue - 5400 RPM vs Seagate - 7200 RPM

They are about the same price ($109+GST at PB) and all have 2 years warranty.

Looking at the above, Seagate seems to be a better buy (7200RPM) ; do they still have problems?

Your views, please.

Cheers.

14-06-2016, 09:35 AM
I thought the warranty was 3 years (sometimes 5 years)?
maybee PBTech are parallel importing & not giving the full warranty ?

https://support.wdc.com/Warranty/warrantyPolicy.aspx?lang=en

bk T
14-06-2016, 09:51 AM
Blue Edition has only 2 years same as many other dealers.

dugimodo
14-06-2016, 10:12 AM
Both are good, I have mostly stuck with WD since the firmware issues Seagate had way back but I do have a couple of Seagate 4TB green drives I use to back up my NAS and have used the SSHD drives for boot disks a couple of times. I haven't heard much bad about Seagate since the firmware fiasco but because WD have worked well for me I've stuck with them. I was surprised the Blue drive is 5400 RPM because that's the standard desktop drive, green is the storage range for both brands. I'd compare transfer rates and seek times rather than RPM if you really care about performance though.

Does speed really matter that much for a storage drive? do you copy large amounts of data back and forth on a regular basis? Mine get stuff put on them and it just sits there so it's not terribly important to me.
Even "Slow" drives are quick enough for streaming duties etc. I use WD red drives in my NAS and Seagate greens for my weekly backup of them, neither have given me any trouble

Maybe just use a green drive for storage, that's their purpose.

bk T
14-06-2016, 10:55 AM
Thanks, dugimodo for your views.

I think 5400rpm vs 7200rpm will not make much (or hardly any) noticeable differences in our everyday normal use, but in terms of value for money, don't you think that 7200rpm is a better choice, if they are similar in quality and performance?

Lawrence
14-06-2016, 11:11 AM
See Warehouse Stationary has 2TB Seagate Drives on special for $99 ATM

http://www.warehousestationery.co.nz/product/B215659.html