PDA

View Full Version : G.Fast - 750 MBPS - High Speed Internet over Copper Wires

GermanShepherdN7
13-06-2016, 11:01 AM
Does anyone have any new details in regards to this technology?

http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/16/technology/gfast-internet-speeds/

https://bgr.com/2016/05/17/g-fast-google-fiber/

How likely does anyone think this is to actually becoming a reality?

Thanks in advance for any new info or insight! :)

dugimodo
13-06-2016, 11:43 AM
This Forum and therefore most of the regulars here are Based in NZ, your questions make it seem like maybe you are US based? Our country is currently installing fibre to most households and that is where all the service providers here are heading so there's not much interest in copper solutions or any likelihood they will happen here. Also however good copper can be fibre is just better.

We don't have a big enough market to support 2 competing cable networks so it's unlikely. Chorus who own most of the copper network here don't seem to want to invest any money in it instead focussing on fibre for any growth wherever possible.

However in large countries where there is a significant copper network in place and a much bigger customer base technology like this could very easily get implemented. The biggest cost involved in any broadband internet or telecommunications network is the cables in the ground, once they are in place it is more cost effective most of the time to improve the equipment attached to them than to replace them.

Nobody is ever going to build a new copper network though. Look up the price of copper cables and try to imagine how many miles of it are in the ground and you'll understand why. Fibre is cheaper overall and inherently better in many ways. Anyone building a new network would be crazy too use copper.

CYaBro
13-06-2016, 12:40 PM
It would be a great option for those of us who live an in an ADSL only rural area that has no plans for ADSL2+, VDSL or fibre!
Also not able to get any wireless broadband coverage. :(

13-06-2016, 01:13 PM
2 questions:

what distance will it work over .
whats the comparative cost of hardware (for the ISP, Telco)

some nonsense in that article , so cant believe any of it
"....Bringing fiber from the street to just to one home can cost $100,000, according to Sckipio. "
Really , really ? why not give av realistic costs

"By comparison, the boxes on the street that need to be installed to power G.Fast cost about $70,000. And the cost of bringing that to your home is $0,"
more nonsense. If theres setup costs, then the consumer will Pay, in one way or another

wratterus
13-06-2016, 01:23 PM
I thought G.fast was only useful for < 500m over standard copper? Or has there been some better tech discovered?

It's an awesome thing for high density suburbs, and in particular older multi story apartment buildings, where setting up FTTH is difficult and costly.

In NZ, this would not really help a lot, outside of Auckland anyway.

linw
13-06-2016, 01:48 PM
Impressive technology by the sounds of things but there is still the problem of dodgy copper joints! After a heavy rain you might only get 500 Mbps!!

wratterus
13-06-2016, 01:54 PM
Paging @Chilling? He's bound to know a bit more about this tech... :p

CYaBro
13-06-2016, 03:11 PM
I thought G.fast was only useful for < 500m over standard copper? Or has there been some better tech discovered?

It's an awesome thing for high density suburbs, and in particular older multi story apartment buildings, where setting up FTTH is difficult and costly.

In NZ, this would not really help a lot, outside of Auckland anyway.

Yea you might be right so no good for rural then.
I thought I had read somewhere that you would still get good speeds up to about 5kms from the exchange/cabinet but maybe not.

wratterus
13-06-2016, 03:47 PM
Yeah well I could well be wrong too

CYaBro
13-06-2016, 03:49 PM
Yeah well I could well be wrong too

:eek:

gary67
13-06-2016, 06:16 PM
Be awesome for us, this suburb has not even been put on the we will eventually instal fibre list, yet they are going to build another 400 houses here.

coldot
15-06-2016, 10:59 AM
Our suburb and our house have been here over 45 years and have only just made it to the fibre promised list.

GermanShepherdN7
15-06-2016, 02:58 PM
dugimodo, great insight as I am indeed in the U.S.

For me, this would be a great option, as the rates for fiber are kinda pricey. ;)

And my thanks to all, for your info and responses! :)