PDA

View Full Version : GTX770 Dual Monitor

stevensaaron
11-06-2016, 09:09 PM
Hey guys just wondering

I have a GTX770 2Gb with 2x Phillips (http://www.philips.co.nz/c-p/278C4QHSN_75/brilliance-lcd-monitor-with-ambiglow)

1 is connected via HDMI, the other is VGA, wondering if it's possible or worth putting the VGA screen onto HDMI too, or even use the DVI-D port??

Or even is it possible to still use the Mob HDMI port?? (Mob is: ASUS Z87-A Intel Z87 ATX Haswell LGA1150 )

Cheers,
Aaron

pcuser42
11-06-2016, 09:15 PM
If the monitor doesn't have DVI input (which would be surprising) you can get a cheap HDMI to DVI cable/adapter to connect that monitor through DVI.

Depending on the motherboard you may be able to use both dedicated and integrated graphics at the same time (mine allows this), but you won't get the same performance on the monitor connected to integrated.

dugimodo
12-06-2016, 12:13 AM
In theory digital gives a better picture, HDMI or DVI-D doesn't matter, the quality is the same except HDMI can carry Audio as well.
In practice it's often hard to actually tell the difference. I use onboard to drive my 2nd screen, has to be enabled in the BIOS. I just do it so Watching Video on the 2nd monitor should theoretically not effect my gaming performance as much
No Idea if it really helps much.

stevensaaron
12-06-2016, 01:03 AM
In theory digital gives a better picture, HDMI or DVI-D doesn't matter, the quality is the same except HDMI can carry Audio as well.
In practice it's often hard to actually tell the difference. I use onboard to drive my 2nd screen, has to be enabled in the BIOS. I just do it so Watching Video on the 2nd monitor should theoretically not effect my gaming performance as much
No Idea if it really helps much.

Thanks Guys.

I just had a quick look and realised that the Outputs the GTX770 has is 1x DVI-I, 1x DVI-D, 1x HDMI & 1x Display Port

I currently have 1 monitor in the HDMI, and 1 in the DVI-I via a DVI-I/VGA Adapter as the screens have VGA and HDMI Input Options.

So mainly I was just asking as I would like to connect a 3rd screen, when i need to just as an extra screen for a web browser, etc, when I'm using the 2 main screens for video/photo work etc.

so was just working out what option would work best, even if I set up the third screen to run off the Mobo On-Board Graphics, it doesn't need the power as the intensive work would be done on the screens from the Graphics Card.
And just get a DVI-HDMI cable to replace the DVI-VGA Adapter I currently have.

:D
thanks guys,