PDA

View Full Version : antivirus

glenbuc76
07-06-2016, 11:29 PM
Hi+, I'm looking for a good antivirus prog. what suggestions can you guys make.
I'm using Zone alarm & it doesn't impress me 1 bit.
thanks for any help.

pcuser42
08-06-2016, 12:03 AM
NOD32. :thumbs:

CliveM
08-06-2016, 09:18 AM
NOD32. :thumbs:

+1

stevenvanduyn
08-06-2016, 09:36 AM
+1

I have been using kaspersky and Bit defender for the last 14 years and they both great

autechre
08-06-2016, 09:37 AM
Paid: NOD32
Free: Avast

Bobh
08-06-2016, 11:51 AM
NOD32 for me.

Zippity
08-06-2016, 12:43 PM
Avast - the paid version :)

Speedy Gonzales
08-06-2016, 12:58 PM
I have been using kaspersky and Bit defender for the last 14 years and they both great

Hopefully theyre not running at the same time. Otherwise you'll be crawling or crashing. Altho, I wouldnt choose either of them

dugimodo
08-06-2016, 02:09 PM
Tried Kaspersky, Hated it. Slowed down web page access horribly on my PC. That was a couple years ago and I haven't used it again to know if it got better.

I'm possibly not the best example though. I use windows defender as my only full time protection and do occasional scans with malwarebytes and NOD32's free online scanner as a backup - as well as having an actual system image backup. Works for me and it's free but I'm not worried about the prospect of having to Nuke everything and start over.

Incidentally I sometimes go months without running Malwarebytes or NOD32's online tool - and rarely find anything more than a few cookies which don't really concern me. It used to flag up my lightcoin mining software when I was using it, I but gave that failed experiment up years ago as well so I just uninstalled that.

One of these days I might pay for anti-virus software, maybe. If I do it'll likely be NOD32.

08-06-2016, 03:17 PM
Paid: NOD32 : may not actually detect better than some free AV's, it certainly hasnt got a 100% detection , nothing has.
But NOD32 is reliable, user friendly interface with easy to find logs, doesnt slow down the PC (except for 1st time scan , or startup scan on slow PCs)
And NOD is actually getting better as the years pass , freeware seems to be getting worse (popups & bloated)

Free: Avast : if you can stomach popups that border on scareware , popups trying to upsell to their products not even AV related . Why the hell is my AV spitting out system optimization popups :badpc: :badpc: :badpc:

In general :AV only, dont get the full system security.
With free AV, allways do a custom install & install only the very basics (file & email scanning)

wainuitech
08-06-2016, 05:42 PM
Nod32 - Simple and quick.

Heres some excitement from today - just arrived back from a persons place. First uninstall AVAST (fully up to date and it had only scanned and said it was clean last night) -- there were obvious infections.

1st Run Malware Bytes - found and located 5146 different traces / Trojans.

2nd. Installed Nod32 Trial - While installing, it opened up a result window with Trojans and caught them. Set it to its full detection, on open Chrome Browser to see if I could reset the home page ( it was previously locked) - instantly grabbed a browser hijack , BJ browser Hijack /Trojan (something like that)

Set a scan going, after 10 minutes it had detected and quarantined 8 more, left it scanning with instructions on what to do if it came up with a certain window (in other words call me and I'll talk them through). :D

lakewoodlady
08-06-2016, 09:12 PM
Nod 32, others not even in the running! Bit difficult though when client says what about something free? I tend to then make a pre informed judgement as to what is the better, free alternative, Avast or Windows Defender. If people are determined to have anything else, then I say, that is your choice, but you asked for advice and I told you! Don't be surprised if I'm back at your place next week because you have a problem!

Cheers, LL

mzee
09-06-2016, 12:48 AM
Nod 32, others not even in the running! Bit difficult though when client says what about something free? I tend to then make a pre informed judgement as to what is the better, free alternative, Avast or Windows Defender. If people are determined to have anything else, then I say, that is your choice, but you asked for advice and I told you! Don't be surprised if I'm back at your place next week because you have a problem!

Cheers, LL

Windows Defender & Microsoft security can make the computer very slow, for some reason just about every time you launch a program it wants to scan the file first.
If you exclude .exe files the computer runs much faster.

stevenvanduyn
09-06-2016, 08:41 AM
For all your guys out there you should read this and see what anti virus software is better than there competitors but est ( nod ) is not as reliable as others

Kaspersky doesn't hog up my system and neither did bit defender

http://www.av-comparatives.org/dynamic-tests/

cheers

wainuitech
09-06-2016, 09:57 AM
For all your guys out there you should read this and see what anti virus software is better than there competitors but est ( nod ) is not as reliable as others

Kaspersky doesn't hog up my system and neither did bit defender

http://www.av-comparatives.org/dynamic-tests/

cheers Those test sites are a complete waste of time. This subject has been brought up many times over the years, and its always the same. The tests are done in labs under controlled conditions, NOT in real life usage.

Look at other tests on another site the results will always be different.
I'd rather believe what I see in daily usage/results from customers computers than some fake lab tests.

If you look at the latest you posted from that link April 2016. According to that Avast was better than Nod32, yet in March Avast was worse than Nod32.

So please explain then why yesterday when doing a scan with Malware bytes, Avast missed over 5000 infections, some Trojans and Nod32 even after that found even more ?

As for system Hogs -- Avast hogs more then others as well, AVG is a real system hog. Nod32, is not a system hog either.

09-06-2016, 11:16 AM
I could say the same with Malwarebytes picking up infections missed by NOD. See that, often enough.
AV cleanups are different for different infections. Some of the detections are just harmless leftovers or PUPs . When NOD detects Winzip extras as malware (PUP), does that mean other AV have missed it, of course not. Some infections require 4 different AV/malware scanners before finding one that detects it. Some malware isnt detected by any AV . They are all just a best effort sort of thing.
And of course, cleanup is different to blocking. AV thats blocks really well may not be the best at cleanup, and vice versa .

As for for AV Comparatives & other tests out there: when Norton was as its absolute worst some years back, it was still ranked in the top3 by most of those tests

wainuitech
09-06-2016, 11:33 AM
I always run malwarebytes first as its often quicker than Nod at scanning. Mind you I also set nod to deep scans, and change all the settings so it really digs deep, most people don't bother to change settings so its not working fully, this of course will cause it to take longer to scan.

Nothing is perfect - totally agree, but what is obvious about those tests is that they are not actually true, Avast had scanned the night before and said the system was clean :lol: Just looking at the programs icons on the desktop, known malware, yet it missed the lot.

As soon as I opened Chrome to change the home page, again malware had locked the settings, Instantly Nod32 grabbed it and removed it allowing change back to the previous Google (malwarebytes missed it).

While nod32 Was installing it picked up active Trojans ( not PUPS), so guess Avast again missed them. Yet "LAB" results say its better-- ( at what I don't know, not detection and stopping that's for sure) :)

pctek
09-06-2016, 02:33 PM
My rule was always 1 antivirus - and I have to agree with Wainuitech about NOD.
I do like Kapersky too but I found it more of a hog than NOD.

And - in addition - run various antispywares.....

wainuitech
09-06-2016, 09:47 PM
At a persons place today, their PC had just updated to W10.

Had to take a snap of this, otherwise no one would believe me.

The inbuilt Windows defender, after I manually removed one piece of known malware went nuts with warnings -- it actually found infections :eek:

Needles to say, I installed both Malwarebytes and Nod32. Nod32 went damn berserk instantly -- couldn't even get to the settings to fully install (Trial License code) and forget about setting it to max at first, not till it calmed down anyway. It was like a pin ball machine -- ding ding ding ding ding :D

kahawai chaser
10-06-2016, 10:30 AM
I get nothing....for over 15 years running and manually scanning with Avast home edition and Malwarebytes. Nothing. Seemingly therefore there are no infections. So if I ran Nod 32 it may well find something that it would class as infections? I believe I don't need to. Otherwise if it does find whatever, I may steer me to at least consider it. But PC (W10) running well, as with earlier versions. but then I have subsequent back ups.

if people get hundreds of PC infections/issues - seems they are harvesting them through poor/unskilled/ignorant browsing habits. should they not be educated about it initially?

Sometimes I wish I has infections, viruses or whatever so as to test the response of Avast/Malwarebytes.

But all I do on the net is read, write, and a few YouTube views. Younger family folk I know seem to get PC infections due to their misguided browsing habits...

10-06-2016, 10:45 AM
if people get hundreds of PC infections/issues - seems they are harvesting them through poor/unskilled/ignorant browsing habits. should they not be educated about it initially?

thats 90% of the issue : some people are just stupid, or dont care.
Thats why in some companies , its sometimes the same people getting infected PC's , again and again. In reality there often is zero PC use training in small
medium companies.

But , there have been cases of infections caused by bogus ad's on Legit sites : allways use an adblocker, allways .
And , some legit sites can get hacked , one NZ radio streaming site got hacked & was infecting PC's (confirmed on a workshop test PC, via IE only) .

Arnie
10-06-2016, 03:34 PM
Is anyone else using Panda free? I have had for a year or more with no problems. Along with Malwarebytes seems to keep things under control.

pctek
11-06-2016, 08:33 AM
I get nothing....for over 15 years running and manually scanning with Avast home edition and Malwarebytes. Nothing. Seemingly therefore there are no infections. So if I ran Nod 32 it may well find something that it would class as infections? I believe I don't need to. .

Neither do I. The last infection I got was in the early '90s.

However, you never know....and I'd rather be safe than sorry. So I run a decent one.
The other thing I like about NOD is it warns you about dodgy websites and sometimes downloads...it can be a flase positive in the case of a couple of downloads, but again, better safe than sorry.

b....
11-06-2016, 09:45 AM
Hi Arnie, I have Panda free running on three computers. Seems to work well, but did have a problem with an update a few weeks ago. Panda sorted it out after a couple of days.
Also have Malwarebytes, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntiSpyware, and Crypto Prevent.

As above, I think most of the problems users get are self inflicted due to their bad surfing habits.

b....
11-06-2016, 11:16 AM
Just tried the NOD32 online scanner.

It found 14 "Potentially Unwanted Applications".
13 were Panda Antivirus(Toolbar.Visicom and Netfilter).
1 was the latest Ccleaner setup file in my Downloads folder.

bevy121
11-06-2016, 12:05 PM
looks like the toolbar is a bit sus - and I would be surprised if other files were as well

wainuitech
11-06-2016, 12:12 PM
Just tried the NOD32 online scanner.

It found 14 "Potentially Unwanted Applications".
13 were Panda Antivirus(Toolbar.Visicom and Netfilter).
1 was the latest Ccleaner setup file in my Downloads folder.

Nod does pick up many toolbars in installers. Some are obvious, including he google toolbar, others the person may or may not know they are installing them. Think most have seen computers that have browsers with several toolbars that the owner doesn't know how they got there.

The Viscom toolbar - a magnet for malware that takes over your browser, search and various other things - read all about it - Here (http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/MyStart-Toolbar-34156-program.aspx) < theres a pop up you need to close on that page.

Neil F
12-06-2016, 12:11 PM
I use Quihu's 360 Total Security . It is free . It is used by Warehouse Stationery Ltd who scan your USB's before doing any printing or scanning for you,.
I also use Microsoft Security Essentials (free) The 2 programs do not seem to "argue" with each other.
NB I run MSE manually. 360 also has Optimise features.

CYaBro
12-06-2016, 10:07 PM
We do pretty regular testing ourselves, to make sure we are always offering or customers what we think is the best, and have been really impressed with Emsisoft Anti-malware. It is also getting rave reviews from some of the other tech forums I frequent.
It is antivirus as well despite the name. :D
We haven't been impressed with Eset's performance in the last few months, it has missed a coupe of crypto variants so a couple of our customers got hit. Also really don't like the new version of the remote admin control panel.

wainuitech
13-06-2016, 06:06 PM
Emsisoft Anti-malware is Ok , but still not perfect (nothing is) Just doing a scan on a customers PC that had infections (only using the inbuilt windows defender) had already run Malwarebytes and removed lots, also ran JRT removing a couple more . Then ran Emsisoft Anti-malware -- Found another 9 all PUPS.

Then installed a 30 day trial Nod32, changed settings, running a deep scan and at the moment sitting at found 23 More so far at roughly 60 % through, mostly pups. But the others missed them.

wainuitech
13-06-2016, 06:36 PM
On the lighter side of things :D

Just doing some work on a customers Notebook ( yeah I know working late again - Boss is a prick) :p

Just removed McAfee - and instantly this came up :eek:

Careful Microsoft -- Might get a rep if not careful :lol:

I'm being sarcastic in case anyone thinks otherwise ;)

CYaBro
13-06-2016, 06:57 PM
Another example just today.
One PC with Eset and another with Emsisoft.
Got an email on both from the same person that looked pretty legit, except the email was being viewed in Outlook and the "PDF attachment" looked like the way you see an attachment in Gmail, so I knew straight away something was up.
Clicked the link on both computers, Emsisoft blocked it as a phishing site, Eset allowed the site to appear as normal so could enter in the details the site was asking for.

CYaBro
13-06-2016, 06:58 PM
Emsisoft Anti-malware is Ok , but still not perfect (nothing is) Just doing a scan on a customers PC that had infections (only using the inbuilt windows defender) had already run Malwarebytes and removed lots, also ran JRT removing a couple more . Then ran Emsisoft Anti-malware -- Found another 9 all PUPS.

Then installed a 30 day trial Nod32, changed settings, running a deep scan and at the moment sitting at found 23 More so far at roughly 60 % through, mostly pups. But the others missed them.

Yea it interesting to see how they differ.
We did a full deep scan on a system with Eset and it found nothing.
Same scan with Emsisoft found a heap of stuff, can't remember the exact details of what they were as it was one my tech's that was doing it.

wainuitech
13-06-2016, 07:01 PM
Nothing is perfect, heres a challenge :p Forward me the email (you know my work addy & I'll know its from your work) and I'll see if mine detects it. It may be set up differently.

CYaBro
13-06-2016, 09:16 PM
Nothing is perfect, heres a challenge :p Forward me the email (you know my work addy & I'll know its from your work) and I'll see if mine detects it. It may be set up differently.

The site has now been taken offline so nothing detects it anymore! :D

wainuitech
13-06-2016, 10:22 PM
The site has now been taken offline so nothing detects it anymore! :D Awhhhhhhhhh :crying

Nothing like a good AV test. Its no wonder some people get problems. The Laptop I mentioned before that Windows defender warned about -- Nod32 stopped a "not so nice" when checking on one program they had. (100% sure the programs errrrrrr not quite legit) But hey gotta look anyway to see how fake it looked ;) .

(removed some of the address as someones gonna try it otherwise) :D

GAME TIME: No haven't been drinking.

Found this site test-malware.html (http://www.wicar.org/test-malware.html)

Now the test, which one triggered the following :devil

bevy121
15-06-2016, 12:41 PM
antivirus is very most popular and most useful software and all viruses delete in here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

How the hell do these spammers keep getting thru the reg process???

This one has been flagged by stopforumspam database for a month now !!!!!

Date IP Address Username Email Location Evidence
8-Jun-16 11:43 39.36.27.11 samsons sons8275@gmail.com Pakistan
7-Jun-16 10:29 39.36.231.226 samsons bondj9433@gmail.com Pakistan
31-May-16 12:45 39.36.202.87 samsons bondj9433@gmail.com Pakistan
16-May-16 11:24 182.186.225.123 samsons mu8024403@gmail.com Pakistan
16-May-16 11:09 182.186.225.123 samsons mu8024403@gmail.com Pakistan