PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of revamping our current laptop - here are my ideas

Misty
06-06-2016, 12:19 PM
We are thinking of updating our laptop. I find that our current one is underpowered for running
Lightroom whilst we are away from home. Also battery life is only about 2 hours. Initially looked at buying another and spending no more than $1000. However now thinking that we may upgrade our current one by putting in 8 Gig more RAM and a small 128 Gig SSD in the optical drive.
These are our current specs. What do you think of the plan please ?

Windows 10
Boot Mode: UEFI with successful Secure Boot
Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC 0976110000405E00000620180
System Serial Number: 5CD351602H
Enclosure Type: Notebook
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.00 gigahertz AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded Board: Hewlett-Packard 2170 31.25
Serial Number: PDVVE008J5U130
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
UEFI: Insyde F.17 01/26/2015
Drives Memory Modules c,d
998.49 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
325.97 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

hp DVDRAM GU70N SATA CdRom Device [Optical drive]

WDC WD10JPVX-60JC3T0 [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WXU1E83LEXH2, rev 01.01A01, SMART Status: Healthy
7652 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'Bottom-Slot 1(top)' is Empty
Slot 'Bottom-Slot 2(under)' has 8192 MB (serial number D875E4B0)
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) * 978.34 GB 323.95 GB free
d: (NTFS on drive 0) 20.15 GB 2.02 GB free

Re battery life, would it be a good idea to replace the battery ? Some sites seem to say that HP laptops battery life is vastly over-stated by that company.

Misty
08-06-2016, 05:36 PM
After 259 views and no responses I am thinking that my question must be naive and not worth answering ! :-( It could be that viewers are thinking - "it's obvious", just go ahead. ........ or it could be that viewers are thinking "why upscale a machine with such low specs?". Being not very knowledgable about such affairs, I am uncertain. I suppose always adding 8 Gig of RAM will increase the performance of a machine, regardless. Similarly adding an SSD drive will make the operating system (Windows 10) and the programs load much faster. However I do want to an appreciable extent, future-proof. This is where my knowledge falls down. It seems to me that in the past few years the bang you get from your buck has not increased markedly.... or am I deluded ??

Really need some feedback guys ??
Best regards
Jim

Greg
08-06-2016, 07:29 PM
After 259 views and no responses I am thinking that my question must be naive and not worth answering ! :-(
With Respect Misty, I think its just too boring for most members to read through all your specifications. I suggest just do it.

[edit] or pm Wainuitech - he's pretty onto it.

dugimodo
08-06-2016, 08:40 PM
Well I read it and didn't suggest anything, but I don't know what lightroom is so that's largely why. I googled it and even the recommended system requirements only list 8GB of RAM. In general 8GB is usually enough for a laptop (depending on what you use it for) so I'm not sure if you'd really see much difference from that and an SSD will certainly make it boot faster, load programs faster, and feel more responsive, but it won't in any way improve the power of the laptop or it's battery life.

Was the battery life ever a decent length when you first got it? if so replace it if not maybe it isn't worth it. Some modern devices have excellent battery life, but if you run software that loads up the CPU or graphics for long periods they all die remarkably fast.
If anything I'd just try the SSD and see how that goes, you can always re-use it if you end up buying something else.

Misty
08-06-2016, 10:04 PM
Many thanks dugimodo and Greg - taking on board what you both say and am very sure it will affect the outcome

Misty
09-06-2016, 10:12 AM
After more searching I came across this. It seems clear that 16 Gigs of RAM would be overkill. Think I'll just opt for the SSD

http://lifehacker.com/performance-tests-show-that-16gb-of-ram-is-overkill-1724827429

KarameaDave
09-06-2016, 10:19 AM
An upgrade to that system, with its weak-kneed CPU may not result in any improvement.
So you may be wasting your money.

09-06-2016, 10:29 AM
- its not a high spec laptop : want faster , get something else, i5 or i7. Its that simple . :-)
- dont assume the laptop is compatible with more RAM, you'll need to check on HP's website for the max RAM it takes
- SSD certainly helps with boot up times & program load times. If its lack of grunt thats the real issue, SSD may not help that much.
Although, lower spec laptops often come with rather slow HD's (to save $) , and sometimes HD's slow down to a crawl when they go bad : making the system almost unusable yet passing every HD test.
- If the program you use needs that much extra speed, and is maxing out the poor old lappy, then of course running at 100% is going to effect batt run time.
Add to this, when running on batt, it may be set to run at reduced CPU speed or may get stuck in a power save low speed mode.