PDA

View Full Version : Monitor recommendations

bk T
02-06-2016, 04:59 PM
My 5-year-old LG monitor has decided to call it a day.

I am now looking at this: LG 24MP88HV-S (http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=MONLGL42488&name=LG-24MP88HV-S-24-AH-IPS-Edgeless-IPS-LED-Monitor-w)

What do you guys' views?

03-06-2016, 10:21 AM
Ive sold about a dozen various LG's over the years, picked solely for the 3year zero pixel defect warranty
They have all looked really good. I'd buy one in a heartbeat , if I had the cash, they do cost a bit more .

but, generally, with monitors , you dont know what quality you'll get till you open the box & plug in it.
Most name brands are OK, but Ive sold a few various 22's that the display looked really quite poor .

Even recommendations from others with one & online reviews mean little, as the actuall panel used may be changed to a different type during
long production runs : my 1st good monitor for home, excellent reviews, friend had one . His looked great ,mine looked crap, turned out they staring putting lower, then lower, then lower (yes) quality panels in this model over the course of a year or so.

Driftwood
03-06-2016, 10:41 AM
Probably no help to you, but If I look around at the various monitors in my cave, I see Acer, HP, Philips & Chimei.
All over 5 years old, no problems with any of them

bk T
03-06-2016, 11:07 AM
1011: Thanks for your views.

Driftwood: My dead 5 yr old LG has been repaired once just before the 3 years warranty. Will look again at those brands you mentioned. Thanks.

03-06-2016, 11:28 AM
Failed twice, sounds like you got a dud .All brands spit out the occasional dud.
Usually monitors quite reliable , Ive done very few warranty returns over the years across all brands Ive sold.

I would go for something with 3year zero pixel defect warranty . Just in case.

Some do have 3year warranty, but many arnt zero pixel. So you could have several stuck on or dead pixels & it wont be covered by warranty
And some are zero pixel for the 1st year only.
Nothing more annoying than a stuck on pixel . :-)

And just to add in a bit of paranoia, when my samsung finally died , I plugged another spare in. Poof, that one died as well , instantly.
Turned out my vid card was blowing monitors, luckily I hadnt got around to buying a new one yet as that would have blown as well.
moral :if you have a old spare, allways connect that up 1st , just in case.

Misty
03-06-2016, 06:34 PM
bk T - you need to explain what you want from a monitor for others to respond. If you are a photographer you will want an IPS monitor for instance. If you are a gamer ....?? JMTCW.

Driftwood
03-06-2016, 07:36 PM
I'm a gamer but I'm not familiar with JMTCW.
I even googled it but I'm still none the wiser.
Probably modern jargon, but I'm an old fart.

Misty
03-06-2016, 09:00 PM
Hi Driftwood - I am 71 years old. JMTCW is pretty common - it means "Just my two cents worth" ;-)

bk T
03-06-2016, 09:57 PM
Misty, my monitor is for general use, but I prefer to have an IPS.

BBCmicro
03-06-2016, 11:14 PM
I want 4k for my next monitor.

Looking at a 28" monitor from 1m is equivalent to watching a 70" TV screen from 2.5m. So a 4k monitor is a cheap way of getting the UHD experience

The monitor doesn't need much computing power because that resides in the computer's graphics card

Chilling_Silence
04-06-2016, 02:50 AM
I have a 28" 4K Samsung monitor (H28D590). It's absolutely gorgeous for general everyday use, even things like normal browsing simply look "better".
I also have a 23" LG 1080p monitor.

Initially I was using the 4K screen for gaming (R9 290X ran most things fine in 4K) but the problem was I had to use the DisplayPort cable if I wanted more than 30hz which is jittery as hell... Then I ended up getting an HDMI Capture device, so I'm now back to gaming at 1080p. So keep that in mind if you buy a 4K Monitor, basically HDMI2.0 is all that supports the bandwidth needed to run it at 4K 60hz, and even then there seems to be a bunch of non-spec cables out there, so DisplayPort is safest.

I'm looking at a 144hz BenQ monitor now, after seeing one in action I've decided that's what I really want. 4K looks *super* slick, don't get me wrong, and games like the latest Starwars Battlefront absolutely shine in 4K, but at this point in time having a 144hz 1080p monitor is probably a little more desirable to me personally. Plus, I can still capture it over HDMI! :D

Definitely go in to a store somewhere like PlayTech or PBTech and ask to see a 4K monitor vs a 144hz monitor. Then you can just find brand / sizing after that :)