PDA

View Full Version : Network Issues

dpDesignz
02-06-2016, 11:37 AM
Hey All,

We've finally networked our house this past week, but we seem to be having some issues with DHCP.

I've made a mind map of our setup at MindMeister (https://mm.tt/710456133?t=HCRgRm9M90), would someone be able to take a look at it and see if they have any suggestions as to why we'd be having issues?

The location I'm having issues with is 1. Lounge. 3. Master Bedroom is a similar setup and has no issues so far, so not sure what the issue is.

The entire house is CAT6 wiring, brand new fibre in the past 6 months, and plenty of switches.

Cheers!

psycik
02-06-2016, 11:58 AM
You'd have to make sure all the switches/aps etc all have DHCP turned off if you're expecting to use one subnet.

Why did you go for the switch upon switch upon switch topology instead of say, 8 runs to your lounge, and runs to each of the bedroom from a central point?

dpDesignz
02-06-2016, 02:22 PM
You'd have to make sure all the switches/aps etc all have DHCP turned off if you're expecting to use one subnet.

Why did you go for the switch upon switch upon switch topology instead of say, 8 runs to your lounge, and runs to each of the bedroom from a central point?

I'm pretty sure only the router has DHCP? None of the switches would as far as I'm aware?

How do you mean by 8 runs to our lounge? So the Huawei EchoLife HG8240H, MicroTik Routerboard RB951G-2HnD, and TP-Link TL-SG108 are all together in a cupboard where the fibre comes in, then from the routerboard and the switch, the CAT6 cables go to each of the rooms, where we just have switches for those with more than 1 device needing wired in that room. How else would you do it??

dpDesignz
02-06-2016, 02:22 PM

I'm pretty sure only the router has DHCP? None of the switches would as far as I'm aware?

How do you mean by 8 runs to our lounge? So the Huawei EchoLife HG8240H, MicroTik Routerboard RB951G-2HnD, and TP-Link TL-SG108 are all together in a cupboard where the fibre comes in, then from the routerboard and the switch, the CAT6 cables go to each of the rooms, where we just have switches for those with more than 1 device needing wired in that room. How else would you do it??

psycik
02-06-2016, 02:54 PM

Ahh, your diagram has the SG108 before the lounge, then in the lounge is a SF1008, not knowing what those are it looked like a switch in the cupboard (SG108) talking to a switch (SF1008) in the lounge. And now that I click on the links, yes that does seem to be what you have. Two different switches.

At my house I did 5 runs to behind my TV, back to a patch panel, then other runs. The only time I introduced a "switch" was for an AP in a remote location - ie 2nd story room where it was very difficult to make more than a singe cable run.

Anyway semantics. So if you've confirmed all the switches done have DHCP (which you're correct shouldn't), any wireless APs (TL-WA901ND)? they might have dhcp turned on.

Also which machines (or is it all of them?) have DHCP issues.

02-06-2016, 03:05 PM
Ahh, your diagram has the SG108 before the lounge, then in the lounge is a SF1008, not knowing what those are .....

yep, nice picture. but..
how about a list of what the devices are . Otherwise those looking would have to google each device , the gurus possibly wont be bothered doing that so may not answer

edit : OK , if you click on the device in the mind map it links to the devices product page

02-06-2016, 03:16 PM
Take your laptop,turn off wifi, plug into the lounge switch, test interent, check dhcp ( dns, gateway & IP)
then work your way backwards down the chain till you see at what switch it stops working at.
Or, take the XBOX & keep moving it down the chain till it works, then you'll know what point it fails at

have you tried giving the lounge devices a static IP & dns of (say) 8.8.8.8 (as a test) .
can you ping the lounge devices from the other end of the chain .

chiefnz
02-06-2016, 04:03 PM

This is a key point and probably moot now that you've cabled everything...

Ideally you should have run cable from a central location where your router and switch would be. All the cabling would run into this central point. Whilst your scenario is not "unworkable" it certainly introduces multiple points of failure when troubleshooting... as you now know.

As mentioned before double check that DHCP is disabled on all the switches and that the default gateway is set to your router's address, also make sure that they are all on the same network subnet. Other than that move a single device around to each location and note down what IP address the device is getting along with the DHCP/Gateway and other pertinent info. Then correct where needed.

Cheers,

wainuitech
02-06-2016, 04:44 PM
Try giving all the fixed devices a static IP address (its not like they are going anywhere), in plain English ---that way they are telling the router what it will have instead of the router issuing out IP addresses.

The Switches are only basic switches, they don't have DHCP. In fact looking at the layout its not to dissimilar to what I have here.

If it were the Access point in #4 then that's easy to fix as well - but as far I can see its not causing a problem.

Kame
02-06-2016, 06:27 PM
To be honest, I can't be bothered deciphering it but I will in this case, but your mind looks complicated.

Possible problems, cabling from 5 port to 8 port.

8 port may have a WAN port, try last port or read manual to see, test every port if you're lazy.

Take 8 port out of equation and test link with a laptop.

Swap switches around to test, maybe faulty switch.

I am sure these things could help you discover possible solutions.

Chilling_Silence
03-06-2016, 08:50 AM
For the 901ND to work you need it plugged in to the "LAN" side, with the rest of your network and not the "WAN" port. Then as the others have mentioned, make sure DHCP is off.
I'd say that's where you're likely getting the confusion.

Also, the Huawei EchoLife device probably has DHCP which it'll be passing to the WAN of your Routerboard. That's OK but just make sure it's *not* in the same range as the Routerboard uses for the LAN
eg Have the Echolife give out 192.168.1.0/24 and then have your Routerboard give out IP's on 192.168.5.0/24

If the WAN of the Routerboard is the same IP range as the LAN, it's gonna lose the plot at you.

decibel
04-06-2016, 08:27 PM
Are you a Truenet volunteer ? If so, the Routerboard box will be transparent and not affecting DHCP.

stevensaaron
10-06-2016, 08:20 PM
If this makes it easier to understand Damiens link above as to our initial set up.
So this is the set-up in our cupboard, Based on photo, and refer to Damien's

Fibre comes into Cupboard and into the Huawei on the Left,
(all Cat6 cables then run from hear to each individual room where needed)

Grey Cable from the Huawei goes into the MicroTik
on the MicroTik cables are:
1: Grey - Input from Huawei
2: Blue goes to TP-Link TL-SG108
3: Green to Master Bedroom
4: Dining Room
5: Bedroom 2

Then obviousl on the 8 Splitter
1: Input from #2 on MicroTik
2: EMPTY
3: Lounge
Rest to other rooms

dpDesignz
10-06-2016, 08:36 PM
Thanks all! I hadn't received an alert of all these replies! Will play around this and see what I can get. Also one of the issues, I hadn't been advised the right plug in the lounge was phone line so that's what the issue was there. Will keep testing for the dhcp though. Still getting some small issues so will try the suggestions