PDA

View Full Version : Help needed in settin up .org.nz address

lakewoodlady
01-06-2016, 03:13 PM
I want to help someone to set up a .org.nz email for a trust the someone is developing. I don't know where to start. Is anyone able to help please?

Cheers, LL

pctek
01-06-2016, 03:31 PM
Meaning what exactly?
They have a something.org.nz domain name already?
In which case you just follow the instructions from the hosting co they have (whether or not they have a website).

Or they don't have the domain either? In which case first step is to get one, then set up mail accounts as per instructions from hosting co. They have this sort of guide on their websites.....

lakewoodlady
01-06-2016, 05:06 PM
No they don't have a domain or a hosting co yet. I guess what they really want to know is how, or where to get one. I don't have any idea where to start, so some pointers might be quite helpful. I tried googling it, but didn't really come up with any useful answers.
I did say to them that they would most likely need a hosting co to have a domain name. So any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks pctek, cheers LL

pctek
01-06-2016, 05:28 PM
OK, Domains4Less.
NZ company, cheap and yes you can have a website too. Or just email accounts and no website. Wahtever they like really.

They can do it 2 ways, get the domain, then use D4L's email servers or use the domain name in Gmail to have emailaddress@x.org.nz via gmail.

First buy the domain.

Kame
01-06-2016, 06:58 PM
Hey LL,

Would they like hosting or just mailboxes?

Since it is a NZ domain, you would probably need to go through a NZ registrar. You should be able to find a plan that just does mailboxes.

I would use my referral but I do fine without it nowadays but do check out https://www.crazydomains.co.nz/email-hosting/

The price is reasonable and they will help you set it up easily, if you want hosting, it can be added later.

You can start with the cheapest option then upgrade later if needs be.

Cheers,

KK

lakewoodlady
01-06-2016, 07:45 PM
Many thanks for that kame, actually that one looks a little more user friendly, which may suit my newbie friend better.

Cheers, LL

02-06-2016, 11:13 AM
my 2c

Dont go for the cheapest
Consider, In advance ,EXACTLY want you want: website ,email : what sort (pop3, imap, hosted exchange), how many separate email adresses , webmail access, cloud file storage, cloud PC/server backup, email backup etc etc . No point signing up with one crowd, then later having to sign up with another as the 1st couldnt do everything you wanted

If you have a website, talk to the website designer first .

Get a hosting service that is ACTUALLY based in NZ. Not some overseas based company setup to look NZ based (seen it , a nightmare to sort out )
Make sure they have good NZ based ph support, ring them up & ask questions before for sign up, see how helpfull they actually are

See if the domain hosting co. can setup everything on your behalf (rather than you going into their web portal to setup things)

If email, see if they do hosted exchange . Thats a better option than pop3 email , but might cost slightly more .
Some IT companies resell Office365, and could do all the tricky initial setup work for you (chargeable) . That may be worth considering

Lastly, make sure the domain is actually registered to them, with their contact details (do a whois lookup afterwards)
It sometimes happens that it gets registered to a 3rd party (IT support , web designer etc) , that can make things difficult later on
That shouldnt be an issue unless you get someone to do all the setup for you.

Greg
02-06-2016, 01:43 PM
Just go to freeparking.co.nz - not the absolutely cheapest, but simplest by far, along with very useful support team.

I want to help someone to set up a .org.nz email for a trust the someone is developing. I don't know where to start. Is anyone able to help please?

Cheers, LL

lakewoodlady
02-06-2016, 07:05 PM
Many thanks 1101 and Greg, I will pass the information onto the person concerned, not really my prob but trying to put her on the right track.
I think she will find this all quite confusing, but really good to get some advice. She just thought it would be a matter of making up an address and basically telling Spark what she wanted..... Tui ad here please lol!

LL

pctek
03-06-2016, 09:35 AM
She just thought it would be a matter of making up an address and basically telling Spark what she wanted..... Tui ad here please lol!

LL

God no. Spark are rip off.
Really D4L is part of Digiweb, along with Web Drive, Openhost etc...
Where I used to work.
The online guide might not be the best but you can ask for help and they do provide it.