PDA

View Full Version : One Drive Data Gone??

berryb
31-05-2016, 09:04 PM
Have a client that mistakenly deleted an important folder off One Drive and then emptied the Recycle Bin so they are not restorable.
The local files on the PC were at the default location under the user profile so I took the hard drive out attached to another PC and scanned for Deleted files with GetDataBack for NTFS. The folder is nowhere to be found and normally any deleted file shows up no issue.

I am now doing a more in-depth scan but thought Id ask the question if anyone know if One Drive securely erases the file location?

wainuitech
31-05-2016, 10:13 PM
Go to the onedrive web site www.onedrive.com Sign in to the One drive account that the person is using , as long as onedrive was being used as it is designed, on the left, go to Recycle bin and your data should be there:

When you delete anything on the local PC it syncs to one drive and should put the same deleted files into the web based recycle bin. Assuming they are there select them - restore, give it a few moments and you should see the files back in the One drive online storage, as well as syncing with the original PC again as soon as its on line.

berryb
31-05-2016, 10:23 PM
I should have said the user was onto to it and actually went online and deleted the online recycle bin, not the local. Hence cannot restore from Online. I did try that but they are gone.

But I expected them to be still on the local hard drive just marked as being deleted and should be recoverable but no sign of them so far.

I might search the hard drive if the scan finds nothing. I am wondering if he has accidently "moved" the folder by dragging and not actually deleted them. He was deleting files and when realising this important folder was missing assumed it must have been mistakenly highlighted with the other folders that were deleted.

CYaBro
31-05-2016, 11:36 PM
This is why onedrive is not a backup.
Was that computer the only one that was connected to onedrive?

berryb
01-06-2016, 02:45 AM
Yes just the one computer. Have it sorted. After a 7 hr scan GetDataBack found the folder and I have copied so hopefully all good now. Just strange I had to do such an in depth scan as normally deleted files show no prob.

Cheers