PDA

View Full Version : Power supply failure again

Nutman
29-05-2016, 10:34 PM
Hi, I had the PSU (cooler master v-series 750s gold 750W) fail only after 1 1/2 yrs in a new system. The company I got computer from replaced PSU with identical new unit, but only one later it has failed again. So have had two PSU failures within 3 years. Don't know what is going on. Any ideas/views?

Speedy Gonzales
30-05-2016, 04:12 AM
Replace it with something else

dugimodo
30-05-2016, 10:06 AM
Cooler master don't make PSU's they just put their name on them. It's a mixed bag quality wise and you need to research a particular model to find out if it's any good. Better to stick with seasonic as they make many of the better PSU's that other people sell anyway. There are other good brands as well but it always pays to find a review before buying, worth the time as it's probably the most important component in your PC. I would rate cooler master as just ok in terms of their PSU's, and not trust the ratings too much.

As to why 2 have failed in a row, maybe it's not a great product or maybe you are pushing it to the limit? What kind of hardware are you running off it and how demanding a workload?
Maybe something like this would be better http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=24026 it reviews very well.

30-05-2016, 11:13 AM
Just wondering .. are you running it off a cheap brand UPS ?

Last week I had a UPS blow a PC PSU when it went into UPS mode (was testing it) . It was a nasty(but common) brand UPS.

dugimodo
30-05-2016, 12:12 PM
I've had a UPS destroy a switch and a router that were connected to it as well, put me off using them for years. Wasn't during a power cut either, there were sparks and then stuffed died just out of the blue.

30-05-2016, 12:32 PM
Yep , Sparks coming out of the power supply for me as well . Thank GOD I was there when it happened & not early in the morning etc during a power cut etc.
This UPS worked when tested on this PC the day before, but this time as soon as I put it into UPS mode : sparks flames death

This UPS brand is also known to sometime have serious overheating problems. Because its so cheap, its quite popular in NZ .

Nutman
30-05-2016, 08:18 PM
Running AMD 6 core, 8 GB Ram with GTX 760. No not using UPS

dugimodo
30-05-2016, 08:22 PM
Well you don't even need 500w for that so it's not the size of the load.
Go with Speedys advice.

Driftwood
30-05-2016, 08:24 PM
Would it be overheating?
Is it a case with the PSU at the bottom & the intake is blocked?