PDA

View Full Version : HDMI out, USB in...

iansmcdonald
29-05-2016, 02:51 PM
I've got a small cheap Go-Pro clone that has an HDMI output, so I can connect to my TV and watch live video. What I'd like to do is send that output into my computer so I can effectively use it as a webcam. It does an excellent job of recording to micro sd, but I'd like to be able to record directly.
Does anybody know of any way this can be done?
I have trawled the internet looking for an answer but nothing yet.

Speedy Gonzales
29-05-2016, 03:00 PM
Does it have a usb port on it?

iansmcdonald
29-05-2016, 03:48 PM
Yes it does have a USB port, but that's only good for retrieving images and video from the SD card. There is a reasonably comprehensive setup menu but there doesn't seem to be a "use-the-usb-port-to-stream-video" option.

Speedy Gonzales
29-05-2016, 04:40 PM
Have you tried plugging it into a usb port, to see what will happen?

Whats the brand/model ? If it's a clone?

Kame
29-05-2016, 06:31 PM
Get yourself and HDMI capture device for your computer. Comes in many interfaces that you may use like USB, PCI-E, etc.

iansmcdonald
30-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Yes, tried the USB port, but that's only good for retrieving images and video from the SD card. There is a reasonably comprehensive setup menu but there doesn't seem to be a "use-the-usb-port-to-stream-video" option.
Brand/model is "Eken H9".

Speedy Gonzales
30-05-2016, 12:22 PM
Looks like these are wireless or are meant to be wireless. And 4K. Is yours?

And you can control them with an app Ezicam

dugimodo
30-05-2016, 12:27 PM
With a GoPro it's possible to stream to VLC over Wi-Fi, maybe that device can do it as well? Looking at the last page of the manual it seems it can do it to smartphones so maybe if you can figure out the stream address VLC will work. Note I can't give you specifics as I don't have one, I just know it's possible.

iansmcdonald
30-05-2016, 11:27 PM
Looks like these are wireless or are meant to be wireless. And 4K. Is yours?

And you can control them with an app Ezicam

Yes, it is wireless and works well with Ezicam app on both iphone and Android. Unfortunately, there seems to be no Windows version of the app which would (probably) solve my problem.
It is 4k, and 2.7k, though at those resolutions the video sometimes stutters, so they're usually unusable. The 1920x1080 30fps and 60fps work fine and the quality is surprisingly good, especially when the light level is greater than a fairly dimly lit room, and excellent in bright sunlight. It can record 5 hours of 30fps, though the battery gives out after about 2 hours.