PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10

Bryden
26-05-2016, 06:39 PM
My friend inadvertently d/l Windows 10 - went round to have a look today and discovered you can revert to your previous operating system provided you do it within a month of installing W10.... so they are now back to W7 and happy campers....

Bryden

pcuser42
26-05-2016, 06:50 PM
I would have left Windows 10 on there personally :)

wainuitech
26-05-2016, 06:54 PM
These kind of posts are a laugh really. Many people don't even bother to take time to discover all the advantages of W10, W7 is so Borrrrrring.

Unless a person is running some sort of software that HAS to have W7 they are not doing them selves any favors by staying on W7, Even then W10 is FAR better at running old software, example : I put in a New PC the other day, the software the person HAD to use wouldn't run on anything other than XP, ----- Vista, W7, W8.1 all didn't run it -- W10 DID with out any problems.

WHEN the W7 computer dies, guess what - W10 is all you will be able to get unless its a MAC or use linux, so then they will be stuffed and find it even harder.

W10 will reinstall again unless changes are made to stop it. But that's another story.

Driftwood
26-05-2016, 06:59 PM
You're right win7 is boring compared with win10.
I initially changed over one system to check it out & have now upgraded the whole fleet.
The last was the gaming system & that has never run better.

wainuitech
26-05-2016, 08:26 PM
Just finishing off a customers Upgrade from 8.1 to W10. ( yes at 7.25pm) Its got a celeron with 4GB memory (real grunt machine) :D

With 8.1 it was :sleep With W10 after doing some tweaks That I do to speed things up and stop most of the problems people have, it really flies along :)

When showing her this morning my W10 Laptop (after her grandson had suggested to upgrade), she was ---- wow, thats great. She also asked why everyone was saying W10 is so bad,- I showed her - :illogical -- Her response ( polite version) - Are you serious ?

I think I'll leave her return till after the other 2 jobs -- could be there a while :D

Speedy Gonzales
26-05-2016, 08:58 PM
Should see all the people complaining about win10 installing without their knowledge. On The MS community forum.

Not a happy bunch of campers at all :D

The flatmate's PC has still got Win7 on it. Cant make up her mind whether she wants 10 or not.

May do it soon tho, but may chuck an SSD in it first. The hdd thats in it, is pretty crappy

BTW did anyone know about this Game bar in Win10? Didnt know it existed till I read about it the other day.

wainuitech
26-05-2016, 09:20 PM
Should see all the people complaining about win10 installing without their knowledge. On The MS community forum.

Not a happy bunch of campers at all :D

The flatmate's PC has still got Win7 on it. Cant make up her mind whether she wants 10 or not.

May do it soon tho, but may chuck an SSD in it first. The hdd thats in it, is pretty crappy

BTW did anyone know about this Game bar in Win10? Didnt know it existed till I read about it the other day. Dont really play games so the bar is something I didn't know about ( till Now) :)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/keyboard-shortcuts-for-game-bar

Sounds a little like the Steps recorder, which can be really handy especially when trying to get someone to reproduce a problem.

wainuitech
26-05-2016, 10:06 PM
There is one thing I don't like about the current W10 ( note current)

I'll be glad when the newest big upgrade comes out very shortly - The insider versions have LOTS of little tweaks that aren't in the current public release ( and you have to have a current W10 installed) , bit annoying when going to do something and the option is not there yet -- Oh Bugger ;)

linw
26-05-2016, 10:44 PM
Know what you mean, there, WT!

Bryden
26-05-2016, 11:02 PM
Well my friend, who is happy to have W7 back again, is not at all computer literate and if anything her husband is less so.... I did notice that there are some similarities with W10 and W8 which I have on a laptop.... I am toying with taking my tower into the tech and having an SSD installed - good idea or not? Maybe I should just bite the bullet and upgrade to W10 - it will have to happen some time....

Bryden

apsattv
27-05-2016, 05:50 AM
An HP desktop machine I fixed had Windows 7 and it had been updated to win10 The procedure kindly removed 30 programs during the "upgrade" Including removing OFFICE and all the users email.

I had to use an undelete software to hunt out the .PST file and of course the Mail program in Windows 10 didn't wouldnt open it ..Luckily a family member had the Office CD so installing it got the email back up and running.

Bryan
27-05-2016, 08:22 AM
Bryden, don't muck about. Install Win10 and remember if you wait until July you will have to pay for it. Really as far as users go there isn't a great learning curve. Win7 will be like the Dodo very soon!

wainuitech
27-05-2016, 08:54 AM
Well my friend, who is happy to have W7 back again, is not at all computer literate and if anything her husband is less so.... I did notice that there are some similarities with W10 and W8 which I have on a laptop.... I am toying with taking my tower into the tech and having an SSD installed - good idea or not? Maybe I should just bite the bullet and upgrade to W10 - it will have to happen some time....

Bryden Look at it this way, you can always do What I've done with this W7 Machine --- I Put in another HDD, installed Windows 10, activated it.
Then took out that hard Drive and still running on the original W7, the only reason I'm not doing an upgrade on this is there are some programs I cant get again, and its just on 10 years old now, there are some corrupted system files, some hardware not working 100% that cant be fixed, even with a repair install, and when I copied the drive once and tried to upgrade it failed big time with all sorts of errors, so a New PC is being built.

BUT because it has had W10 on it, and hardware activated, IF at any time I do decide to put it on, I can even after the 29th July which is the cut off date for free upgrades.

A SSD HDD will increase speed, the only thing you have to remember is a SSD is more expensive compared to the same size Normal HDD.

tut
27-05-2016, 08:57 AM
W10 installed on my machine and couldn't figured it out so installed W7 on another hard drive and used that for my work. Then when I got time persevered with W10 and gradually figured it out. It was not a lot different but just much better. Now that is all I use.
Just one problem that cant figure out and maybe some one can help.
In W7 when I wanted to add a web page to favourites I just click on the star in the top right hand corner, it asked if a wanted to save and clicking yes, it went to a favourite folder.
Win10 is the same but I cant find where it is saved to. Probably something simple but I aint the sharpest knife in the draw when it comes to computers.

tut
27-05-2016, 09:02 AM
I should have mentioned I am using Edge.

Speedy Gonzales
27-05-2016, 09:06 AM
Dont really play games so the bar is something I didn't know about ( till Now) :)[

Same here I use the Xbox. Dont have any games on any of these

Driftwood
27-05-2016, 10:11 AM
W10 installed on my machine and couldn't figured it out so installed W7 on another hard drive and used that for my work. Then when I got time persevered with W10 and gradually figured it out. It was not a lot different but just much better. Now that is all I use.
Just one problem that cant figure out and maybe some one can help.
In W7 when I wanted to add a web page to favourites I just click on the star in the top right hand corner, it asked if a wanted to save and clicking yes, it went to a favourite folder.
Win10 is the same but I cant find where it is saved to. Probably something simple but I aint the sharpest knife in the draw when it comes to computers.

I'm using Edge on win10.
Saved favourites go to the favourites folder, same as in win7.

dugimodo
27-05-2016, 10:12 AM
I play games and still didn't know about the bar or have any use for it now that I do. Not all of us gamers feel the need to post anything anywhere (gameplay wise :p)

dugimodo
27-05-2016, 10:21 AM
I do have a slight gripe with win 10 lately. It seems like somewhere along the line they changed the windows snap behaviour so it now tries to snap to the edges between multiple monitors. That's great when you want to snap but a nuisance when trying to move windows between screens. It seems like it snags and catches half the time I try to move something, you need to start not too close to the edge and move fairly smoothly through the centre to do it reliably, almost feels like you need a run-up to make it across.

I was happier with it when it didn't do that, using the windows key plus left or right did the trick for when I actually wanted to snap something which is not all that often. I'm sure there are people who use the snap feature often enough to appreciate this but for the rest of us with multiple screens it's not an improvement.

rumpty
27-05-2016, 10:52 AM
Unless a person is running some sort of software that HAS to have W7 they are not doing them selves any favors by staying on W7, Even then W10 is FAR better at running old software, example : I put in a New PC the other day, the software the person HAD to use wouldn't run on anything other than XP, ----- Vista, W7, W8.1 all didn't run it -- W10 DID with out any problems.

I must try my Microtek Scanmaker E6 and its SCSI card on W10. That scanner has served us well, and is one reason we still use WXP. I couldn't get the E6 to go with its own software on W7 either.

Speedy Gonzales
27-05-2016, 12:20 PM
I must try my Microtek Scanmaker E6 and its SCSI card on W10. That scanner has served us well, and is one reason we still use WXP. I couldn't get the E6 to go with its own software on W7 either.

If there are no drivers for it then Vuescan (https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/microtek_scanmaker_e6.html) may install some. It's not free tho

wainuitech
27-05-2016, 01:57 PM
I must try my Microtek Scanmaker E6 and its SCSI card on W10. That scanner has served us well, and is one reason we still use WXP. I couldn't get the E6 to go with its own software on W7 either. Try running the drivers in compatibility mode.

Bryden
27-05-2016, 02:01 PM
So what is so special/better with W10? And tell me why Microsoft is giving it away? They are not known for their philanthropy..... as for 7 or 8 being boring.... all I want from my computer is to be able to do the things I want without having to spend ages hunting for the feature I was familiar with on an earlier version.... WT - convince me I should change.... grin:devil

Renegade
27-05-2016, 02:33 PM
10 has these really special features! Crash - "Something happened", or Start Button Not Working, sign out and we will (not) fix it, or User Profile Service failed the sign-in. User Profile cannot be loaded." etc. :)

Speedy Gonzales
27-05-2016, 02:52 PM
Looks like a lot of people have had probs if you upgrade from 7 or 8 / 8.1. Or if Win10 downloads then installs /upgrades

Like what Renegade said. Those are some of the probs. But I havent come across any probs yet. Besides explorer.exe crashing when it felt like it. But some update may have fixed it. It hasnt happened for the last 2-3 weeks. And the wireless disconnecting, when it felt like it. But, since I've unticked a few things, that hasnt happened for a while

dugimodo
27-05-2016, 02:54 PM
MS get revenue from the windows store and from targeted advertising from gathering user browsing habits etc, all of which needs as many customers as possible on windows 8 or 10 to maximise their income. As well as that they don't want to employ people to support all their old OSes forever.

As for what's better, there are a lot of invisible little tweaks to things like file copy dialogues etc that are easily overlooked but are definitely improved. The file copy improvements are one of my favourites actually because I use them a bit. Try to move a directory in XP and I think 7 (no longer have it to confirm) with one of the files open and it'll just fail part way through. In windows 10 it tells you the problem and gives you the option to retry so you can close the open file and continue. You can also pause and resume file copies.

There are a lot of things like that, I do agree about them moving and renaming features between versions though. It's always been a frustration of mine having to google how to do something I already knew for the previous version but that's a short term annoyance really.
It also has improved scaling options for using high res screens, DX12 for future games (probably not something everyone cares about) and being newer will have official MS support for longer.

Still if you have windows 7 or newer and are happy with it there aren't any truly compelling reasons to change other than the "Get it while it's still free" argument. I would personally recommend at least doing the upgrade once and rolling back just to keep the free upgrade as an option for the future, even if you use a separate hard drive to do it as Wainui suggested in another post.

One thing is certain, hardware and software manufacturers won't keep supporting older operating systems indefinitely. At some point new stuff just won't work with old machines.

27-05-2016, 04:08 PM
One thing is certain, hardware and software manufacturers won't keep supporting older operating systems indefinitely. At some point new stuff just won't work with old machines.

Allready there, at least one Major Software brand has announced end of support for Win7 . More to come I'm sure .

wainuitech
27-05-2016, 04:16 PM
So what is so special/better with W10? And tell me why Microsoft is giving it away? They are not known for their philanthropy..... as for 7 or 8 being boring.... all I want from my computer is to be able to do the things I want without having to spend ages hunting for the feature I was familiar with on an earlier version.... WT - convince me I should change.... grin:devil

Adding to what others have written, theres lots of small items that make it better than W7 -- So I ask you, and So far NO ONE has really been able to give a real answer -- WHY dont you like W10, whats really wrong with it apart from its laid out slightly different ?

There numerous small features that W7 Doesn't have , example the Store is just one minor, loads of free stuff that you cant get from anywhere else, and lots of items which until you actually use them you dont really how much easier it is. One in particular, put W7 on a low spec PC and then W10, the W10 will run a LOT better and quicker.

What you are seeing in build 10586, the public build could almost be classed as a cut down version of whats coming very shortly.

Just installing build 14352, its upgrading from 14342 and that makes the current public build look like a real stripped down version. One thing many people cant see ( or more to the point dont want to see) is looking to the future, Microsoft are going be developing MANY great options, all that require W10, one that springs to mind is Holographic technology, try running that on W7 ;)

What Dugimodo mentioned about out of date hardware -- its already happening, some new motherboards are having problems with W7.

Take the Gigabyte B150M As Gigabyte point out on their site:

The problem lies in the fact that Windows 7's installer is only compatible with an older type of USB driver. The GIGABYTE 100 series motherboard uses a newer kind of USB driver, meaning you will get an error when trying to install Windows 7.

As I mentioned once before WHEN the old computers die, and they all do, the Only OS you'll be able to get is W10, or use Linux or MAC -- So then the person will be really stuffed.

If anyone wants to use W7 still, that's their choice, but DONT complain when support is no longer available, new hardware wont work, and when the Computer dies they are forced to change and the learning curve will be huge --- I'm looking forward to saying -- told ya so :)

mzee
27-05-2016, 04:30 PM
I have now changed both machines to W10 Pro, clean install. I find that it is more responsive than W7. The only problem I have is with Defender. I have a program called "Web Realizer", I have used it for years. With Windows 10 the program takes 2 minutes to load, and the PCU reading is 47% on Defender. I imagine that Defender is scanning the program, time and time again. I disabled Defender and Web Realizer loads instantly. Now installed AVG and no more problems. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Speedy Gonzales
27-05-2016, 05:03 PM
Nope, but if the exe for it is in startup disable it and run it manually.

Richard
27-05-2016, 06:22 PM
I wasn't the earliest adopter of W10 but I would never go back now to any earlier version of Windows. Sure, there was a bit of a learning curve with W10, but now it is pretty well instinctive. I have had no problems with either of our machines, and have difficulty understanding why anyone would want to remain with XP, Vista, W7 or W8, some of which were good OS's. But W10 is better.

tut
27-05-2016, 07:05 PM
I cant find a favourites folder. It will save to favorite bar though.

I'm using Edge on win10.
Saved favourites go to the favourites folder, same as in win7.

Driftwood
27-05-2016, 07:27 PM
Should be in your user folder

tut
27-05-2016, 09:30 PM
Nope

Should be in your user folder

wainuitech
27-05-2016, 09:47 PM
Nope Windows 10, or more to the point EDGE, doesn't store favourites the same way as IE does. IE will Still save them in the favourites folder under your user name folder, but Edge saves them in a single file.

To get to it press the windows Key +R which opens the run command,type ( or better still copy/paste) this path and click OK

%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8w ekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStor e\Data\nouser1\120712-0049\DBStore\

There will be a data base file called spartan.edb That's your favourites.

wainuitech
27-05-2016, 09:58 PM
I wasn't the earliest adopter of W10 but I would never go back now to any earlier version of Windows. Sure, there was a bit of a learning curve with W10, but now it is pretty well instinctive. I have had no problems with either of our machines, and have difficulty understanding why anyone would want to remain with XP, Vista, W7 or W8, some of which were good OS's. But W10 is better. If I can make a suggestion, disable one of the settings that causes the black screen with cursor on bootup.

Turn off Fast Startup http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html a HIGH % like 90+% of all computers that have the problem, with fast Start disabled it boots normally straight away again. If you have the problem then you have to boot into recovery mode and manually edit the registry, so its easy to do it when Windows is running normally.

Got a laptop that was dropped off today here now, some crowd in town had a look at it and said it needed a fresh install -------- Wanna bet :nerd: Had it going in a few minutes after disabling fast start in the registry, NOW to clean out all the crap ;)

linw
28-05-2016, 09:50 AM
Windows 10, or more to the point EDGE, doesn't store favourites the same way as IE does. IE will Still save them in the favourites folder under your user name folder, but Edge saves them in a single file.

To get to it press the windows Key +R which opens the run command,type ( or better still copy/paste) this path and click OK

%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8w ekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStor e\Data\nouser1\120712-0049\DBStore\

Quite easy to find, then, WT!!

Driftwood
28-05-2016, 10:32 AM
Sorry, my mistake on that.
I use both IE & Edge, so have the same favourites saved.

wainuitech
28-05-2016, 11:43 AM
Quite easy to find, then, WT!! Yeah of course :p LOL.

I learnt the first part of the path to "Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8w ekyb3d8bbwe" A while back, its the contents in that folder that needs to be deleted when fixing Edge problems crashing etc.

Sorry, my mistake on that.
I use both IE & Edge, so have the same favourites saved.

You're not wrong Driftwood, the favourites are still in the user folder for IE, just edge is different - and with two Microsoft browsers with a big blue e it can be easy to get the other one. That's why I changed mine to purple, but also use it from the Dock not the taskbar.

Lurking
28-05-2016, 05:50 PM
wai,, interesting last paragraph!:

If anyone wants to use W7 still, that's their choice, but DON'T complain when support is no longer available, new hardware wont work, and when the Computer dies they are forced to change and the learning curve will be huge --- I'm looking forward to saying -- told ya so.

XP on this dung er, W8.1 on lappy and W10 on wifey's, most software seems to flow on up to W10, some of the MS word, excel etc are more bloated with pretty things, but the basics are more than enough for everyday users.

Wifey, having trouble with:

logging into W10: fixed.

Num lock not showing on startup: fixed through the R/H power button provision.

She loves the weather app tho, rofl.

lurking.

wainuitech
28-05-2016, 06:49 PM
Had a person call me today and asked how to roll the PC back to W8.1, She said the only reason she wanted to was since the upgrade, W10 wont play their DVD movies anymore, and she was told by someone "who knows all about computers" :rolleyes::rolleyes: That theres no way W10 can play DVD's.

Errrrrrrrrr :illogical Yeah of course it can, there's the actual DVD player MS supply if your system is eligible http://windows.microsoft.com/en-nz/windows-10/windows-dvd-player

Failing that, there are Free players that work perfectly, sent links to several - take ya pick :D

Bryden
29-05-2016, 01:36 PM
Well am tempted to unplug the tower and trot it in to PB Tech in Hamilton and let them install the SSD and also W10..... My friend who reverted to W7 has hassles with Windows Live Mail.... it proceeded to d/l email back to 2014 and in duplicate.... yikes.... and some of them appear to be just a "ghost" copy and they are the ones that don't want to delete.... a message appears at the bottom of her screen "Message could not be found".... they have decided to go back to W10 and just learn how it works....

Does W10 come with an email programme? I much preferred Outlook Express on earlier computers - my Windows Live Mail give me the "not responding" message from time to time.....

Guess as it is a wet miserable day I could install W10 myself and if I cause a dilemma then unplug it and let PB Tech sort it.... wait to hear rude words if things go awry.... smile

Speedy Gonzales
29-05-2016, 01:47 PM
You can install the mail app (from the store), in win10. Dont know what it's like tho. I use Outlook

You can install thunderbird as well, it's free.

wainuitech
29-05-2016, 02:59 PM
Well am tempted to unplug the tower and trot it in to PB Tech in Hamilton and let them install the SSD and also W10..... My friend who reverted to W7 has hassles with Windows Live Mail.... it proceeded to d/l email back to 2014 and in duplicate.... yikes.... and some of them appear to be just a "ghost" copy and they are the ones that don't want to delete.... a message appears at the bottom of her screen "Message could not be found".... they have decided to go back to W10 and just learn how it works....

Does W10 come with an email programme? I much preferred Outlook Express on earlier computers - my Windows Live Mail give me the "not responding" message from time to time.....

Guess as it is a wet miserable day I could install W10 myself and if I cause a dilemma then unplug it and let PB Tech sort it.... wait to hear rude words if things go awry.... smile Sometimes if a system is rolled back some items do break, windows live mail being quite common.

The inbuilt Windows mail App looks nothing like Other mail programs. Its actually really only a link to Microsoft's Mail site and looks similar. If you look on google for "Windows 10 mail app" and select images it will show what it looks like (currently) as it has changed a bit in the next up and coming builds.

Bryden
29-05-2016, 04:03 PM
Well I have installed W10.... only comment so far is it seems to take forever to load.... going to dig through my paperwork and find out when I bought this tower - had 32GB of RAM installed - just because I could..... my HP laptop with 8 has SSD and that is virtually instant to start.... should I take the tower to the tech and get an SSD installed? I don't mind the cost.....

Speedy Gonzales
29-05-2016, 04:29 PM
The hdd must be slow if it's slow with 32 GB ram. Or there's bloatware on the hdd.

I would just buy the ssd, if you want one. Replace the hdd, and reinstall windows yourself. Save yourself some money

wainuitech
29-05-2016, 04:43 PM
Well I have installed W10.... only comment so far is it seems to take forever to load.... going to dig through my paperwork and find out when I bought this tower - had 32GB of RAM installed - just because I could..... my HP laptop with 8 has SSD and that is virtually instant to start.... should I take the tower to the tech and get an SSD installed? I don't mind the cost..... Could be doing updates, there will be a few, could also be a problem with disc usage --Press ctrl+Alt+Del, open task manager - look at disk usage, if its sitting at 100% you need to disable some settings.

Mainly the notifications, Start/Settings/System/Notifications & Actions, Under Notifications disable the LOT, reboot, if its still slow then its either updates, or some other cause as speedy mentioned.

nmercer
29-05-2016, 05:19 PM
SSD sounds like a good investment for your OS drive.

Bryden
29-05-2016, 05:44 PM
WT - turned off all Notifications and it definitely is quicker to boot up..... Speedy, I do not have the confidence (or ability) to do engineering type things with my tower.... I am much happier to pay someone who knows what they are doing to undertake those tasks.... As the tower could be 4 years old, it could be time for a replacement anyway..... off to check when I bought it.... I have a 26" AOC screen and that has been simply superb - love it....

Bryden
29-05-2016, 05:52 PM
Bought the computer in May 2012 - must be time for a replacement.... WT - any recommendations as to what I should have installed please? I have PB Tech build what I want.....

dugimodo
29-05-2016, 06:12 PM
Depending what you got in 2012 and what you do with it replacing it may be completely unnecessary. Your choice of course, but having an SSD installed should make it much more responsive and faster to boot and may be all you need.
As for mail programs, there's the app Wainui mentioned or you can install the mail program you prefer - most of them work on windows 10. Personally I moved to web mail some time ago and set my E-mail webpage as one of my home pages. I find it better as I can check my mail on whatever PC I'm near and it causes no issues.

Bryden
30-05-2016, 09:43 AM
Webmail - isn't the disadvantage that if for some reason your wifi is down, you cannot access any of your mail?

dugimodo
30-05-2016, 09:54 AM
Yes I suppose that's true, although my smartphone still has access. I don't use wi-fi, my internet rarely goes down, and I can always access it at work or on my phone, so that's not really an issue for me.
If I'm really desperate for internet access the smartphone can become a Wi-Fi hotspot as well. Actually I've contemplated only using the phone for E-mail, but some things will always be easier sitting at the desktop.

30-05-2016, 10:03 AM
As for mail programs, ....

Outlook. (assuming you arnt using IMAP)
Its so much easier to transfer the email(+contacts, cal etc) from 1 PC to another. Its very much the industry standard , for professional mail clients.
I prefer it to Win Live Mail (or whatever MS call that now) .

Misty
31-05-2016, 06:45 PM
I did read, many months ago, that if you download Windows 10, then decide not to go ahead and revert to 7 or 8, then regardless of how long has passed that you can again install Windows 10 for free. Did not seem
like a fairy story .... but then, who knows ? JMTCW, cheers Jim

pcuser42
31-05-2016, 06:49 PM
Yup, that's correct - once Windows 10 is installed it's valid for the lifetime of the PC. :)

Bryden
31-05-2016, 08:07 PM
Has anyone heard screaming coming from Hamilton? My friend and I took her computer to PB Tech this morning for some TLC.... The tech suggested we take the computer home again and back up anything considered vital before he stripped out Windows Live Mail and reinstalled it.... I brought the PC here and set up a folder on the desktop to export the Inbox folders to.... the first headache came when I tried to copy that folder to a USB drive - wouldn't do it.... tried a couple of times and then decided to see if I could write it to a disk - again no luck. When I investigated the contents of the folder the emails had been altered in that the name of the sender or recipient were replaced with code numbers.... however, I could open those files and view the messages.... tomorrow it is going back to my friend and she is going to see if she can print any of the emails, if for some reason she cannot then she will try copying and pasting to a blank page, and a final step will be to see if she can forward them to me and if they are readable on receipt - assuming she is able to forward the text.

To add insult to injury, when I checked my own emails I had about half a dozen which I could not open - got a message "an error has occurred".... sigh.... once I had clicked on an email and got said message, I could then delete same - unread -which I couldn't do before.....

Keep reminding me that Windows 10 is fun and not boring like Windows 7.............

Bryden
31-05-2016, 08:09 PM
1101 - Where to I get Outlook from please.... How do I know if I am using IMAP?

berryb
31-05-2016, 11:15 PM
My finding is Windows 10 upgrade works 99% of the time with 5% rolling back due to software compatibility or just complete stuff ups during the upgrade.

If you have MYOB do not upgrade - they do not support it and use it as a great excuse why their rubbish software stops working. - I will add I am referring to Payroll here. Also only compatible with Outlook 2003 to 2010!

Whenu
01-06-2016, 06:36 PM
Did a clean install on an 8 year old Toshiba lappie, only problem is trying to import messages to Live Mail, in iaf format. Gave up in the end, decided there was nothing major there anyway.
Seems to be going ok, interesting features.

tut
02-06-2016, 09:11 AM
Windows 10, or more to the point EDGE, doesn't store favourites the same way as IE does. IE will Still save them in the favourites folder under your user name folder, but Edge saves them in a single file.

I get very frustrated at my inability to make instructions work. Solved the problem anyway. Activated IE11. All works good. Will address the problem again later.

Many thanks to all that replied.