PDA

View Full Version : Optic drive/s not Writing but Reading

kioti
25-05-2016, 11:26 AM
Hi. Problem with optic drive not write to blank discs. Keeps telling me to enter a disc. Have same issue in W7 x64 Ultimate and W10 Pro. Also tried using W7 installed to HDD that is just there in my collection of them...Have uninstalled/reinstalled optic drives, Driver updates say best is installed. Have used 3 optic drives and same problem: all say enter a blank disc and clicking Optic drive Properties shows Space: 0 bytes used and Space: 0 bytes available, Capacity 0 bytes... with or without a blank DVD inserted. Have tried many 'fixes' found from Googling problem: deleting upper and lower filters in regedit, used MS 'Fixit' and all to no avail. System restore didn't fix anything..Device Manager says Device is working properly..Frustrated to the max.
Optic drives will read CD and DVD discs, I don't know if can burn to CD as I don't have a blank CD to test if it will burn to. In total...optic drives read but will not write. To my mind, odds of all 3 drives needing lens cleaning not really a likelihood and the one I usually use was working fine a week ago in both W7 and W10. Basically, from the info gained from clicking Properties and receiving the same Zero bytes Space/Capacity using 3 optic drives and 2 OS's has gotten me stumped. Unfortunately I do not have another PC with functioning OS in which I can connect the optic drives and attempt to burn to DVD.
Ideas appreciated. Thanks
kioti

Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 / AMD AthlonII X4 630 2.8Ghz / Adata 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 800Mhz / Graphics Onboard ATI Radeon 2100 (WDDM) / CoolerMaster 650W PSU / HDD's used to test Optics All Seagate Sata 2 160GB (W7X64 Ultimate)+ 1TB (W7X64 Ultimate) + 2TB (W10 Pro X64)

Speedy Gonzales
25-05-2016, 11:41 AM
Did you install any programs like daemontools / any cd/dvd emulation programs??

Dbl click on the dvd in device go to the details tab, look for upper class and lower class filter. Or something like that. What does it say?

What did you delete under upper/lower filter in the registry if it was there?

kioti
25-05-2016, 06:21 PM
hi Speedy Gonzales: yep I have Daemon Tools Ultra installed and about 4 virtual drives, only emulation I have is Bluestacks 2 for doing analysis in Criminal case. In Reg I deleted lower filters from where it showed in about 12 entries...about 4 of them I deleted. I also created a new DWord in the Reg per this guide http://www.technipages.com/enable-disable-cd-burning-windows..I gave it a value (1) and that was no goo as it disables the disabled. I deleted the newly created DWORD and value. I did all that Reg things after I had tried the 3 optic drives etc. I am not at home in front of my computer at the moment, I am in the Local Library using their CDBurnerXP app to get the DVD's written. I will get back here in about 2 hours..say 8pm NZ time....yes I did read about removing any virtual Drives: the HDD with W7 I tried as a last resort does not have any Daemon tools programs/Apps/Virtual drives . I will be here in 3 hours max when I am home.
Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
25-05-2016, 06:52 PM
Thats what would have caused it. You only have to delete the driver it added not the whole upperfilter/lowerfilter entry in the registry

kioti
25-05-2016, 08:41 PM
Thats what would have caused it. You only have to delete the driver it added not the whole upperfilter/lowerfilter entry in the registry
Speedy, I didn't do the upper/lower filter delete until I had attempted all else. You want to have a TeamViewer look? I am at home and in W10...have TV 11

kioti

kioti
25-05-2016, 09:04 PM
edit: uninstalled DT Ultra 4, inserted Ritek DVD-R X16 into optic drive..in File Explorer/ This PC / Right click DVD Drive (D) / Properties/...on General Tab it says: Type CD Drive..File System Unknown..Space-Used/Free/Capacity Zero... that is with the Ritek DVD Blank in the Optic drive. And it is the same without the Blank DVD in the Optic drive.
Shrug...Grrrrrrrrrrrr :D

kioti
25-05-2016, 09:51 PM
End of day, I think that my having DTools installed has nought to do with the optic drives only being seen as CD/DVD Read and blank DVD-R/RW being seen as CD. I have had nothing but problems since I installed W10 from a DVD created with Media Creation Tool. Bluestacks Crim Case now cannot connect to FB yet I can get into FB and open Crim case. Nag watermark showed up in W10 telling me to Activate and yet I downloaded and installed W10 which is Pro...what is it...1511? and I have been on the blower to MS and they have the cheek to tell me that my W7 'Product Key" is 'Blocked'....since effin when.....since 3 months ago I upgraded my W7X64 Ultimate to W10? And maybe all the W10 wipe ya out updates that are coming down the line and into MY computer running MY Legit W7X64 Ultimate I bought Retail for $319NZD in 2008. So I get the 'Free' upgrade to the Awe Might-be WX and get screwed out of my $319NZD to run as a non-paid Beta Tester for MS?
Sigh...........wrap it up and thanks. I will wipe HDD's of W7 and W10 and start from new.....and if my W7 doesn't activate I will be kicking some no butts. Not that it will do me any good. Mine is a voice in the wilderness...shouting into wind and there is no-one behind me I can hear.

wainuitech
25-05-2016, 10:45 PM
The activation problem -- What actual version of W10 ? The original (Build 10240) you HAD to upgrade from a previous Installed OS, but with the latest (10586) you can use a W7 Key to activate as a fresh install.

When you try to manually activate what is the exact full error message / Code ? One simple test, run a keyfinder, what are the last 5 digits of the key, if its 3V66T then it HAS activated.

If W10 was ever activated ( even only for a few minutes) then something has changed it, because with W10 it registers the Motherboard once the key is accepted the first time, thus making your key useless and no longer required.

As for the DVD drive not writing -- If you have those programs like Daemon Tools, they can really screw things up and cant really repair with out a full reinstall, especially if you do an upgrade to W10, lots are simply not fully compatible.

Daemon Tools can actually cause upgrade / install problems with W10, its advised to completely remove it first ( including ALL registry entries and folders left behind), so your problems may actually be your own making, not W10's.

With Windows 10 you dont need Daemon Tools to mount images as its built in.

Speedy Gonzales
25-05-2016, 11:44 PM
If youre still here Kioti give me an id and pw in a PM. I'll have a quick look

Speedy Gonzales
25-05-2016, 11:58 PM
Right click DVD Drive (D) / Properties/...on General Tab it says: Type CD Drive

I'm pretty sure this is normal. Mine says the same thing, but I dont have blank dvds.

I havent used it to burn anything, or put any dvds in it, since I built it 2 yrs ago !

kioti
26-05-2016, 02:44 PM
wainuitech, hi. Long story about W10. First I got it 5-6 month ago as upgrade from W7x64 Ultimate. Couldn't get to like it so rolled back to W7 I had......then about 6-8 week ago I d'loaded W10 from MS and used the Media Creation Tool to create a W10 DVD. Couple week later I installed it to a 2TB HDD. I had W7 installed to a 1TB HDD...
I had probs with my computer not detecting HDD's a few weeks back and I cleared CMOS..battery out and short clrcmos pins. Then When I opened W10 I got the Activations notice. Contacted MS and had a right set to with a waman there telling me that the computer I had built myself was issued with pre-installed Windows 7. Then she told me that my Product key is blocked....crap...I just installed W7 to a hard drive and updated it to SP1 and NetFX4....will be at 4.6 soon with more updates.
The fresh Instal of W7 has done nothing to change the DVD no read a Blank Disc so as far as I am concerned its a mobo problem. This mobo I have has developed a few...no recognize/run a PCIe Graphics card....USB ports thar have been mangled by people forcing their USB plug into them the wrong way and if I accidently plus into one of the 2 stuffed ports its instant loss of image to monitor and computer still running. Have to restart comp....All that about Daemon tools affecting W10 upgrade/Instal is probably true but I didn't have DT Ultra 4 installed at that I upgraded W7->W10 or when I Dloaded W10 and created the DVD using Media Creation Tool. I cant remember the version of W10(Build)...I have the Key for the W10 that the woman at MS was telling me is unactivated because the W7 I used to upgrad e was OEM and blocked. I just installed and activated a blocked W7 about 4 hours ago. Whe I upgraded my W7 to W10 months ago MS have all the info on the insides of my computer down to CPU serial and when I installed W10 from the DVD i had created it ws being installed to the same computer as what it had been upgraded to and she trying to tell me that my computer came with preinstalled software. I have a PC and not a Laptop/Tablet whatever that MS seem to think everyone has and that they got it all new or second hand and its come shipped with preinstalled MS Windows 7/8/8.1 ot these days W10.
The license key for the W10 I had is VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T and I dont mind posting the full key here because it is the same key that has gone to the millions of people to take up the Free Upgrade. One great big MS Windows Global OEM (while stocks last)
The only different piece of hardware in my PC that was used was the HDD to which I installed the 2nd W10..the 2TB HDD....and that was in my computer when I upgraded the W7 to W10 months ago...except the W7 to W10 upgrade was done when W7 was on a 160GB HDD...Mobo/ CPU / RAM / PSU all the same.
Here is a link to the thread I posted about the W10 activation problem. Gets a bit Fiery http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3057861/win10-fresh-instal-activation.html?xtor=EPR-8809#17988252
So, end of the day I have a problem somewhere with the DVD not acknowledging a blank DVD to write to, yet it will read a DVD and play Movies and instal Op System.
Icing on the cake for me....few weeks back I went to play a DVD in my standalone player and that no play, opened it to have a looksee and got a fireworks disply where a small transformer is (was)... so, inserted DVD into the one that is built into my TV and that no read/play...No Disc shows on screen.
Game over . I using Optic Drive in my computer to watch movies at the moment. Watched Kojak: The Belarus File last night. Fell asleep about halfway thru...gonna watch rest of it now.
Thanks for your input.

kioti
26-05-2016, 03:06 PM
Speedy Gonzales. hi. Thanks for the offer to look into my computer via Team Viewer. I didn't see it til this morning. I have installed W7 x64 Freshly today and there is still no change with the optic drives reading blank DVD media so I'm guessing its a failing Mobo. Apart from RAM and PSU its the only piece of hardware that hasn't been changed..plus 4 diffenet W7/W10 op systems. I have a few old PC's here running P4 Cpus...I will get one running and use the installed Op System that is on the HDD inside it.....I know mostly they have XP Pro and one has 2000 but it isn't important. Want to see if the optic drive/s read blank DVD-R media in a different set up of Hardware.
Thanks

KarameaDave
26-05-2016, 03:53 PM
Have you tried booting a Linux on a USB flash drive
and check if that can burn DVDs?
This will tell you if the problem is hardware (if Linux can't burn)
or software (if Linux can burn)

wainuitech
26-05-2016, 04:41 PM
Since the product key is showing what it is, that means the Motherboard was in fact activated at one point. If it rejects it, it will do it right away, not days/Weeks / Months later.

When you install Windows 10 it makes the original Key defunct since its an upgrade.

To quote another site /Article:

How the Free Windows 10 License Works

The free Windows 10 license Microsoft is providing to upgraders works differently. Microsoft won’t issue you a Windows 10 product key. Instead, when you perform an upgrade from within Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or Windows 8.1, the upgrade process registers a unique ID associated with your PC’s hardware on Microsoft’s Windows activation servers.

In the future, whenever you install Windows 10 on that same PC, it will automatically report to Microsoft’s activation servers. Microsoft will confirm that the PC with that specific hardware configuration is allowed to use Windows 10, and it’ll automatically be activated.

This isn’t actually made clear in the installation process itself. To clean-install Windows 10 on a machine activated in this way, you have to continually skip all the product key prompts while installing it.

This automatic process only works if your PC has the same hardware it had when you upgraded to Windows 10.

I have installed W7 x64 Freshly today and there is still no change with the optic drives reading blank DVD media so I'm guessing its a failing Mobo

I'd be more inclined to say the DVD drive is the problem not the motherboard, if it reads as being there but not working then change the DVD drive, because if you go and change the motherboard, your original W7 key now wont work to activate as its been swallowed by the original Windows 10 Upgrade and tied to that original Motherboard.

You can happily change DVD,HDD's, RAM,PSU, graphic Cards etc without effecting the activation. Motherboard - NO !

kioti
26-05-2016, 06:55 PM
[QUOTE=wainuitech;1245328]Since the product key is showing what it is, that means the Motherboard was in fact activated at one point. If it rejects it, it will do it right away, not days/Weeks / Months later.

When you install Windows 10 it makes the original Key defunct since its an upgrade.

To quote another site /Article:

I'd be more inclined to say the DVD drive is the problem not the motherboard, if it reads as being there but not working then change the DVD drive, because if you go and change the motherboard, your original W7 key now wont work to activate as its been swallowed by the original Windows 10 Upgrade and tied to that original Motherboard.

You can happily change DVD,HDD's, RAM,PSU, graphic Cards etc without effecting the activation. Motherboard - NO !

wainuitech.hi and thanks. yeah confusing all that about myW7 key being swallowed up when I upgraded 7 to 10 months back as I explained and as I'm sure you may have read in the link to thread I created elsewhere. I installed W7 again in dual boot with W10 today and it activated so I don't quite understand all this about my LKey being no longer any good.
I have a working DVD drive in my main computer now. Its an oldie that I took from a Lenova 3000 J Series running a Celeron D, 1GB RAM (Probably that RAM that came before DDR1 :D ). I fitted a 40GB HDD IDE ATA and installed W7 to it. Didn't enter LK, just wanted to use it to test the 3 Optic drives. When all was up and running I swapped out the Optic and replace with the 3 'faulty' ones...all failed to read a Blank DVD....hmmmmm I thinking. I was reluctant to put the Hitachi LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM_GSA-H10N ATA from the Lenova into my main comp in case there was some issue and it would mess the Hitachi DVD drive. At least it being in the Lenova gave me a working Optic drive capable of writing to blank DVD media: albeit having to do some Flash Drive transfer of files.
I am glad to report that the Hitachi Optic Drive is fully functioning in 2xW7x64 Ultimate and 1xW10 X64 Pro in my main Comp.
A tad peculiar that all 3 optic drives I had tried had lost the ability to read blank DVD media. I don't have a Laser cleaning disc but will purchase one and give the 3 drives a clean with it. More cost!!! I remember when I bought one when I was in Invercargil about 8 year ago and they were $5-$6 at the Warehouse. I was in the Warehouse and saw them on sale and cost was $19.95. Mentioned the price hike to the salesman and he replied "People don't buy them much"....I'm not surprised at that price.

thanks for the good advice and yeah it is/was the optic drives at fault. Uncannily enough.