PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading hard drive to a SSD

ianhnz
23-05-2016, 06:12 PM
Hi guys.
Been thinking, for a while, about upgrading my lappys hard drive to a Crucial MX200 250GB SATA3 2.5" SSD , 7mm.
But my beloved is a bit reluctant as believes they are still untested and has concern about reliability.
WE understand they are basically the same as flash drives and we have had quite a few packing up.
So my question is, just how reliable are they?
Was reading a trade me thread today and some guy bought one 3 months ago and show 60 odd errors?
Had my external SSD a while and checked today and says all good.
So be interested in your feedback, on this?
Thank you,
Ian

wainuitech
23-05-2016, 06:37 PM
SSD's can be the same as a standard HDD. They can fail at any time, or last for years. Some brands are worse than others for failures.

The one advantage a HDD may have is sometimes they may give a warning things are about to go :yuck: Where as a SSD will usually just die.

ianhnz
23-05-2016, 06:39 PM
SSD's can be the same as a standard HDD. They can fail at any time, or last for years. Some brands are worse than others for failures.

The one advantage a HDD may have is sometimes they may give a warning things are about to go :yuck: Where as a SSD will usually just die.

I understand that Crucial are pretty good and have 3 year warranty?

autechre
24-05-2016, 09:14 AM
I understand that Crucial are pretty good and have 3 year warranty?

They're not bad.

As far as I know, Samsung & IBM SSD drives are still top of the heap in terms of reliability & performance.

dugimodo
24-05-2016, 10:04 AM
I've used Crucial and Samsung a few times now and like them both. Samsung has nicer software but that doesn't really matter.
You play the odds, there will always be some failures as Wainui says but for the most part the are fairly reliable.

I've also had an inTel 120GB SSD I bought when they first came out, were expensive, and people were nervous about reliability.
It's still going strong (And maybe that's what autechre meant rather than IBM ?).

I can only give a small sample size but I've never had a failure and have been happy with the performance of all the drives I've had.
So far that includes:
Intel 120GB - sold in an old PC and still going
Crucial 120GB x 2 - used in a laptop and NUC I sold
Samsung 830 Evo 256GB (or 240?)
Crucial 240GB (currently recycled into a 2nd hand AIO)
Samsung Msata 120GB (in my media player NUC)
Samsung M.2 850 evo 512GB & Crucial MX100 512GB - drives in my Gaming PC currently

As you can see I change PC's too often and love SSD's