PDA

View Full Version : NEW PC - Windows vs Chrome OS vs OSX

GermanShepherdN7
23-05-2016, 05:05 PM
Hello,

I am trying to decide on whether I want to build a new Windows PC, go with a Chromebox or a Mac Mini.

To me here are the pluses and minuses for each system to me:
Windows - superior hardware but I am done with software/hardware issues & viruses etc.
OSX - Mac Mini is too expensive for what you get.
Chrome OS - cheap, virus issues greatly diminished, being spied on by Google is not cool.

I am kinda leaning towards a Chromebox but I really, really don't want to store my files etc in the cloud.

Are external hard drives reliable enough that I could attach it to a Chromebox so that I could keep my personal files out of the cloud?

Any additional thoughts and wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks SO much in advance! :)

GermanShepherdN7
23-05-2016, 05:41 PM
Oops, that should read, "to me here are the pluses and minuses for each system:"

For some reason, I have lost the ability to edit this post.

Also, I can't add an Avatar photo.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why?

Bryan
23-05-2016, 05:50 PM
Avatar? You need a number more posts to qualify but I don't know the number.

Chilling_Silence
23-05-2016, 06:09 PM
An external HDD is no more or less reliable than an internal one realistically. Same HDD, just in an enclosure.

Your required budget will vary wildly depending on what you go for too, so keep that in mind ;)

gary67
23-05-2016, 07:45 PM
Out of all those choices I would go with a desktop running Linux and Windows dual booted.

There really are no hardware/ software issues any more and good browsing habits will keep you pretty well safe. I often use Linux to visit some not quite so reputable websites and Windows for everything else.

Macs are seriously overpriced and do get viruses they just won't admit it too often.

Chrome comps I knew someone who bought one and regretted it after just 2 days simply because everything is browser and web based.

GermanShepherdN7
24-05-2016, 05:37 AM
Thanks for your help answering this question, Bryan! :)

GermanShepherdN7
24-05-2016, 05:50 AM
Thank you Chilling_Silence for the advice about HDDs. I think I may and try and hunt down a Samsung 500GB EVO.

GermanShepherdN7
24-05-2016, 05:51 AM
And my thanks to you as well, gary67! I am thinking about sticking with Windows over a Mac Mini due to the price issue (and it not being upgradeable).

And like you mentioned, Linux may be something I need to look at again (I did take a look at it many months ago), and a Chrome OS device may be too limiting.

GermanShepherdN7
24-05-2016, 05:52 AM
My sincerest thanks again to everyone for taking the time to help and pass along your wisdom and advice!!! :)