PDA

View Full Version : New Build: Need some help

DarkFather
21-05-2016, 05:03 AM
I am currently putting together my new build. I have not build a PC myself in 8 years, so thing have changed a lot since then. I am behind in what I know so have a few things I need answered.

Build is:

Corsair H60 Water Cool
AMD FX 8350 4.0ghz Black 8 Core
ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z Motherboard
GeForce GTX-960 4GB DDR5 with ACX 2.0 cooling fans
WD Black 500GB HD
DIYPC Skyline-07-G Black/Green SECC ATX Full Tower Gaming USB 3.0 Computer Case w/ 7 x 120mm Green fans
32GB (8X4) CORSAIR Vengeance Pro DDR3 SDRAM
EVGA 220-PS-1000-V1 80 PLUS Platinum 1000 Watt

http://imgur.com/a/9drsa

1) I got a Corsair H60 Water Cooler and after watching Youtube video got it installed with the AMD FX . (hard to get it in alone, but I did it) However, now I need to know which to plug the cooler into and which to plug the fan into. Does the fan go into CPU FAN and the water cooler go into CPU OPT? I have read many ways reading online and have not got a definite answer. Furthermore, the fan is a 4 pin and the water cooler is 3 pin, but my MB CPU FAN and CPU OPT ports are both 4 pins. Do I need to get a adapter or can I just plug the 3 pin into the 4 pin slot and it will be ok? Was using the paste that came with the water cooler ok, other people said it is good quality? This really was a pain to install.

2) The case I purchased (listed above) came with 7 fans already installed. But, the connectors are not the same kind for my Power Supply. (if you click the pics I took you can see them in the second pic). The Power supply came with the normal Power 4 PIN. This has me perplexed as to what to do, because there is nowhere to plug them into the MB that I can see. Is the Power 4 Pin cable labeled (Fan Controller) actually the one you plug into the MB and it powers the fans? Or is that for the Power Supply and the power supply powers the fans? This really has me confused, this tower came with essentially zero instructions.

3) My MB has two separate plugs for the CPU power. One (the main one) is 8 and the second is 4. Do I use two separate cables and only use half the second one for the 4, making sure the second one is plugged into the CPU2 spot of the Power supply?

Thanx.

Speedy Gonzales
21-05-2016, 10:12 AM
According to the manual for it on the Corsair site, the pump power from the cooler, goes to a 3 or 4 pin fan header on the mobo.

There's only one connector on it. The paste thats on the cooler should be OK

Disable the CPU fan speed stuff in the BIOS. It'll probably error since youre using the cooler

The radiator fan even tho the Corsair site doesnt say where to plug it in would probably go into a 3-4 pin fan header

If the fans in the case have 3-4 pins plug them into the 3-4 fan headers

I dont think the mobo has 7 fan headers tho.

Speedy Gonzales
21-05-2016, 10:19 AM
Looks like the 3 pin connectors in the case are for the fan controller, on the front ? Connect whichever fans in the case to it

Connect the rest to the fan headers on the mobo

Speedy Gonzales
21-05-2016, 10:22 AM
This guy uses an H50 (http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2026453/question-wiring-fans-fan-controller-diypc-skyline.html). He connected the water cooler power to the CPU header the fan to the opt header.

pctek
21-05-2016, 12:48 PM
[QUOTE=DarkFather;1245099

The case I purchased came with 7 fans already installed. But, the connectors are not the same kind for my Power Supply. [/QUOTE]

You'll most likely need a molex adapter thingy for the fans:
http://www.overclockers.co.nz/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=500

Or 3pin to sata cable thing most likely these days, molex not being so common.