PDA

View Full Version : Auto download

Driftwood
16-05-2016, 01:38 PM
Have be using the Edge browser lately.
Seems to be working a lot better now.
Was wondering if anyone has figured out how to stop the auto download.
Example:
I download mods & tracks for rFactor racing.
If I follow a link to a download site, edge will start the download automatically.
I don't get the option to view the file first or select where to save the file.
I have to quickly click on the pause button if I want to check it first.
I some cases I may already have that particular one or a later version.

feersumendjinn
16-05-2016, 09:49 PM
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/46038-microsoft-edge-download-save-prompt-turn-off-windows-10-a.html
Is this what you're after?

wainuitech
16-05-2016, 10:41 PM
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/46038-microsoft-edge-download-save-prompt-turn-off-windows-10-a.html
Is this what you're after? That option is not yet available in the general Public release. its only available on the insider builds ( currently).

If its a file that's already downloading but stopped, with edge open, try pressing ctrl+ J and the download options will open, you should be able to click on it and stop.

If you are going to a page and its auto downloading then that's the actual download option OR there's some sort of devious link embedded. Edge shouldn't auto download, it should only download once you click on a link to download.

Driftwood
17-05-2016, 10:13 AM
Here is the comparison with IE.

In IE, if I go to my favorite down site & select one of the mods.
When I click on the download link, I get a prompt across the bottom, saying, "do you want to open or save" also gives the file name & size.

In Edge, I get a prompt across the bottom saying, file is downloading & you have the choice of pause or cancel.
I does give the file name, but not the size.

wainuitech
17-05-2016, 11:48 AM
Here is the comparison with IE.

In IE, if I go to my favorite down site & select one of the mods.
When I click on the download link, I get a prompt across the bottom, saying, "do you want to open or save" also gives the file name & size.

In Edge, I get a prompt across the bottom saying, file is downloading & you have the choice of pause or cancel.
I does give the file name, but not the size. Sounds right. :)

The options you are wanting are not available in the Current public release, BUT they will be in the next big upgrade, sometime in July.

The insider builds have had these options for a while now including the ones feersumendjinn linked to. You cant activate options that aren't there in the current build.

There are ways to get them Via third party programs ( so I 've read) but no idea if the work or how stable etc.

dugimodo
17-05-2016, 12:56 PM
Can you right click the link and does that give you options?
IE is the only browser that gives you the option to open or run files direct from a link as far as I know.

Driftwood
17-05-2016, 04:51 PM
Figured that might be the case, I can wait.
I'll just use IE for downloades till then.

Sounds right. :)

The options you are wanting are not available in the Current public release, BUT they will be in the next big upgrade, sometime in July.

The insider builds have had these options for a while now including the ones feersumendjinn linked to. You cant activate options that aren't there in the current build.

There are ways to get them Via third party programs ( so I 've read) but no idea if the work or how stable etc.

Driftwood
17-05-2016, 04:52 PM
Can you right click the link and does that give you options?
IE is the only browser that gives you the option to open or run files direct from a link as far as I know.

Havent tried that, Ill just use IE for now