PDA

View Full Version : New ISP

ianhnz
14-05-2016, 05:49 PM
Hi all.
Getting my lappy updated to a SSD soon and was thinking about upgrading wifi to the AC band.
My sparky modem is dual band, but been having so many problems with the fiber thinking about moving when contact expires in September.
Any ideas on a good reliable ISP, hopefully with AC modems, cause cant afford to buy one?
Thanks,
Ian

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2016, 06:55 PM
The AC modem has nothing to do with it, that's within the house not what the ISP provides

If you use AC adapters at home they'll use it. If you use Wireless B/G on the computers they'll go at G or N speed, when they're connected to the modem

ianhnz
14-05-2016, 06:59 PM
Thanks Speedy.
Okay understand that, now can anyone suggest a good reliable ISP with good speeds etc?
We have terrible problems with buffering and that endless circle.
Think it's trying to hypnotize us, or something.
Goes round and round and round, etc, no connection like...

Driftwood
14-05-2016, 08:57 PM
Which provider do you currently use.

ianhnz
14-05-2016, 09:40 PM
Which provider do you currently use.

Currently with Sparky.
Been with NZ POst Office/Telecom now Sparky for over 40 years.
Woked with Post Office/Telecom for about 25 years.
Be hard to leave, but been trying to get this resolved since about October last year.

wainuitech
14-05-2016, 11:23 PM
Currently with Sparky.
Been with NZ POst Office/Telecom now Sparky for over 40 years.
Woked with Post Office/Telecom for about 25 years.
Be hard to leave, but been trying to get this resolved since about October last year. A LOT has to do with your location, the state of the lines, amount of usage etc. Sometimes it doesn't matter who your ISP is, if the location cant get a certain speed, reliability then it wont matter.

See who your neighbors are with and what sort of speeds they get.

Like today, at a persons place, their internet speed (if you can even call it that) was SLOWER than Dialup most of the time. When discussing the connection I was told the whole area is exactly the same.

They are with Spark, but their neighbors and friends all with different ISP's, ALL having the same problem. Most of the time during the weekends its not even worth while going on the internet so they said, I did a slow test ( wont insult it by calling it anything else), it topped out at 0.09 (Thats not a typo either). I was trying to download a 63MB printer install, didn't happen.

linw
14-05-2016, 11:43 PM
He said his was a fibre connection, WT.

wainuitech
15-05-2016, 12:02 AM
He said his was a fibre connection, WT. Missed that the original post the text is very small and don't have my glasses on.

BUT again doesn't really matter -- heard horror stories from many people who have fibre, different ISP's, and rubbish service. All the ISP's use the same fibre line, which goes back to my original comment "See who your neighbors are with and what sort of speeds they get."

Theres a guy down the road from me who is on the same plan I have with Vodafone cable, on the rare occasion theres a sustained problem he contacts me to see if I'm getting the same - its a good cross reference.

16-05-2016, 12:24 PM

is this buffering on online vids ?
Im with spark & I have the buffering issue with online/streaming video, except for youtube, that works perfectly (now that they fixed there issue with that)

Chilling_Silence
17-05-2016, 12:37 AM
Doesn't matter if it's YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, Twitch.tv, you should be able to stream 2-3mbps easily for a 720p video. If you can't, there's something *horribly* horribly wrong...

Lawrence
17-05-2016, 08:09 AM
How old is your Laptop/make /model etc? ,can you get someone else to try their Laptop to see if you get the same results

I suspect this is where the problem lies,think of Broadband as fuel and your Laptop as a car a newer car is always better for power and efficiency than something older

karbren
20-05-2016, 08:50 PM
I install fibre and you will get buffering on other sites but not you tube. If your having problems with speed on fibre it is a combination of things. One the connectors may not be clean enough resulting in slower speeds, secondly I don't think the providers are up to the task due the current demand for fibre. As for the modems they supply most of them are crap as I always get complaints about the wi-fi or the speed. If you get buffering with you tube it is a Chorus issue and not a provider generally. All providers have their own issues but My Republic give the best speed since most gamers will choose them over anyone else. Chorus have told all providers to ramp up all their services in 18 months to 2 years as we are not getting any benefit out of the fibre at all. They get better speeds in Korea than here for now. I can't give the technical specs like WT can but I hear the everyday issues from customers.

ianhnz
20-05-2016, 09:01 PM
Fiber installed last September and we had problems from day one.
We was on the very lowest plan, can't remember but we switched to 100/20 a couple months latter.
I have spent hours and hours on the phone with both spark and fiber company.
They even tried the 200 plan, but speed never changed.
I have been running both win 10 computers on Ethernet cat 5 cables.
The guy that upgraded our computers also did a speed test, with his gear and was same as ours.
I've given up on them, but every month or so I email and tell them nothing changes.
We have contract that runs out first week September and have told them we outa here then, because I have to pay to break.
Anyone know what it would cost us to break contract?
We basically given up, with them...
I worked for Post Office then Telecom for almost 25 years and was a better company then.

Chilling_Silence
21-05-2016, 09:50 PM
I install fibre and you will get buffering on other sites but not you tube. If your having problems with speed on fibre it is a combination of things. One the connectors may not be clean enough resulting in slower speeds, secondly I don't think the providers are up to the task due the current demand for fibre. As for the modems they supply most of them are crap as I always get complaints about the wi-fi or the speed. If you get buffering with you tube it is a Chorus issue and not a provider generally. All providers have their own issues but My Republic give the best speed since most gamers will choose them over anyone else. Chorus have told all providers to ramp up all their services in 18 months to 2 years as we are not getting any benefit out of the fibre at all. They get better speeds in Korea than here for now. I can't give the technical specs like WT can but I hear the everyday issues from customers.

Bollocks, the lot of it!
Chorus are not the bottleneck to YouTube, your ISP is.
MyRepublic are not the fastest, they're the slowest, just look at TrueNet reports, the NZ Commerce Commission contract to them to report on them and they always state MyRepublic are slowest!

ianhnz
21-05-2016, 09:56 PM
Bollocks, the lot of it!
Chorus are not the bottleneck to YouTube, your ISP is.
MyRepublic are not the fastest, they're the slowest, just look at TrueNet reports, the NZ Commerce Commission contract to them to report on them and they always state MyRepublic are slowest!

So who/whom would you suggest we go with.
Had a cuts full of sparky, not very bright, that one and silly name :)

wainuitech
21-05-2016, 11:27 PM
They are all as bad as one another. :( Been to plenty of customers places that dont get anywhere near what they are paying for, all different ISP's as well as different plans.

When we had the guy from Chorus around to replace our Blown Cable modem a few weeks back (since its rented from Vodafone) He asked me if I was considering UFB which runs right outside our place - I said no not really, his reply was -- Good decision, there's a lot of problems with it delivering consistent advertised speed, and I'd be best to stay on the cable I'm on.

He showed me the actual speed the cable ( I'm on) is capable of delivering :eek::drool:drool

How do I get that fast was the question ? -- His reply - the plans are coming and when it does it makes what I currently got look like dial up in comparison, and NO ISP is offering UFB at the speed the cable can deliver right now , the UFB all top out at 200Mbps currently.

Heres the plans: http://ufb.org.nz/pricing-plans/

It still goes back to my original comment where its coming from. Do a local speed test and I top out, jump the ditch to Aussie and mine drops by half.

dugimodo
22-05-2016, 12:08 AM
To add to Wainui's comments about it not being Chorus, bear in mind that they only have some parts of the country and it's other companies installing UFB elsewhere. In my area for example it's Ultrafast fibre owned by WEL & Waipa networks and crown fibre holdings. No Chorus involvement at all. And yet these problems are happening everywhere.

I think it's a combination of not enough back haul capacity for peak loads in some ISPs/areas and too many customers sharing the same equipment (which is a similar thing but not the same). I don't think they really planned for the amount of traffic the new network is getting, between HD streaming and hardcore downloaders some customers really use a lot of bandwidth. However I must disagree slightly, while Chorus certainly aren't to blame for the ISP backhaul speeds they totally can be at fault if it's oversubscribed on their Equipment which might be the case at some locations.

However so far for me touch wood it's been excellent. I am with Spark on the 100/20 plan and I get 100M + almost every time. The other day I was frustrated with how slow Doom was updating when I installed it so I loaded up task manager and checked the Network speeds - it was varying a little 98-103 Mbps. No complaints there. It sat as an almost straight line for just over 30 mins getting that update.

Chilling_Silence
22-05-2016, 01:33 AM
Chorus had some issues for about 2-3 weeks when Netflix was launched a little over 12 months ago. Anything that's VDSL2 or UFB that's having problems is almost certainly your ISP. ADSL, it's possible some older cabinet gear, especially semi rural, is oversubscribed by Chorus, but it's the exception and not the rule.

I run a small ISP. When you sign up for 100mbps that's what you get. It costs and it's not cheap, but that's the second biggest cost after paying Chorus (~50%+ of your monthly bill amount goes to them).

ianhnz
23-05-2016, 06:18 PM
How old is your Laptop/make /model etc? ,can you get someone else to try their Laptop to see if you get the same results

I suspect this is where the problem lies,think of Broadband as fuel and your Laptop as a car a newer car is always better for power and efficiency than something older

My HP lappy I bought last may and had update to win 10 and a clean install, not upgrade.

myCompare
03-07-2016, 01:42 PM
Thanks Speedy.
Okay understand that, now can anyone suggest a good reliable ISP with good speeds etc?
Think it's trying to hypnotize us, or something.
Goes round and round and round, etc, no connection like...

Hi ianhnz, you should consider looking at some broadband comparison sites that make the decision a lot easier for you and can often save you some money too. Hate to blow our own trumpet (I love it really) but as it's relevant we do compare broadband in NZ, check our site out at https://mycompare.co.nz/compare-broadband-nz
hope it's useful :)

ianhnz
03-07-2016, 03:09 PM
Hi ianhnz, you should consider looking at some broadband comparison sites that make the decision a lot easier for you and can often save you some money too. Hate to blow our own trumpet (I love it really) but as it's relevant we do compare broadband in NZ, check our site out at https://mycompare.co.nz/compare-broadband-nz
hope it's useful :)

Hi ya.
Yes I've used your site, a fewtimesand hoping to get my broadband free for a year...
I've also had interaction with peoples on your Facebook site.
Come September out contract expires and I've been considering a new ISP.
Thanks for being so understanding and I'll let you know what happens.
Ian

Jedsdad
03-07-2016, 03:22 PM
I note you have a Spark UFB service.
Is it buffering when you look at TVNZ news on the web or just from overseas?
Is it buffering only when you are on Wifi or have you tried an Ethernet port to the Modem?

What is the brand of the Modem?
Has it been updated with the latest firmware?

I was with NZPO/Telecom for 50 years mostly in the Transmission and then Data areas.

ianhnz
03-07-2016, 03:34 PM
I note you have a Spark UFB service.
Is it buffering only when you are on Wifi or have you tried an Ethernet port to the Modem?

What is the brand of the Modem?
Has it been updated with the latest firmware?

I was with NZPO/Telecom for 50 years mostly in the Transmission and then Data areas.

50 Years?? I did just over 25 years in the faults department.
The transmission tech's were always the brainy ones.
Anyways our modem is a HG 659b which they use in Dunedin as its a gigabit one.
We been thinking, as been a problem since fiber was put in that it could be a faulty joint?
Telecon said se would have to agree with paying a fee if they send someone out.
Was thinking if we change ISp's hoping they would send someone out that can check our setup.
We have two computers, a desktop and a lappy and both run off the Cat6 Ethernet cables and I also put a Cat6 cable between the modem and the thingee box they installed.
I don't see why we should have to pay????

Jedsdad
03-07-2016, 03:47 PM
What sort of test results when you use the following link?
Note you can also change to different servers?
It may help pinpoint where the problem is?
https://www.nperf.com/en/

ianhnz
03-07-2016, 03:54 PM
What sort of test results when you use the following link?
Note you can also change to different servers?
It may help pinpoint where the problem is?
https://www.nperf.com/en/

I use speedtest.net and get the mid to hight nineties but this site https://www.nperf.com/en/r/58769817-h3g61qrK
is quite different???

Jedsdad
03-07-2016, 04:02 PM
I see then if you get the high nineties than I would think your connection is ok to Spark.
However I understand that using speedtest.net tests can be misleading so that is why I said try that one.
Also it pays to try different servers on either test using both local and overseas ones.

Also what firmware are uou running on the HG659b?
I was having some problem with my wifi dropping out occasionally but have now upgraded the firmware, time will tell I guess if it has fixed my problem, so far so goo at least my wife is not complaining LOL
This is the link for the firmware update, very easy to do.
https://www.spark.co.nz/help/internet-data/equipment/huawei/hg659-gateway/update-modem-firmware-huawei-hg659/
https://www.spark.co.nz/help/internet-data/equipment/huawei/hg659-gateway/update-modem-firmware-huawei-hg659/

Jedsdad
03-07-2016, 04:09 PM
Of course it always pays to do any testing when the buffering is actually occurring

ianhnz
03-07-2016, 04:17 PM
I see then if you get the high nineties than I would think your connection is ok to Spark.
However I understand that using speedtest.net tests can be misleading so that is why I said try that one.
Also it pays to try different servers on either test using both local and overseas ones.

Also what firmware are uou running on the HG659b?
I was having some problem with my wifi dropping out occasionally but have now upgraded the firmware, time will tell I guess if it has fixed my problem, so far so goo at least my wife is not complaining LOL
This is the link for the firmware update, very easy to do.

I'm not really sure, about the firmware, so you mean this:-
Software version: V100R001C227B020?

Jedsdad
03-07-2016, 04:26 PM
Thats it you should find it in the modem when you log into it
Under Maintain/System Information

Jedsdad
03-07-2016, 04:30 PM
I am a little surpried then if all the tests are ok that uou are getting buffering when streaming as the Truenet results for Spark are very good both locally and from overseas even in the evening.

The latest results are from May
https://truenet.nz/story/2016/06/may-2016-urban-broadband-report

Jedsdad
03-07-2016, 04:52 PM
The next question is where are you streaming from that you are having the buffering issue?

Jedsdad
03-07-2016, 04:58 PM
Where were you streaming from when you were getting buffering?

ianhnz
03-07-2016, 05:06 PM
From various sites, Youtube, http://thewatchseries.to and others I cant recall, but many sites

ianhnz
03-07-2016, 05:08 PM
Using speedtest.net, normally in mid to high nineties, so speed is not the issue.
I'm unsure what it is.
Watching http://sidroth.org/its-supernatural-network at the moment and lip synic not there and stops and starts...

Jedsdad
03-07-2016, 05:53 PM
What browser are you using and what Flash Player version
You can right click on the stram and check the various settings.

Also this is what they have on their website
The Player is designed to deliver the highest quality experience for live and on demand video.

The player will provide you the highest stream possible based on your available bandwidth, CPU, Flash version, and device. If you are seeing less than ideal quality, please check your environment against these minimum requirements.

Note: These configurations undergo regular testing with each release. Other environments (e.g., Linux or Chrome beta channels) might work, but are not actively tested.

Windows

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent with 1 GHz processor.
Operating System: Windows XP (Home, Media Center and Professional with Service Pack 3 and all Microsoft Updates), Windows Vista (Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate or Enterprise editions with Vista Service Pack 2), Windows 7 with all available updates, or Windows 8 with all available updates. RAM: 512 MB minimum (1 GB recommended).
Video Card: 32 MB minimum (128 MB recommended).
Browser: Internet Explorer (version 7 or later), Mozilla Firefox (version 13 or later), or Chrome (version 16 or later). Flash:
For Real Time Messaging Protocol (RTMP) playback: 10.0 or higher (10.1 or later recommended).
For HTTP Dynamic Streaming (HDS) playback: 10.1.0 or higher.
Screen Resolution: 800 x 600 minimum (1280 x 1024 or greater recommended).
Internet Connection: Broadband/High Speed (DSL, Cable, T1, etc.). Dial-up connections are insufficient for video playback.
Playback Type: Flash with HTML5 fallback.
Note: For Windows 8, the playback type is HTML5 or Flash in Metro Mode if website is whitelisted. If the website is not whitelisted, Flash is used in Classic mode. Internet Explorer 9 or later does not support true fullscreen mode in JavaScript.

ianhnz
03-07-2016, 06:45 PM
We use Chrome on both computers.
Re Flash, I have no idea, but I guess it wiuld have been updated??
You also said, "You can right click on the stram and check the various settings." but I don't know what that means.
Sorry :)

Jedsdad
03-07-2016, 09:07 PM
Ok,
Can you first check the Adobe Flash Player is up to date using this link
http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
You should be able to update from there if not

If ok can you try another browser to see if you have the same problem

Can you also ensure that Chrome is up to date by clicking on the 3 parallel lines in top right of Chrome, then click "Help" then "About Google Chrome"
This will update Chrome if required

ianhnz
03-07-2016, 09:26 PM
Ok,
Can you first check the Adobe Flash Player is up to date using this link
http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
You should be able to update from there if not

If ok can you try another browser to see if you have the same problem

Can you also ensure that Chrome is up to date by clicking on the 3 parallel lines in top right of Chrome, then click "Help" then "About Google Chrome"
This will update Chrome if required

I have version 22,0,0,192 installed, plus I use, Ice Dragon, Microsoft Edge, latest Firefox and Chrome.
I think I have that covered.

dugimodo
04-07-2016, 08:06 AM
Speed test defaults to local servers near you, try changing it to test to some America to make sure it's ok. it's possible your isp doesn't pay for enough international bandwidth to cope with peak demands. Or test youtube early in the morning to see if it's better.

ianhnz
04-07-2016, 08:51 AM
Speed test defaults to local servers near you, try changing it to test to some America to make sure it's ok. it's possible your isp doesn't pay for enough international bandwidth to cope with peak demands. Or test youtube early in the morning to see if it's better.

Ok using Speedtest.net with Microsoft Edge to Hamilton was 94 down 23 up.
Then went to

4/7/2016 07:50 NZST
0.96 Mb/s
0.11 Mb/s
1692 ms
Norilsk
~ 13750 km
Share (http://www.speedtest.net/results.php#?w=300)
Share Link: Share Elsewhere:

Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/dialog/feed?app_id=581657151866321&link=http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5450419920&description=This%20is%20my%20Speedtest.net%20resul t.%20Compare%20your%20speed%20to%20mine!&redirect_uri=http://www.speedtest.net&name=Check%20out%20my%20Speedtest.net%20Result.%20 What%27s%20Yours%3F)
Twitter (https://twitter.com/share?text=Check%20out%20my%20Speedtest.net%20resu lt!%20What%27s%20your%20speed%3F&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.speedtest.net%2Fmy-result%2F5450419920&related=ookla%3ACreators%20of%20Speedtest.net&hashtags=speedtest)
LinkedIn (http://www.linkedin.com/shareArticle?mini=true&url=http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5450419920&title=Check%20out%20my%20result%20from%20Ookla%20S peedtest!&summary=Check%20out%20my%20result%20from%20Ookla%2 0Speedtest!&source=Speedtest.net)
Pinterest (http://pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url=http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5450419920&media=http://www.speedtest.net/result/5450419920.png&description=Check%20out%20my%20result%20from%20Ook la%20Speedtest!)
Reddit (http://reddit.com/submit?url=http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5450419920&title=Check%20out%20my%20result%20from%20Ookla%20S peedtest!)
Email (?subject=Check%20Out%20My%20Speedtest.net%20Conne ction%20Speed!&body=This%20is%20my%20Speedtest.net%20connection%2 0speed.%20You%20should%20take%20a%20test%20too!%0A %0Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.speedtest.net%2Fmy-result%2F5450419920%3Futm_source%3Dshare-page%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dsharev1 )

Delete Row

4/7/2016 07:45 NZST
93.97 Mb/s
22.78 Mb/s
10 ms
Hamilton
~ 100 km
Share (http://www.speedtest.net/results.php#?w=300)

Jedsdad
04-07-2016, 09:29 AM
That site is in Russia. How did you get onto that one?
Also notice the latency extremely high far more than I would expect even from Russia
I just tried it myself and got 1056 ms
Also I note the download speed is terrible.
You want to try something in the USA like in New York

Jedsdad
04-07-2016, 09:37 AM
I just tried to Boston MA in USA and get 14Mbps download, I am on a VPN as my ISP is lousy from there (Compass Communications)

dugimodo
04-07-2016, 09:54 AM
Try it without the VPN, it's entirely possible that's what's causing youtube to buffer.
You have demonstrated what I was getting at anyway, your speeds to Boston and Russia are nothing like the local test would suggest and that's either due to your ISP or the VPN most probably.
Spark are usually fairly good with the available bandwidth though, my previous posts about the speeds I get show that.

When I test to Hamilton I get 103 down and 30 up, to Oz I generally get 80-90 and to the US 70-85 but it varies depending on the time of day and sometimes I get my full 100 down.

Trans techs the brainy ones? Lol, that's my background as well and I'm not sure that's true. 20 years as a trans installation tech and the last 10 sitting at a desk masquerading as a designer.
I always thought the radio techs were the smart ones (and a bit odd :p), they actually had to do hands on circuit repairs and the like much more than any of the other branches of the industry.

ianhnz
04-07-2016, 09:55 AM
That site is in Russia. How did you get onto that one?
Also notice the latency extremely high far more than I would expect even from Russia
I just tried it myself and got 1056 ms
Also I note the download speed is terrible.
You want to try something in the USA like in New York

I did try, but wasn't able to move east only straight up.
I'll try again latter and see if I can

Jedsdad
04-07-2016, 10:20 AM
I also used to work in the National Transmission Repair centre in Auckland as well.
We used to repair right down to component level even opening Fujitsu filters out of Fujitsu Channel Cards etc.

ianhnz
04-07-2016, 10:28 AM
I did try, but wasn't able to move east only straight up.
I'll try again latter and see if I can

Still cant go East so tried Perth.
I received ping 80, D/L is 61 and upload is 12
So tied Hamilton, ping 11 D/ 74 and up is 22.
All very slow today....

Jedsdad
04-07-2016, 01:45 PM
What did you expect to get?
Why do you say all very slow today?
Those figures are pretty good and you will never get your full connection speed anyway.
At what time of the day or night do you get the buffering?
On the Supernatural site they use a Content Delivery Network Akimai in the USA Massachusetts.
On the other URL they just provide links from other sources from a server in I think Tonga so they can be anywhere. Note the .to is Tonga