PDA

View Full Version : Strange Word mailmerge problem

Tony
13-05-2016, 01:03 PM
I'm trying to do a mail merge in Word, with an Access table as the source and emails as the final result. All goes well until the final step "Finish and Merge", where I choose "send email messages". This throws up a dialog box (see image 1) where I can choose the output format. If I choose "HTML" all goes well. If I choose "Plain text" or "attachment" then I get another dialog (see image 2) warning that something is trying to access my Outlook contacts - which of course shouldn't be the case. If I allow it, everything just goes into a loop and nothing happens till I stop the task.

The process is definitely using the Access table to get the other data it needs.

This behaviour happens on two different PCs, with Word 2010 and Word 2016.

Am I missing something obvious? Has anyone else tried this and succeeded?

7206 7207

13-05-2016, 01:54 PM
http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=52
That may not be of much help though (Ive seen this with programs trying to access Outlook)
Its a security 'feature' , and looks like its a common issue .

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/980681

Tony
13-05-2016, 03:07 PM
Thanks for that. Alas MS giveth and MS taketh away. The description looks exactly like what I am experiencing, but when I try to apply the hotfix it says it is not applicable to my computer, even though My OS and version of Word is exactly what is described in the article. Interestingly though I am experiencing the same thing on a Win10 machine running Office 2016, so may it isn't exactly the right problem [sigh]. Somehow or other MS seem to manage to make everything difficult even when they appear to be trying to help.

Tony
13-05-2016, 10:36 PM
OK, I seem to have found the answer. After a long and totally fruitless online chat with the MS helpline I found by accident that when you click "allow" from the dialog in the second image, you get a progress bar that fills up, and the spinning circle. Everything appears to have hung up. If you then click allow again it goes off and works. Totally counter-intuitive.