PDA

View Full Version : Router/Chromecast connection issues

Mike
12-05-2016, 06:25 PM
We've had a Chromecast (1st generation) attached to our TV and connecting no problem with our router for a few years with no problems. About 6 weeks ago it started to disconnect/reconnect from wifi every few minutes which makes the video stutter for a few seconds which can be really annoying.

Initially I thought it was the Chromecast dying, but today I've had to buy a new (2nd gen) one (since the kids broke the old one) and found that the new one is doing exactly the same thing. I'm guessing there's something going on with the wifi router, but not sure what or how to fix.

Router is an Asus RT-N56U, which hasn't given us any other issues. The 1st gen Chromecast was connected over 2.4Ghz, the new one is 5Ghz. All other wireless devices in the house (6 or 7 of them) have no noticeable issues.

Any suggestions on what might be the problem and how to fix it?

Cheers,
Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2016, 08:01 PM
Update the firmware on the router. If Version 3.0.0.4.376.3879 isnt on it. There is a later update but it's beta.

See if it makes a diff

dugimodo
12-05-2016, 08:36 PM
Check how hot the router is getting, they can overheat. Might be a good Idea to see if you can borrow one from someone to see if it helps.
I've had a lot of routers fail on me even well regarded models so I don't have much faith in them. Improved the stability of mine a lot by adding a home made cooler to it.

Mike
12-05-2016, 08:49 PM
Update the firmware on the router. If Version 3.0.0.4.376.3879 isnt on it. There is a later update but it's beta.

See if it makes a diff

Firmware is 3.0.0.4.378_4850... I wonder if it's got the wrong one on it?

Cheers,
Mike.

Mike
12-05-2016, 08:51 PM
Check how hot the router is getting, they can overheat. Might be a good Idea to see if you can borrow one from someone to see if it helps.
I've had a lot of routers fail on me even well regarded models so I don't have much faith in them. Improved the stability of mine a lot by adding a home made cooler to it.

It's warm, but not even close to being hot. All previous routers I've had in the past have always run much hotter than this one. I'll see if I can find one to borrow to test.

Cheers,
Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2016, 08:57 PM
Thats the latest by the looks of it, but it's also a beta, which can be buggy

Mike
13-05-2016, 12:59 PM
Oh right, I'll try updating back to the earlier stable release. I do remember updating it a while back, it might coincide with the Chromecast issues (although it feels like it was longer ago that I updated). Will give it a go after work.

Cheers,
Mike.

Mike
13-05-2016, 09:57 PM

That did it! Thanks Speedy. Went back to the previous (stable) firmware and the issues seem to be gone :) Many thanks

Cheers,
Mike.