PDA

View Full Version : Missing operating system

micky
12-05-2016, 08:41 AM
Missing operating system

My Son's Asus A53S laptop has just yesterday come up with Missing operating system, I think it has automatically upgraded to windows 10 from seven and is now missing the boot sequence as it must have an Asus partition there for restoring win 7.

And no it was not backed up unfortunately!

So whats the best way to restore it back to win 7 as its his business PC.

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2016, 09:04 AM
Check the BIOS and make sure the hdd is the bootdisk. And remove anything if it's plugged into a USB port (like a flash drive)

psycik
12-05-2016, 09:27 AM
Check the BIOS and make sure the hdd is the bootdisk. And remove anything if it's plugged into a USB port (like a flash drive)

Yeah the plugged in usb stick or hdd seems to trip up a few people

micky
12-05-2016, 01:21 PM
Hi I have looked in the bios everthing seems to be in order. Removed hdd tried to look from another pc and its telling me I have to reformat drive?

Also tried repair with win 7 disc no go

My other alternative I can restore from the Asus laptop but will lose all files

Is there an alternative?

wainuitech
12-05-2016, 01:44 PM
Hi I have looked in the bios everthing seems to be in order. Removed hdd tried to look from another pc and its telling me I have to reformat drive?

My other alternative I can restore from the Asus laptop but will lose all files

Is there an alternative?

What are you trying to read the drive from ?

You really need to look at it with partition software to see if theres anything on the drive. Could simply be a messed up boot.

For example if you had something like AOMEI partition Assisant you may see similar to this:

The Second Drive in that Pic is a screwed up W8 due to bad sectors, but it shows all the partitions etc.

"IF" the drive is showing as empty then basically anything you do will be a fresh install anyway, as all the data would be gone, unless you did a data recovery on the drive.

micky
12-05-2016, 02:37 PM
Enclosed 640 GB

wainuitech
12-05-2016, 04:22 PM
Enclosed 640 GB Oh Dear:( ---- you'll need to do a data recovery on the G Drive if you want any data back, for some reason its been wiped by the looks.

What you can try, it may or may not work, is, (mine is the pro version -- cant remember if the std has this option) click on the drive, see is partition recovery option is there, if it is run it.

12-05-2016, 05:16 PM
Oh Dear:( ---- you'll need to do a data recovery on the G Drive if you want any data back, for some reason its been wiped by the looks.

G: is only 148G , may not be the Win partition ? given H is 640G
Who knows where there data was with that setup.
Thats one piss up of a partitioning right there. As usual on some laptops

Laptop manufacturers sometimes use non standard Win partitioning , in non standard order . And sometimes non standard bootloaders.
All just asking for issues .:badpc:
It could be that a win10 ug just couldnt cope with that drunkard partitioning ? Boot partition seems to be in the middle, rather than 1st

micky
12-05-2016, 05:16 PM
I can see the G: which is formatted When I click on it Advanced options Set active partition greyed out! check partition OK do I click this ? I have the Pro version also

wainuitech
12-05-2016, 05:41 PM
G: is only 148G , may not be the Win partition ? given H is 640G
G @ 148GB will more than likely be the OS partition, if you look at the Data partition H that's 425GB The F is recovery @ 21GB ( which is about right) and the other smaller partition cant see it fully but may be 4GB so adding up 425+148+21+4 = 598GB which is roughly what a 640GB drive would show.On the far left it says Disk3 596GB = 640GB drive.

Suggest you install something like RECUVA (https://www.piriform.com/recuva) on the working Computer- Point it at the unformatted partition, set it to do a deep scan -- May take several hours (last drive I did took just under 26 Hours) :sleep But that was a 1TB Hard Drive. You'll only be scanning 148GB on one partition. See what it finds.

Some of the manufactures really do have strange partitioning -- HP's are the worst :waughh:

micky
20-05-2016, 04:35 PM
My son took the 640gb hhd to computer guy whom has managed to retrieve the files which are about 4 folders, which are mixed up and I will trawl through them to try and get necessary files photo's, documents and video's. I bought a 1TB portable hdd for him to copy the folders!.

So which would be the best way to reinstall windows? Go for the Asus option of just refitting hdd into laptop and reformat to windows 7 with the 3 partitions and then upgrade to win 10. Or just to fresh install of win 10 via usb on original 640gb hdd or a fresh install of 7 or 10 with just one partition which would be easier to access externally.

wainuitech
20-05-2016, 04:57 PM
Fresh install W10, using Windows 7 Key, OR if Windows 10 did previously install, then install W10 and when prompted for the key, select either skip or I don't have a key, since if W10 was previously installed it should automatically activate. Just make sure you select the correct version you previously had ( home or Professional) when you get the option.

Once installed then if you want to partition, then go ahead, but keep in mind, partitions used for backups aren't really safe, WHEN the drive fails, guess where the backups are ;) on the failed drive.

BUT before you do anything - attach the old HDD to another PC either by an external enclosure, or SATA cable and run Crystal Disk Info CrystalDiskInfo6_8_2.zip (https://osdn.jp/frs/redir.php?m=aarnet&f=%2Fcrystaldiskinfo%2F65634%2FCrystalDiskInfo6_8_ 2.zip) That's a direct download link - unzip it and check the state of the drive, if its showing with either bad sectors then biff the drive as far as you can throw it. Drives with failed sectors will give nothing but troubles.

Your "computer Guy" if hes any good should have checked the condition of the drive to make sure its OK.

Got 3 customers computers here now, all with various states of failed drives -- two Hitachi's and 1 Seagate :( ALL with boot failures, running a checker over the drives it showed all the failed sectors, so double :( :(

20-05-2016, 05:07 PM
This is the perfect time to install a SSD hard drive .

quoteth ".... as its his business PC. "
even if HD tests show OK, it may have intermittent fault. You need to ask yourself, can I trust that HD. Maybee it was just a Win10 upgrade hickup ? maybee not.
So buy a new SSD, or $100ish on a new old school HD for it.
Or just risk it & hope it doesnt happen again. :)