PDA

View Full Version : 3 screen resolutions available to me using W10: all too big

kioti
08-05-2016, 04:23 PM
Hi. Have another one here. Am using W10 as the W7X64 Ultimate on another HDD is playing funny and it seems only a clean slate reinstal all is on the cards. Monitor used is HP v216 Wide LCD Monitor 21.6inch 1680x1050 factory set resolution
Problem I am having is that the screen resolutions available to me are 1024x768 (recommended)....1152x844 & 1280x1024. The recommended setting has massive desktop shortcut icons, open a Browser (FFox) and I cannot see a full screen...have to use vertical/horizontal scrolling. Click to make screen smaller and still have to do the scrolling. Changing Screen Res to either of the other two options gives me elongated windows and ellipses instead of circles. I am not sure what settings I have in the W7 drive but I think it is 1280x1024 or higher and it is perfect. I tried googling for info on getting it sorted out but the vids and offered fixes from W10 forums and How to do it pages show monitors giving a mass of options to choose from. Maybe this Monitor I have just doesn't cut it for W10's needs...wondering if I need a 60inch widescreen capable of displaying 4K to use this W10 and see things onscreen full page.
This W10 that is installed isn't from W10 upgrade....I downloaded W10 and made a DVD using Media Creation Tool...... lo and behold I have the Activate Windows prompt watermark. Well I went to Settings to do the activation.....used the key I got from use of Showkey plus app, entered that and it was a no go.....why I don't know...this is the same computer as the one that W10 was installed to a few months back so its in MS records.....and from what i read, all the keys for upgrade are the same worldwide...like a MS Global OEM

Top it off, I am now getting the GWX prompts to upgrade the W7 OS on another HDD to W10. Wow!! MS going to upgrade all my pre-10 OS's to 10 and them tell me that none are Activated?
Anyway, that's not the problem/query.....any ideas on getting the resolution as it should be: ie...fullscreen webpage with taskbar below and the tabs open bar at top?
Thanks

pcuser42
08-05-2016, 07:01 PM
Make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date.

wuppo
08-05-2016, 07:20 PM
Max resolution of 1280 x 1024 sounds like you may not have a specific graphics driver for your graphics installed and are operating on the MS default video driver. Sometimes Win10 doesn't install / can't find a driver if the graphics card is not recent.

kioti
09-05-2016, 02:59 PM
@pcuser and wuppo
yep graphic drivers and graphics card. I don't have a independent graphics card..I posted on that months ago. Computer will not run a PCIe card at all. Think its failed in Chipset either north or southbridge. So I am running this monitor using mobo onboard 'MS Basic Display Adapter' which is shown in W7 Dev Manager as being 'Ati Radeon 2100'. So that will be the reason for there only being the 3 options I can choose from. I looked at Scaling but it is at 100% and only gets bigger after that....no option below 100%. I bought another Gigabyte Mobo and 8GB DDR3 1600 which I have in another computer I constructed. It is running the Palit Graphics card I have but I only use that for gaming,,,on W7x64 Pro.
thanks for the replies...there was a wee voice in my head said its because I am running onboard graphics that I do not have more options....but thing is...in this computer on another hard drive I have W7 X64 Ultimate I can run that has the same driver as the W10 and it runs well: I have the resolution that I want. Using W10 Dev Manager I got the driver details (PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_796E&SUBSYS_D0001458&REV_00) and did a search using devid.info to see what it is, and it is the same as what is in the W7 I have, ( it would have to be because I haven't installed graphic drivers for W10)...so one would expect it to function the same in W10 as it does in W7....obviously there are other factors at work.
Thanks
kioti

Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2........AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz.....Adata 4GB DDR2 800MHz....ColerMaster 650W PSU....Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Seagate Barracuda 1TB + WD Elements 107c 4TB External