PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I am forced to instal W10 upgrade

kioti
07-05-2016, 05:47 PM
Hi. I'm running W7x64 Ultimate SP1. I now have an update to be installed and it is the W10 Upgrade. I do not want to have W10. I have it on another harddrive.
Sitting on the Shut Down tab is the Update Icon. I have gone into Windows Updates and there is no way I can see to stop this upgrade to W10: W10 is going to be installed whether I want it or not if I click to Shut Down my computer. Only thing I can do is cold kill my computer with the Power button or the switch on computer PSU.
Anyone know of another option I can use to get around this forced W10 instal to my computer?
I had Windows Updates set to 'Download updates but let me choose whether to instal them'...it appears that I am being over-ridden by MS.
Thanks in advance.

Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2..AMD Athlon II X64 630...4GB Dual Channel DDR2 800MHz..Onboard Graphics: ATI Radeon 2100 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) Cooler Master 650W PSU

feersumendjinn
07-05-2016, 09:24 PM
Try this
http://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-gwx-control-panel-block-upgrading-windows-10
You could also go into Windows Updates, right click the w10 update and hide it (not sure if this will help but worth a try).

kioti
07-05-2016, 09:42 PM
Hi. I'm running W7x64 Ultimate SP1. I now have an update to be installed and it is the W10 Upgrade. I do not want to have W10. I have it on another harddrive.
Sitting on the Shut Down tab is the Update Icon. I have gone into Windows Updates and there is no way I can see to stop this upgrade to W10: W10 is going to be installed whether I want it or not if I click to Shut Down my computer. Only thing I can do is cold kill my computer with the Power button or the switch on computer PSU.
Anyone know of another option I can use to get around this forced W10 instal to my computer?
I had Windows Updates set to 'Download updates but let me choose whether to instal them'...it appears that I am being over-ridden by MS.
Thanks in advance.

Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2..AMD Athlon II X64 630...4GB Dual Channel DDR2 800MHz..Onboard Graphics: ATI Radeon 2100 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) Cooler Master 650W PSU

Sorted it out. As only the Upgrade to W10 was showing I clicked "Show availabe updates and there were 63 Important updates and in 'Optional Updates' was the W10 upgrade/Update ticked so I unticked it. Think I will find and remove the GWX...using this method here: http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-7-to-10-gwx-how-to-remove.html

kioti
07-05-2016, 09:52 PM
@feersumendjinn
thanks for your reply. I have just used another method to remove GWX, however I will download/save the GWX Contril Panel app/tool that you have suggested: Having read the webpage it would seem to be an easier to use option than the one I did use.

lakewoodlady
07-05-2016, 10:10 PM
I have used the GWX Control Panel to successfully remove the files for Windows 10 upgrade, several times. But you need to change the way Windows gives you updates, to "Notify me when updates are available, but let me choose whether to download and install them".
Also, untick the box that says "Give me recommended updates the same way as I receive Important ones"

Cheers, LL

lakewoodlady
08-05-2016, 11:07 AM
If it does install, and you don't like it, you should be able to roll it back to previous OS. PC Settings > Update and Recovery > Recovery.
You will only be able to do this in the time frame of one month. After that, MS will remove the files for the previous OS.

Cheers and good luck, LL

wainuitech
08-05-2016, 11:18 AM
I have used the GWX Control Panel to successfully remove the files for Windows 10 upgrade, several times. But you need to change the way Windows gives you updates, to "Notify me when updates are available, but let me choose whether to download and install them".
Also, untick the box that says "Give me recommended updates the same way as I receive Important ones"

Cheers, LL

That's the long way of doing it :D

Theres a far quicker, and you don't need GWX either. I haven't mentioned it before because some seem to like GWX.

I did it on my office PC simply because I have programs that I cant get again, and it has some corruptions that will cause problems during an upgrade, anyway its going on 8 years old so in the process of building another. No sign of the W10 upgrade. Its the only 1 PC here that's got the old OS still.

Re the rollback-- Keep in mind sometimes that doesn't work either, seen it where it gets part way through and stops, wont roll back at all or in some cases the rollback is very unstable, programs don't work and all sorts of other problems can appear.

Bryan
08-05-2016, 11:22 AM
So, don't leave us in suspense! How do you do it?

wainuitech
08-05-2016, 12:50 PM
So, don't leave us in suspense! How do you do it? Its simple google search, theres always someone who has found a working result-- but here it is.

Easy way is to make a .reg file you can then if you want to put it on others computers,carry it with you on a USB drive -- then all you do is double click it, or right click /Merge - agree a couple of times - DONE, no programs to install or work through and easy to reverse.

A simple reg alteration: ( reg file contents)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\Gwx]
"DisableGwx"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\WindowsUpdate]
"DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
"AllowOSUpgrade"=dword:00000000
"ReservationsAllowed"=dword:00000000

Or if lazy download link DisableWindowsUpgrade.reg (https://www.itechtics.com/wp-content/uploads/files/Disable%20Windows%2010%20Upgrade.reg)

If you reverse the actions you'll be prompted for upgrading again.

Just reversed on my W7 to show - Eset Smart Security stopped it a few minutes later.

Edited: By ONLY stopping the W10 upgrade you can still receive any other updates, Security, Office etc.

SIMPLE EH !! :D

lakewoodlady
08-05-2016, 02:46 PM
Thank you WT! So this can be applied in the following situations? When the win 10 icon is on the task bar, and after the win 10 upgrade files are already installed?

LL

wainuitech
08-05-2016, 03:08 PM
Thank you WT! So this can be applied in the following situations? When the win 10 icon is on the task bar, and after the win 10 upgrade files are already installed?

LL How it works, if you have a look at the contents of the reg file and what it alters.

In the reg, the last numbers, 1 means active to 0 means not active.

"DisableGwx"=dword:00000001 = disables GWX.

"DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001 = Disables the upgrade option

"AllowOSUpgrade"=dword:00000000 ----Allow the OS -- since its 0 it means its NOT active

You have to look CAREFULLY at what the wording is actually saying, this one look similar, DisableOSUpgrade = 00000001

That ones saying disable upgrade - so 1 means its active.

This works if you have a computer that hasn't upgraded yet, or one that's rolled back. If the download is already done and waiting to install, not to sure, I did try to stop it once, kind of worked, but did cause problems.

By ONLY disabling the upgrade to W10 the rest of other updates can still be downloaded.

kioti
08-05-2016, 03:37 PM
@feersumendjinn..... I did the Hide the W10 update after I got it discovered. Thanks

kioti
08-05-2016, 03:45 PM
@wainuitech
thanks for that regedit fix. I will use it. The one that I posted link to that I used didn't do anything. This W10 upgrade is the 2nd time I have had it for current computer. The first time I rolled back to W7 x64 Ultimate...and that started playing up a few weeks later...freeze-ups blah blah. So I fresh installedW7. Now that has developed many problems and its going to be a fresh instal all

kioti
08-05-2016, 03:47 PM
@lakewoodlady
Thanks for that info

kioti
08-05-2016, 03:53 PM
@lakewoodlady
been there done that: installed it maybe 6 month ago as an upgrade over W7X64 Ultimate....rolled it back to W7 within a couple of hours. I didn't know that one only had a month to do the roll back or MS will remove files for previous OS (W7) well well well is not that at all.....there is something in my computers' System that has powers to decimate my Empire.
Thanks

lakewoodlady
08-05-2016, 04:52 PM
How it works, if you have a look at the contents of the reg file and what it alters.

In the reg, the last numbers, 1 means active to 0 means not active.

"DisableGwx"=dword:00000001 = disables GWX.

"DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001 = Disables the upgrade option

"AllowOSUpgrade"=dword:00000000 ----Allow the OS -- since its 0 it means its NOT active

You have to look CAREFULLY at what the wording is actually saying, this one look similar, DisableOSUpgrade = 00000001

That ones saying disable upgrade - so 1 means its active.

This works if you have a computer that hasn't upgraded yet, or one that's rolled back. If the download is already done and waiting to install, not to sure, I did try to stop it once, kind of worked, but did cause problems.

By ONLY disabling the upgrade to W10 the rest of other updates can still be downloaded.

Thats great WT, what would we do without you! (Maybe upskill our Googling somewhat?) :D

wainuitech
08-05-2016, 06:21 PM
Thats great WT, what would we do without you! (Maybe upskill our Googling somewhat?) :D :lol: As I've always said, NO ONE knows everything.

Google is a great source, but you have to cut through all the "maybe's" and rubbish, and locate what actually works (and the easiest if possible.) Try it, and then you know yourself if something works or not :)

lakewoodlady
08-05-2016, 08:07 PM
I love you WT, can I please marry your brain? :wub

LL

wainuitech
08-05-2016, 08:18 PM
I love you WT, can I please marry your brain? :wub

LL :eek: SWMBO might say something about that ;)

Anyway, right at the moment its not to clear, its been drink o'clock after washing the cars / Mid afternoon ever since SWMBO suddenly found internet TV on the media centre ---- Watch one damn program, and now tonight its the whole series LOL. (must admit its interesting).

Shes also discovered that W10 has a App on the Microsoft Store that allows you to play movies, some free, some paid. Some really recent as well 2016 release.

flashman
08-05-2016, 08:37 PM
For those who don't want to install the Windows 10 upgrade, have a look at the link below

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Lawrence
08-05-2016, 09:04 PM
Saw never10 on majorgeeks this morning

Another option among many from Steve Gibson

http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/new_video_never_10_can_easily_disable_or_enable_th e_windows_10_upgrade.html

wainuitech
08-05-2016, 10:55 PM

http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/new_video_never_10_can_easily_disable_or_enable_th e_windows_10_upgrade.html

Just had a look on Never 10's site, it does the exact same thing as the reg editing file posted previously. All it does is change the reg, and has the option to put it back again.

Never10 manipulates the values and security permission settings of the following two registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\Gwx
Under this key, the 32-bit DWORD value “DisableGwx” is set to 1 or completely deleted.
These will be referred to as the “Gwx” key and the “DisableGwx” value. This key and value control the display of the “Get Windows 10” offer icon in the system tray. When DisableGwx is set to 1, the upgrade offer icon is suppressed.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\WindowsUpdate
Under this key, the 32-bit DWORD value “DisableOSUpgrade” is set to 1 or completely deleted.
These will be referred to as the “WindowsUpdate” key and the “DisableOSUpgrade” value. This key and value control the downloading and installation of any upgrades to Windows. When DisableOSUpgrade is set to 1, any previously downloaded Windows 10 files are deleted and Windows will never attempt to upgrade the current operating system.

When Never10 disables automatic OS upgrading, the following actions are taken:

Under the Gwx key, which will be created if it doesn't yet exist, the 32-bit DWORD value “DisableGwx” is created and set to 1.
Under the WindowsUpdate key, the 32-bit DWORD value “DisableOSUpgrade” is created and set to 1.

Also interesting is the section:

The GWX Control Panel (an early popular solution at 2.4 megabytes) was a useful first step. But it was wrong in too many ways. Its design and operation seemed ill suited to the simple task of preventing upgrades to Windows 10. It was confusing and offered an array of actions, options and status reports, when all anyone really wanted was simply for Windows to not upgrade itself and to leave us alone. Instead, the GWX Control Panel makes itself the center of attention. It needs to be “installed”, is resident and persistent afterward, and it pops up all the time to tell us what a great job it's doing... which is exactly the kind of nonsense most people are fed up with in this era where “your attention” is what commercial interests all want to obtain more of. But more than anything, none of that was necessary . . .

Source (https://www.grc.com/never10/details.htm)

Renegade
08-05-2016, 11:33 PM
^ Stevie must've missed the standalone version of GWX Control Panel (which doesn't nag at all) :D

09-05-2016, 10:47 AM
Never10 : Ive used it on a few PC's.
But there are some reports of never10 not being a permanent fix : ie the 10 ug prompt coming back

The reg fix : originally was 1, then 2, then 3 entries. No wonder it didnt work when I first tried it (single reg entry) :)
there is yet another reg entry, a 64bit reg entry :badpc:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Policies\M icrosoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001

Just so many variables: new PC, pc with 10 files downloaded, PC just with prompt that hasnt been accepted, PC on a domain but used as local used at home

I hate think about the mess that could(will) happen when the free offer expires in July(?) .
After July, users will accidentally click on the ug, get win10 only to find it cant be activated & their shiny new 10 wont be usuable for long .

09-05-2016, 10:48 AM
http://www.infoworld.com/article/3020748/microsoft-windows/how-get-windows-10-sets-its-hooks-into-windows-7-and-81.html

"We found that, although the Registry entries succeed in keeping the most visible part of GWX from appearing -- the Get Windows 10 icon in the system tray -- they do absolutely nothing to keep GWX off of Windows 7 and 8.1 PCs. In fact, the phalanx of programs, settings, scheduled tasks, and automatic Registry-changers continue to work behind the scenes no matter how you jigger those settings"

wainuitech
09-05-2016, 11:14 AM
I hate think about the mess that could(will) happen when the free offer expires in July(?) .
After July, users will accidentally click on the ug, get win10 only to find it cant be activated & their shiny new 10 wont be usuable for long . I suspect there will be some sort of message AFTER its downloaded along the lines of, " Your trial will expire in 30 days" to keep using windows 10 after this time it will cost you $xxx to purchase a license.

The W7 I'm on now, its been blocked by the reg alterations, has been since the reserve a copy first came out, BUT It can be upgraded as W10 has already been on it from another HDD, so If I ever decide to put 10 on it its already registered. :)

kioti
09-05-2016, 02:09 PM
@Lawrence
Thanks. Thats interesting and the Snappy Driver Installer. Will look into it more later today
kioti

B.M.
09-05-2016, 02:55 PM

:thanks Lawrence :thumbs:

mzee
10-05-2016, 02:53 PM
I have never had any nags about W10 update on any of my computers, but then I have Auto updates turned off & set to Manual. They are all now updated to W10 via DVD/ISO & all working well. I have just completed the last one. It had W7 on Ptn1 & W10 on Ptn2, dual booted so that I could continue using it for work. When I had got W10 into shape as I like it, and all software working, I deleted Windows 7, reduced Ptn1 to 500MB to retain the MBR, Loader, then expanded Ptn2 to take up the blank space. Removed the drive letter from Ptn1 to hide it. Works well.

This machine is an old Dell Vostro 1015 which has no W10 support. I managed to use all my W7 drivers by installing them with Device manager direct to the driver folder. If I tried the driver setup it would be rejected. All work well. I first had this problem when W7 was new & I was using XP drivers.