PDA

View Full Version : Just How Old/Bad Is PC Linux?

SurferJoe46
07-05-2016, 04:30 AM
OK - youse guys got me to retire that old 32 bit machine (sniff, sniff) and I fired up another custom built 64 bit Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3600+, WD 500G hdd and I installed PC Linux on it (culture shock x50!) w/1G RAM per processor (not much I know). I don't think I can find any RAM sticks for this system any more either.

I'd put Puppy on this one too, but that seems to wrinkle some feathers here! ;)

There are at this time, a (hdb1) primary and a (hdb5)(hdb6) extended partition on the hdd. I think I did that right anyway.

I've downloaded both Firefox and Chrome and they are a little different - one's a tar.bz2 and the other is a .deb.

OK - problem time: I've got Firefox 2.0.0.1 in it and for the life of me I don't know how to upgrade to a more recent version and I don't get this sudo stuff.

PS: Is PCL too long in the tooth to even use too? I bet youse guys hate me bringing these old dogs to life again - huh?

Kame
07-05-2016, 10:08 AM
PC Linux never recommends updating with "sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get -y upgrade; sudo apt-get install name_of_program", but if you're using command line, that would be the way.

You should use synaptic for installing software and updating, to get other software that may not exist, you need to add repositories to it.

Use your package manager for software.

SurferJoe46
07-05-2016, 10:18 AM
I'd like to find the latest - at least a newer version of Google and GMail and Firefox.

Should they be in the repositories? I use the synaptic search and it can't seem to find them.

wainuitech
07-05-2016, 10:41 AM
Why not just download the Latest version http://www.pclinuxos.com/get-pclinuxos/

SurferJoe46
07-05-2016, 10:43 AM
OK --- I can do that!

I used Win 98SE to clean up that 500g hdd too - worked a champ. I can do that again too.

KarameaDave
07-05-2016, 10:46 AM
Synaptic will have the latest Firefox in there somewhere.
Are you sure that you are viewing all available applications, as opposed to merely those installed?

If the version of PCLinuxOS you installed is a 64bit one, this is a link to the apt repo near here (in Australia)
http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/pclinuxos/pclinuxos/apt/pclinuxos/64bit/RPMS.x86_64/
If you scroll to around a fifth of the way down the page, you will see the Firefox RPM and all its various regional and language variants.

Further down again and you will find google_chrome_stable current x86_64.rpm

You could just download from there and install them.
Although learning to drive Synaptic would be simpler in the end.

Just grabbing random .tar.gz and other packages and attempting to install them on a system
they are not intended for is an almost certain way to wreck your installation.

Instructions on updating PCLinuxOS the correct way.
http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=63199.0

SurferJoe46
07-05-2016, 11:05 AM
Which desktop do you suggest?

Kame
07-05-2016, 11:15 AM
For old systems, use MATE. KDE needs more resources.

SurferJoe46
07-05-2016, 11:40 AM
Thanks. Trying that right now.

SurferJoe46
07-05-2016, 11:53 AM
Can't believe how slow the downloads are. 11 hours for Mate. That can't be right......................

KDE = 5 hours

Full Monty - forget it! 19 hours.

I'm gonna try Mate and just let it run and go cook dinner. Tonight's California Dinner Night. Scallops & Prawns with Fettuccine.

We get a bunch of California expats and I cook a dinner like we used to get there. Montana food is basically steak and potatoes.

wainuitech
07-05-2016, 12:07 PM
Try a different Download location. Just brought through Mate 1.8GB went and made a cuppa, it was coming through between 7-10 MB/sec. 3-4 Minutes. Just tried again US was the slowest.

Agent_24
12-05-2016, 09:56 AM
Which version of PC Linux OS did you install? If it came with Firefox 2 it's probably ancient, and would explain why you can't get a later version, and probably also why your downloads are incredibly slow.

SurferJoe46
12-05-2016, 05:38 PM
I am sorry.... I was in the hospital with a heart problem for a few days and have so catching up to do for a few days.

I'll be up to speed soon. Thanks in advance.

Richard
12-05-2016, 06:59 PM
Not the best thing to have happen Joe. I hope all turns out well for you. Us old guys have some of these episodes from time to time, but so far we keep on bouncing back. Best wishes.

SurferJoe46
13-05-2016, 03:47 AM
Turns out I was receiving too much of, or the wrong meicine.

The metopralol was suppressing my blood pressure and pulse too far and I was losing circulation to my feet and hands. I take-took metopralol for my a-fib, and it was working well for that as an off-label use. But the pressure-pulse effect got to be too powerful and now I'm off it cold turkey.

Whew! The headaches are monsters now ----and for a short while they said, and I can tell you that I have them in bushel baskets since. Headaches that is.

I don't blame the docs, tey were trying to help with a drug I could tolerate, and this did good for a few years. Too bad since the a-fib is back in spades now.

Thanks for the concern.