PDA

View Full Version : .mp3 file problem

R.M.
06-05-2016, 10:29 PM
I have a recorded .mp3 file to work with. I need it to open in Audacity 2.1.2, but it doesn't play in that. It does however, play in Windows Media Player??
What gives? Why does it not open? I CAN fiddle it by putting it through the 'MP3 Toolkit' programme that I downloaded, but what is the problem with Audacity? I'm getting flack for being 'difficult' - now would I do that? :)

Thanks for your comments - always appreciated.

Kame
06-05-2016, 10:58 PM
audacity may need lame and/or ffmpeg installed to understand mp3. How did you record your mp3? It might have something to do with the format.

R.M.
06-05-2016, 11:03 PM
Lame is in it's rightful place. I didn't record it - sent to me by a probably technically challenged judge (not the legal type - competition type). Now that IS judgemental on my part...

Kame
07-05-2016, 12:40 AM
Can Windows Media provide any clues, maybe it is DRM protected. I haven't used Windows in a long time but to get that information, I would use VLC player and view the media codec.

What are you trying to do in audacity with it?

Maybe you can convert it with WM to another format that audacity can use, but there could be some loss.

R.M.
07-05-2016, 10:59 AM
I would use VLC player and view the media codec.

What are you trying to do in audacity with it?

Ah - when I look at it in VLC I find the file is mp4a - not mp3. That explains it. And I can continue to use MP3 Toolkit to convert the file...

I get a file from the judge, then in Audacity cut it up into the individual comments for each photo in the competition, and add some silence while the title plays, cut out the 'rubbish' (my definition!) and then make an AV of the judge's comments playing with the correct photo. Can be a bit time consuming, but not very complicated. But I get a good result (I think!).

Kame
07-05-2016, 11:08 AM
Get the ffmpeg plugin, this should allow you to open this file directly in audacity.

R.M.
07-05-2016, 11:42 AM
I did that too, but 'no go' :(

Kame
07-05-2016, 02:20 PM
I am running out of ideas, did you tell Audacity where the ffmpeg library is, in settings, library you locate the path to it.

The only other option is to use VLC to convert it to format that audacity understands and then work with it.

R.M.
07-05-2016, 02:38 PM
Thanks - I've learnt something. I didn't know that VLC did that (well, I sort of did, but hadn't researched the details). :)

kioti
07-05-2016, 06:48 PM
R.M, hi. I don't use Audacity very much, in fact I don't use it. I have the v2.1.2 and did a test: I converted a MP3 to MP4a with Audio Format AAC ( Advanced Audio Codec) and attempted to im
port it into Audacity. First window said it failed because "Audacity attempted to use FFmpeg to import and audio file but the libraries were not found. To use FFmpeg import go to Preferences>Libraries to download or locate the FFmpeg libraries" so I click OK tab and next window stated: "(directory and song title),.. is an Advanced Audio Codec file. Audacity cannot open this type of file. You need to convert it to a supported audio format, such as WAV or AIFF"
I can only create MP4a that has AAC. I used an app called MediaInfo to get the details of the MP3 and the MP4a files and perhaps you could get it and use it to be able to see exactly what the codec/s and audio format is of uour MP4a file. If it is Media Format AAC then Audacity will not open it and you will have to convert it to another compatible format.
MediaLnfo is free to d'load and use. Simplu Right click the file and click MediaInfo and to will get a window box of all the data about the file. Link is here: https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo
The app I used to convert the file from MP3 to MP4a is called Freemake Audio Converter. There is the option to create a WAV file. Freemake is free download/use. If you get it watch out and untick the 2 offers for 'bundled software' that come up as you instal. Freemake is here: http://www.freemake.com/free_audio_converter/

The MediaInfo window showed this:
General
Complete name : C:\Users\kioti\Desktop\01 - Me And You And A Dog Named Boo.m4a
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Apple audio with iTunes info
Codec ID : M4A
File size : 3.19 MiB
Duration : 2mn 55s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 153 Kbps
Album : Introducing Lobo
Track name : Me And You And A Dog Named Boo