PDA

View Full Version : Good Media Player?

DarkFather
06-05-2016, 06:50 PM
So, I purchased the Von Haus Nano 3.0 media player for streaming content from hard drives through USB. However, it doesn't read the drives I have because apparently they are too big for it to read fro some reason, even if I make two partitions. I bought two WD My Book 4 TB HD's to put all my movies, etc on so I could do this. I essentially wasted 45 bucks on the Nano 3.0 because I can't use the 4 TB drives.

I am sick of having to go from PS3 to PS4 to Xbox 360 to watch things. PS4 wont stream some files that PS3 will and visa versa, and then the PS3 and PS4 wont stream the wmv that Xbox will. "ugh". I just want one that does everything!

I have read many places that the WD TV Live is the best one out there and it does everything. However, the only ones I can find anywhere online are refurbished and I really don't want a refurb one. Does WD no longer make this? It is not on their site anymore. I did find a few new, but for some reason they were 400 dollars and that's ridiculous. I really wanted to get this, but as I said, I can't find any new (unless they are 400+ bucks) only refurbs.

Does anyone know a good media player I can buy for plugging in hard drives through USB to stream movies/content from? I need mp4/mkv/wmv/avi etc streaming as well as ability to do subs (for anime's). I essentially need one that will stream anything I throw at it from my two 4 TB drives. I would to it through my TV (like most people do nowdays) but my Samsung HDTV is almost 7 years old and I got it RIGHT before they added Smart TV's so it can only read pictures and stuff from a USB stick, not movies.

Thanx.

lakewoodlady
06-05-2016, 08:00 PM
Yeah, we'd all like that, but not gonna happen in my lifetime!!!

gary67
06-05-2016, 08:03 PM
A laptop

wainuitech
06-05-2016, 08:26 PM
You wont find it by the name WD TV Live.

Its now called WD -Media Player Example: $187 with remote at Noel Leeming https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/home-entertainment/televisions/media-players/western-digital-wdbpuf0000nbk-aesn-tv-media-player-full-hd-remote/prod132048.html

OR got an Old PC laying about doing Nothing ? Doesn't need a OS, just install Kodi - Theres a Linux based version, its a stand alone media centre called KodiBuntu.

OR you can install it on an OS if you want and runs as a program - Got it installed on my Media centre (running W10 as a base) but the linux version works just as well. You can add in repertories and have access to lots of content on line from all over the world, all different categories. Plays anything I've thrown at it, and plays from one of several sources over the LAN, or directly from the media centre.

lakewoodlady
06-05-2016, 08:44 PM
:lol:

wainuitech
06-05-2016, 09:05 PM
Whats so funny LL ?

dugimodo
07-05-2016, 03:37 AM
What about using a Chromecast and casting from a nearby PC? I hear they are pretty good, don't own one myself.
Personally I have a NUC PC I use for media playback, pricey but the ultimate media player.

CliveM
07-05-2016, 07:36 AM
What about using a Chromecast and casting from a nearby PC? I hear they are pretty good, don't own one myself.

That works well for me. Cheap and easy to set up too.

DarkFather
07-05-2016, 12:40 PM
Thanx all.

I went ahead and got the WD Media Player WDBMBA0000NBK for 60 bucks refurb off Ebay (a seller who has sold many and all positive responses) and will hope it works ok. It is honestly the only thing I can do right now until I build a new PC (mine is 8 yrs old and still on Win XP 64 Pro....long story as to why.). I really need to build a new PC....hopefully in a few months.

I can't do the Chromecast because as I said I want USB streaming, plugging in a hard drive to it, not wif-fi or LAN. Not a fan of wifi streaming anyway, always has issues.

I can't do Kodi because it doesn't support older OS like mine.

I have used Windows Media Player for streaming for years to PS3/PS4 and X360, always works great for the most part. I tried PS3 Media Server, but that doesn't do scanning ahead well and it takes awhile to get movie to stream sometimes. I am just tired of not having ONE thing to stream any file and having to switch between the three depending on the file type. I hope this WD Media Player will do the trick.

Chilling_Silence
08-05-2016, 10:35 AM
Plex.
Works on PS4, Chromecast, some Samsung TVs natively.
Controlled from your phone.
Well worth it for the free app :)

wainuitech
08-05-2016, 11:11 AM
I can't do Kodi because it doesn't support older OS like mine.

Of course it can :) As mentioned there's a version called kodiBuntu - there's both 32 and 64 Bit, its a Linux based install that runs as a stand alone OS/Program.
That's why I asked if you had an old PC to try it from.

If you wanted to play from USB, simply plug in the device.

The WD Live will play from a USB, 4TB is the Max it will see. Its exactly the same, plug in the USB drive and away you go.