PDA

View Full Version : Intel 1151 socket build issues

wratterus
06-05-2016, 04:54 PM
Have done a few builds recently with 1151 sockets, most are fine, but there are a few that there have been some really queer issues with, random freezes, USB issues, artifacts on the screen at random. One of them has had the full parts cannon fired at it, PSU, motherboard, and most recently a CPU and RAM. Unsure if it's going properly yet.

These two pictures are of totally different builds, both with gigabyte boards, one is a Z170 and one a H170, different CPUs. Both using onboard graphics at the time the pics were taken. Has anyone else seen this? What are your thoughts on it?

That is only one part of the issues, but I thought it was pretty odd that two different builds seem to be exhibiting exactly the same issue.

It's rather frustrating and so intermittent that I've just been chasing my tail on it.

Thanks.

BBCmicro
06-05-2016, 05:41 PM
I've used on-CPU graphics a bit (Widi, QuickSync) and not had a problem

It would seem to me the problem is in the on-CPU graphics because CPU or RAM errors would be picked up and cause a halt or serious Event

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2016, 05:44 PM
If windows 10586.218 is on it, it looks like it's full of bugs. I'm using onboard at the mo on this but on a 1150 system. Works fine

Have the BIOs's been updated ?

wratterus
06-05-2016, 06:01 PM
I'm leaning toward CPU issues too. I will be interesting to see - I've just replaced the CPU in one of the problematic builds, so will find out on Monday if the issues are still there or not.

Definitely not software related Speedy, thanks though.

wratterus
13-06-2016, 02:12 PM
Just a bit of an update on this - it appears that Crucial DDR4 PC4-17000 1.2v RAM causes issues with Skylake Intel Hardware, or possibly a combination of that and Gigabyte board - in the end we had 3 PCs exhibiting the mentioned issues, and changing the RAM for Kingston RAM of the same spec seems to have fixed it.

Very odd, and even more odd that I don't seem to be able to find any more record of this around. Maybe I just have bad luck. :badpc:

linw
13-06-2016, 02:58 PM
Not easy with three variables in the mix! Hope it holds with the new RAM.

dugimodo
13-06-2016, 03:30 PM
Makes sense now that you've found it. When I built a sandy bridge machine I had weird issues due to RAM and ended up replacing it with Kingston and have stuck with it ever since, that was corsair I think but had the right specs and was not faulty but just wouldn't work with that board.