PDA

View Full Version : Win Live Mail 2012 reinstall error 0x80040609

WayneMiddy
06-05-2016, 11:20 AM
After upgrade to win 10 no windows live mail plus other issues have reverted back to win7 home.
From what i have read it seem there are left over files from the old program Windows Essentials
Have downloaded and run wlarp.exe from MS with no result.
Not showing up in uninstall or Revouninstaller
Think i need to edit reg files but which ones?
TIA Wayne

wainuitech
06-05-2016, 12:37 PM
Trying to run the uninstaller only from Live mail very often wont work. You need to download the online installer http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/essentials which is wlsetup-web.exe this will also repair Live mail. If it doesn't automatically you can manually set the repair by following below.

If you then want to repair or uninstall Live mail, you go to programs and features, select essentials - Uninstall/Change and work though the options.

Rolling back from W10 to the previous OS OFTEN breaks programs, you are better off fixing any faults ( usually only minor) in W10.

WayneMiddy
06-05-2016, 01:40 PM
Thanks wainuitech, I will have a look and download the online installer

WayneMiddy
06-05-2016, 02:00 PM
wlsetup-web.exe is the downloaded program that comes up with error code. Live mail or windows essentials not showing up in Programs and Features

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2016, 02:27 PM
Looks like MS are going to stop supporting it. So I wouldnt bother reinstalling it.

According to one site as soon as accounts get upgraded in June you wont be able to receive emails that get sent to your outlook.com account, (because this doesnt support the outlook.com synchronisation). It says use the mail app instead

wainuitech
06-05-2016, 02:50 PM
Looks like MS are going to stop supporting it. So I wouldnt bother reinstalling it.

According to one site as soon as accounts get upgraded in June you wont be able to receive emails that get sent to your outlook.com account, (because this doesnt support the outlook.com synchronisation). It says use the mail app instead

Ewwwwwww:eek:

Sneaky buggers, theres more to that as well. ;)

Use the mail app -- Wellllllll guess what,

Windows 7 doesn't have or cant use the mail "App" you need a email client or use web Mail Via a Browser.

Windows 8.1 can but many don't like W8.1

Windows 10 will of course use it, that's one reason for the Change, New OS, new Mail App, new way of doing tasks.

So all those with MS accounts if they decide to stay on W7 they will be SOL.

WayneMiddy
06-05-2016, 03:24 PM
Yes wainuitech i was just thinking that win 7 can't use the mail app. Looks like it a new mail client.
I have installed emClient before is there anything better that's free
Cheers Wayne

06-05-2016, 03:41 PM

Yep, but Outlook.com supports pop3 (for now), so could you get email on WinLiveMail via pop3 ?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-nz/windows/outlook/send-receive-from-app
"Improvements are coming to the Outlook.com web experience but your password, login, and data won't change.
Important: If your account has been upgraded, the information in this article may no longer apply. Go to Welcome to Outlook on the web to learn more. "

following the link...huh ???
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Welcome-to-Outlook-on-the-web-28bac523-cc12-4b52-b13c-4436cd181edc?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

So whats changing, whats supported ,whats happening to old free email a/c's, is pop3 available after the upgrade?....who really knows.
So much for plain language information :badpc:

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Have no idea. I dont use hotmail. Only thing my hotmail email is on, is the Xbox, the Windows phone, and the Windows store.

Because you wont get far without it. If I want to use pop3, I'll use Outlook on this, or whatever the tablet uses