PDA

View Full Version : Partition on HD says it full when it CERTAINLY isnt! Help please

Aporosa
06-05-2016, 09:00 AM
Hi all,

I'm on a small Pacific island (with the challenges of internet etc) trying to sort out my mums Samsung RV511 (Windows 7) laptop.

I created an additional partition using the Disc Manager wizard on this laptop so give an added layer of protection for her data. There is now a "Systems Reserved", a "C:" (operating system) and the one I created ("S:") which is 27GB.

All was nice until I copied about 3GB into the S partition. Then it said the partition was full but clearly is not.

Fault finding I have subsequently completed:

1. Up to date virus protection and scanned. No viruses.
2. Melwarebytes run, 104 threats removed, computer rebooted.
3. Partition deleted and recreated.

Issues happened again.

Can someone assist please using language for someone who is computer illiterate.

Thanks heaps, Apo

pctek
06-05-2016, 09:04 AM
Got a screenshot? You sure it's 27GB and not 2.7GB?

Aporosa
06-05-2016, 09:12 AM
Thanks for your reply. Screen shot attached...

Kame
06-05-2016, 09:24 AM
You have not formatted it with a file system. Either format as NTFS or FAT32, then you can make use of the space.

Lawrence
06-05-2016, 09:25 AM
Shows it's still not allocated unless you have done it since the screen shot

wainuitech
06-05-2016, 09:25 AM
That screen shot shows the 27GB ( or as it reads 26.4) is unallocated, which means its blank, there is no partition, any data that was in that partition will be gone if it were created previously. You need to create a partition in the unallocated space and format it as NTFS.

You know that backing up data to the same drive is not really safe. If the drive fails, all the backups will go as well, better to backup to another source / HDD.

Aporosa
06-05-2016, 09:30 AM
Thanks for your replies. Sorting this all now. Will reply once I sort it.

Aporosa
06-05-2016, 10:23 AM
Hi Lawrence and Wainuitech,
Ok, idiot award to me! Did as you said but then only allocated 28gb instead of 280gb to the partition and wondered why it wouldn't accept 30gb of files.
Issue sorted, again as a result of you good people in Press F1... I will soak up some sun and drink some kava in your honour. Apo