PDA

View Full Version : DVD Region Settings on Laptop

Neil F
01-05-2016, 12:02 PM
I have an HP610 Laptop Win7 Professional 64 Bit.
I watch DVDs on this. I learned some time ago that the Default Setting is Region 4 (NZ).
Occasionally I find a DVD which is another Region e.g. 1.
I have seen warnings (I can't remember where) that changing the Region Setting on a Pc can only occur a maximum of 4 or 5 times and then one is stuck with the last setting.

Does anyone know of a way to overcome this restriction?

I was prompted on this yesterday when the Librarian spotted on their Book out scanner that the DVD I wanted to borrow was Region 1 and alerted me so I did not take the DVD.

Neil

Speedy Gonzales
01-05-2016, 12:51 PM
Install a 3rd party program that doesnt care about region based dvds

Terry Porritt
01-05-2016, 12:59 PM
Install a 3rd party program that doesnt care about region based dvds

...............Such as VLC player, which I use. It plays some region 1 and region 2 DVDs I have.

R.M.
01-05-2016, 01:41 PM
I use VLC too. Works well.

feersumendjinn
01-05-2016, 03:20 PM
I think the restriction is built into the optical drives firmware, though there are ways around this

Neil F
02-05-2016, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the tips. I already have VLC Player V 2.2.2 installed so I shall try that.
Cheers

dugimodo
02-05-2016, 11:31 AM
It is the optical drive firmware that locks after 5 changes. I think VLC ignores region or there are utilities designed to get around it but they can also be used for piracy so I don't think we can discuss them in any detail without breaking forum rules.

Of course you could just watch the DVD on a regular DVD player... Most sold here have been region free for many years, something the suppliers/retailers just quietly started doing after the first year or so. And almost all that are region locked have a hidden "all regions" or region free setting you can activate with a bit of research.