PDA

View Full Version : Win 10 UEFI Secure Boot disabled and still can't instal W7

kioti
30-04-2016, 03:55 PM
Hi. I have a problem, well a friend has the problem. She bought a new Asus P2520LA-XO0490T, RAM 4GB/HDD 500GB-7200rpm,and it has Win10 X64 pe-installed so it will be OEM. She hates 10 and wants to remove it and instal W7. After weeks of trying and failing I find out that these new Laptops etc have UEFI and not BIOS. In that UEFI is a safeguard called Safe Boot or Secure Boot and its locked to only Boot from W10. Via Internet and phone while I was directing her into the UEFI (Setup) we eventually got into BOOT and in there she disabled Secure Boot and that then showed both CSM and PXE as enabled. Saved and exited, returned to try to instal W7 and still no go!!! Tried from W7 DVD and a folder created in a partitioned drive that contained an extracted .iso made from the W7 DVD. Get in as far as Instal Win 7 and then screen window says that it can't be done and to restart the instal again. It will continue to do that until Hell freezes over. So, having been told that all she has to do is boot from the 7DVD and it will instal is incorrect because the Safe Boot in UEFI will not allow that to happen. So, Secure Boot is disabled, CSM and PXE are enabled and it still will not allow instal of W7. What step are we missing out of here? Do we need to get back into UEFI Secure Boot and change OS Type from Windows UEFI to 'Other OS' or Change UEFI to Legacy, or Open Key Management and delete the Keys that are there as was suggested in one of many fixes I have read, change the Boot option Priorities from Boot option #1 Windows Boot Manager, or what? Checked in UEFI that Secure Boot was disabled. Also had to disable Fast Boot becuase tapping or holding down F2 didn't open UEFI because Fast Boot is too fast for UEFI to open. Had to get into UEFI the long way as detailed in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PzosT7RFf8 This has become one frustrating attempt to wipe out 10 and instal 7. I have no problem because my computer PC has a BIOS and not UEFI. All help appreciated. Oh yes, I am in New Zealand and my friend with the Asus P2520LA-XO0490T is in Romania....and I cannot access the UEFI using Team Viewer...so, it's her sending me pics from her Mobile and my telling her what to do. :(
MS mandated that this UEFI Safe Boot be accessible to be changed by users having UEFI, well to me at this moment that seems to not be the case.
Thanks in advance.

Speedy Gonzales
01-05-2016, 10:52 AM
Disable PXE. Thats for a network isnt it? 64 bit supports UEFI (kind of) but not secureboot

Hmm is this laptop only available in Romania. Most of the searches, point to Romanian sites

If she can find the ASUS site with the downloads for this, there maybe a program similar to this called boot setting. This will let you configure the BIOS settings from within windows

Does this laptop have a shorter name?

wainuitech
01-05-2016, 11:51 AM
You need to boot using CMS -- A almost exact same question http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2391492/turn-legacy-mode.html as well as this article ( has pictures) http://superuser.com/questions/524598/asus-uefi-bios-options-how-to-boot-from-dvd

Had a few PC's that still wouldn't boot from DVD, so had to use PXE, but I have servers containing the files with that capability so there wasn't a problem.

kioti
02-05-2016, 12:06 AM
Disable PXE. Thats for a network isnt it? 64 bit supports UEFI (kind of) but not secureboot

Hmm is this laptop only available in Romania. Most of the searches, point to Romanian sites

If she can find the ASUS site with the downloads for this, there maybe a program similar to this called boot setting. This will let you configure the BIOS settings from within windows

Does this laptop have a shorter name?

Yep . Laptop is an Asus P2520LA-XO0490T.
Not only available in the Baltics :D Pain in the butt really, Speedy....UEFI/ HDD locked into GPT.
Managed to get W7 installed even though she said the optic drive sounded like a coffee grinder. (scratched/dirty dvd media disc?) didn't enter License key, skipped that because the W7 retail is on her daughters PC,,,,30 day grace for her to get a new License key from MS (if they still selling them...they're giving away W10 and all have the same license key) Thanks Speedy

kioti
02-05-2016, 12:15 AM
Wainuitech and Speedy Gonzales, here is what happened:
Sorry for my late reply. Yes she did get into UEFI but what I was looking at was getting into UEFI and stop the blocking of 7 instal by disabling Safe/Secure Boot and that was a mission. Also had to set Optic Drive as first boot as the HDD with W10 was set to boot before Optic. As I said we had all that done but couldn't instal 7.....and the reason for that became apparrent last night. The C and Data Drives were GPT!! I found that out when I sent her a file I had created in Easeus Partition Manager which was a WinPE.iso. Had to download and use a WinPE file from MS to create the .iso. I created the .iso so I could send it to her in MediaFire and she could burn to CD: I had it on USB but didn't want to be getiing into the UEFI to set first boot to USB HDD :( o.O Eventually managed to boot into Easus Partition Manager and there used the Windows Shell to use CMD prompts to delete the C and DATA drives, clean them and them use cmd prompt convert mbr. Exit and have 500GB of unallocated space which still showed as GPT: Created NTFS partition of unallocated space, that created the MBR disk, then turned the MBR 500GB C Drive back into unallocated space (best to instal W7 to unallocated space and create the 2 new partitions that it does (System recovery and C Drive). After all that flipping about and after a start to instal of W7, and a notice saying the files may be corrupted, instal started and we almost fell off the sinking pedestals :D
Instal completed. Now she has to get Drivers because no internet etc: because I'm such a pratt I didn't create a Driver Backup pre delete C and Data drives. I sent her this link and she will be in touch with me when she wakes in 3-4 hours. https://www.asus.com/Commercial-Notebooks/ASUSPRO-P2520LA/HelpDesk_Download/

What a rigmaroll that was installing 7....seemed to me that the great powers had set more hurdles to get over to get rid of W10 than I have met before installing an OS......but then I never had any knowledge of UEFI....hell...UEFI and GPT and ...and........new pre-installed OS's which are 99% Windows or Apple, and the Free Upgrade of W10, smells of a invite to party from where one can never leave
I jest of course....UEFI is ancient, like me :D

kioti
02-05-2016, 12:43 AM
ps: could not get into Command Prompt from Retail W7 Home DVD. When reached point to Instal 7 or Repair computer, choosing Repair bought a window on screen saying something very much like " Cannot use this disc to repair computer. Restart and use a compatible disc".....................shish kebabble, I guessed that message was because the disc (W7 DVD) was 32 bit and the computer it was being used on is x64....completely wrong.......... at that time the C and Data drives (partitions) were still GPT. No instal anything...and 7 doesn't instal to GPT ( so the great Google info posts tell me)
Anyway, she has W7 Home and in a week that will be upgraded to Pro....point being that now the C-HDD can be written to with a new OS.
Thanks.

kioti
02-05-2016, 12:57 AM
@Speedy Gonzales.....I will get into UEFI and disable PXE.....maybe that is the cause of the 'coffee grinder' sounds she heard when trying to boot from W7 DVD.......was trying to boot first from PXE (Network boot)
Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
02-05-2016, 09:29 AM
That's the main prob, the hdd would have been formatted in GPT. You would have to format it in / to NTFS.

And you're right you cant use a 64 bit dvd to repair or fix a 32 bit system. Or vice-versa. And if you managed to install 32 bit, you can't install 64 bit over it

Unless you do a clean install of 64 bit.

Driftwood
02-05-2016, 10:15 AM
Would be a lot easier to get used to win 10.
Got several of the oldies on it round here.
Put classic start on it & they hardly know the difference.

linw
02-05-2016, 12:10 PM
+1

mzee
04-05-2016, 03:29 PM
I had a similar problem with a new Laptop that came with Windows 10 Home. The owner wanted W7 Pro which he already had. I had to remake the Partition table in MBR format and then partition in NTFS format. No trouble after that. I used Linux Part-edit. Make sure that you back up all your Data as remaking the Table wipes everything.

kioti
07-05-2016, 07:17 PM
Thanks Speedy. We got that all sorted....and correction for what i said " Cannot use this disc to repair computer. Restart and use a compatible disc".....................shish kebabble, I guessed that message was because the disc (W7 DVD) was 32 bit and the computer it was being used on is x64...... the computer is X64 capable I meant....the OS installed was X86 Win Home Premium. And why it would give that notification "Cannot use this disc to repair computer. Restart and use a compatible disc"....hell it was the Original W7x86 Home Premium DVD used to instal the OS that was being used to attempt Repair.
All gone now. Running W7 X64 Home Premium and it installed without a hitch. I had to advise her on how to delete the 2 partions to have one large unallocated partion to instal the OS to. No 'coffee grinder sounds. Cheers (y)

kioti
07-05-2016, 07:20 PM
@mzee
Thanks. we managed to get it all sorted out. Now her comp has W7 X64 Home Premium running as sweet as honeybee.

kioti
07-05-2016, 07:24 PM
@Driftwood, thanks . I know what you mean and I suggested Classic Shell and showed her pics of what its Start Menu looked like, but she was determined to have W7. The Devil she knew. That simple.
As time goes on I may be able to convince her to instal W10 on a partition and have dual boot choice of OS to open into...to become accustomed to 10...before it becomes obsolete....if that will happen...I know some people still running 2000 and XP!!
Cheers