PDA

View Full Version : Does Linux Make It Impossible To........

SurferJoe46
28-04-2016, 03:47 AM
...damage or destroy any of it's currently running installation and file system?

In that I mean that I believe that Windows won't allow access to it's own opsys or file system so it can be damaged by formatting or in other ways damaging itself (short of malware and virus activity and such).

I ask this so I can be sure to NOT damage a good installation of a distro I like while adding another opsys/distro to run alongside it.

I've got a good installation of Zorin that is my go-to distro on this 32-bit older puter that I don't want to mess it up with subsequent playing around - do you know what I mean?

For some reason, this 32-bit system is a lot harder to deal with than my 64-bit machine. The 32 fights me tooth and claw, whilst the 64 just goes on and does it all pretty well without much fuss.

wainuitech
28-04-2016, 08:48 AM
Linux and windows can both do the same thing, take out files.

Remember years ago, just built a New computer for a family, their son who "knew it all" decided to "trim" the Windows folder within an hour of me dropping it off to save some space -- then they wanted me to fix it under warranty as it now wouldn't boot. The simple reply was "warranties don't cover a person deliberately damaging the operating system"

28-04-2016, 10:11 AM
Make a backup image of the whole HD , just in case. If it gets screwed up, just re-image from your backup.

Theres always a chance of an oopsie when adding OS's .

SurferJoe46
28-04-2016, 11:06 AM
Make a backup image of the whole HD , just in case. If it gets screwed up, just re-image from your backup.

Theres always a chance of an oopsie when adding OS's .

This --- and I have to learn how to do that.

Kame
28-04-2016, 12:22 PM
Anything that is done with root has the potential to do the damage, a normal user has more chance physically.

Updates need to be installed by root, which is always a possibility something can go wrong and destroy a system.

If you don't want to mess it up, then avoid updating unless needed or start doing regular back ups.

28-04-2016, 12:25 PM
If the HardDrive is WD , WD has a free tool thats very good (Its a version of Acronis) , you install it (on windows) & use it to create a bootable CD with the imaging software.
Same with Seagate
Best way to learn is by trying :-)

Just allways choose manual selection option(not auto) when using imaging software to create & restore .

Im sure theres a great Linux program to do image backups .

SurferJoe46
28-04-2016, 04:01 PM
I've got two Seagates and two Western Digitals in it. I think I have both of the cds that came with them - something (if I remember) about disc or file rescues and formatting, etc.,

At this point - and remember that I'm trying to learn this on a vertical curve - I'd like to wipe everything clean and start all over.

The tool that cleans everything off and yet renders the hdds usable is what I want. Since there won't be any M$ products on this older unit, I'd just like to start from scratch.

If I try it - what format is best to clean them TO? I think FAT32 or NTFS was mentioned. What's the general consensus here in Upsidedown Land?

Kame
28-04-2016, 05:54 PM
Let your installer format the drive or... format it without creating a partition/file system.

When formatting it yourself, you decide between mbr or gpt. That is all you need for a clean install, the installer will allocate the space, partition it and create the file system needed.

Neither FAT or NTFS on Linux, majority would prefer ext4, while those who know what filesystem they want, would involve themselves in the partitioning process. Each having strong points and weaknesses.

Stick to ext4, familiarise yourself with what other file systems can do for you and then you can make better decisions but for the average joe bloggs, they aren't going to care to much as long as things just work.

SurferJoe46
28-04-2016, 07:16 PM
Stick to ext4, familiarise yourself with what other file systems can do for you and then you can make better decisions but for the average joe bloggs, they aren't going to care to much as long as things just work.

Thank-you! Thank-you! Thank-you! Thank-you!

This is the kind of stuff I need - recommendations!

Many thanks.

Thank-you! Thank-you! Thank-you! Thank-you!