PDA

View Full Version : The Linux Playground...and Me

SurferJoe46
25-04-2016, 02:49 AM
Yesterday, I got a notice that my copy of Linux/Zorin had an update that I would really like. Uh huh!

Foolishly, I let the update in - took over 4 hours - and in the end it had wiped my hdds - all three 500g hdds - and trashed itself in the meantime. There was nothing left that was salvageable,

No big deal - I've got the original distros saved on dvds, so I started all over again - meekly - and put Slacko Puppy 6.3.0 back in as kind of a starting place - you know: to get the hdds all cleaned up from fragments and detritus from the stuff that got grenaded.

I'm OK with that as I feel at this stage in Linux and me, I can expect a few, if not a lot of setbacks - and besides I have a second up-n-running desktop that has successfully had three distros installed with XP-P and they all seem to play well together.

So after the boot up, splash screens and all in Slacko Puppy 6.3.0, I hit the "INSTALL" button - expecting that this morning when I log-on, that Puppy would be there waiting for me.

Nope.

I wound up at grub rescue prompt which just sat there expecting me to do something I think.

With a CTRL-ALT-DEL and a hot reboot, and I slipped the DVD in and there Slacko Puppy 6.3.0 is again.

Now I KNOW I hit "INSTALL" the first time around - and yet it requires that disc to find itself???????

What did I do wrong and how can I correct it? Does it require some sort of trick to get Puppy to actually self-initiated w/o the install-disc?

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

1> Slacko Puppy 6.3.0 as the first installed distro with a couple more to follow
2> I want grub to recognize and allow me to choose which distro I want to run at the moment - listing them all for my perusal.
3> I do NOT want another "LIVE INSTALL" of any kind
4> I do not want anything encrypted - nor password protected.

Kame
25-04-2016, 09:28 AM
grub rescue usually means you need to fix your master boot record.

You can pass commands at grub rescue or from inside Linux, run the update-grub and grub-install command.

SurferJoe46
25-04-2016, 12:52 PM
grub rescue usually means you need to fix your master boot record.

You can pass commands at grub rescue or from inside Linux, run the update-grub and grub-install command.

Would the message possibly mean that I had to put the disc back in for grub to be able to work?

KarameaDave
25-04-2016, 12:54 PM
You should boot the puppy disk and install grub legacy under the system heading in the menu.
This should work to get you up and booting.

Puppy is not an OS that you can just click install and leave, it won't work.

SurferJoe46
25-04-2016, 01:07 PM
Got it. Something more to learn.

Thanks for your patience with me. I know that Puppy isn't really an end-game option, but I'm getting a lot of new thinking about things-Linux this way.

Ultimately I want to run Ubuntu Studio.

KarameaDave
27-04-2016, 11:10 AM
I have stumbled across this OS which seems to be the preferred one for people on the Linux Musicians website.
http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/