PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Build 7601 This copy of Windows is not genuine

B.M.
24-04-2016, 04:40 PM
Anyone had any experience with the above problem?

Windows is genuine and I have even had the nag screen advising I am eligible for Win 10.

Google produces a confusing selection of reasons with some going back to updates of years ago.

If there is an upside it is that the Win10 Nag Screen has gone. :)

There has been no hardware changes.

Any suggestions anyone?

:thanks

PS I've had Windows Updates turned off since September last year.

wainuitech
24-04-2016, 05:29 PM
This is caused by several reasons.

1. An infection - is the desktop wall paper Black with the message? If its normal then its usually fake, a real non-genuine removes the wallpaper.
2. Some hardware has been hanged that's triggered the activation.
3. There was some updates come through that caused it as well, but that was in Dec 2104 and MS have since patched it.
4. Its actually not a legit Product key.
5. Your install has become screwed up someplace.

Do you have the actual COA with the product key ?

If so then run through the reactivation process as described https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/950929 Scroll to W7 instructions. You will need to re-enter the key.

If it doesn't activate then you need to phone Microsoft and talk to someone who will help you. BUT have the Actual COA sticker handy, as if it comes back from MS saying its not genuine they can actually cross check, most people don't know this, but on ALL COA's are other codes, they can cross check these codes to make sure the product key IS legit.

"IF" you have a factory install of W7, the pre-installed key ( before being embedded in the BIOS like today) CANT be used to activate, you need a COA that's on the computer.

If there is an upside it is that the Win10 Nag Screen has gone AND the downside of that is showing not genuine, after a while depending on the version sometimes the computer starts automatically shutting down and in some cases disables a vast percentage of the functions.

Best to get it sorted.

B.M.
24-04-2016, 06:35 PM
Thanks Wainui.

To answer your questions:

The Desktop is normal with the message in the bottom right- hand corner.

Yes I had crashes see HERE (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?141764-Computer-Shutting-Down). Still not sure about that because a replacement power supply didnít fix the problem, but replacing the capacitors in the original and running chkdsk /r did.

Donít think itís updates as they have been turned off, although I guess there is nothing to stop Microsoft getting around that.

The product key has been fine up until now and Microsoft saw it as genuine up to now.

So I guess following the reactivation path is the next step.

Watch this space. :D

B.M.
24-04-2016, 07:07 PM
Do you have the actual COA with the product key ?

If so then run through the reactivation process as described https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/950929 Scroll to W7 instructions. You will need to re-enter the key.

Did that Wainui but clicking the link does absolutely nothing. :confused:

Whenu
24-04-2016, 07:13 PM
If you go to the Start menu, right click on Computer, click on Properties and down the bottom is a paragraph for activation. Sometimes just opening Properties will cause the warning to disappear though it may come back later.

B.M.
24-04-2016, 07:42 PM
If you go to the Start menu, right click on Computer, click on Properties and down the bottom is a paragraph for activation. Sometimes just opening Properties will cause the warning to disappear though it may come back later.

Yep, but activation does absolutely nothing. See post 4 picture.

Lawrence
24-04-2016, 08:16 PM
See you have OEM Windows 7

You could check to see if you have some corrupted files with SFC/Scannow

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/verify-the-integrity-of-windows-vista-system-files/

B.M.
25-04-2016, 08:25 AM
See you have OEM Windows 7

You could check to see if you have some corrupted files with SFC/Scannow

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/verify-the-integrity-of-windows-vista-system-files/

Good thinking Lawrence, why didn't I think of that? :)

And the results are:

Hmmmmm, I have a problem! :(

CliveM
25-04-2016, 08:32 AM
So now try running DISM. Wainui has given the instructions for that a couple of times recently.

B.M.
25-04-2016, 09:26 AM
So now try running DISM. Wainui has given the instructions for that a couple of times recently.

Thanks Clive, I'll follow up on that. I'm not familiar with DISM at all, don't even know what it stands for, so I'll do some study. :)

B.M.
25-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Update:

Checked CBS log and holy cow there is over 1M of gobbledygook.

Here is the first page only:

How the machine works at all beats me so Iím starting to wonder about the Hard drive?

Iíll run Chkdsk again and see what it says.

Lawrence
25-04-2016, 09:40 AM
This is what you are looking for https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

Just make sure you download the correct build that corresponds with your build

I had to run DISM when I had Windows 7 as it would not display the Get Windows 10 icon,was traced to one of the Explorer builds I had blocked earlier and could not be updated to Explorer 11 to qualify for windows 10 ,DISM could not fix and had to reload Windows 7 to fix

Would say you may be lucky running DISM as you were previously genuine

wainuitech
25-04-2016, 10:54 AM
The DISM commands given for W8.1-W10 dont always work in W7, some simply don't apply. W7 has the system Readiness tool instead.

Got 1 PC here sfc or Readiness tool wont repair it, its n o big deal as it doesn't cause any problems.

B.M.
25-04-2016, 11:36 AM
This is what you are looking for https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

Just make sure you download the correct build that corresponds with your build

I had to run DISM when I had Windows 7 as it would not display the Get Windows 10 icon,was traced to one of the Explorer builds I had blocked earlier and could not be updated to Explorer 11 to qualify for windows 10 ,DISM could not fix and had to reload Windows 7 to fix

Would say you may be lucky running DISM as you were previously genuine

Thanks for the link Lawrence.

It would seem that DISM is another tool to try and fix failed updates, the very reason they were turned off September last year. Iím a great believer in the old adage ďIf it ainít broke donít fix itĒ.

On that basis I will leave this possibility to last and check other things first.

Your observation about Internet Explorer is interesting because I would very much doubt if mine was up to date being a Firefox user. Iím on my laptop as chdisk is running on the problem computer at the moment so Iíll check when thatís finished.

B.M.
25-04-2016, 12:30 PM
Ok, chkdsk /r has finished and all was good disk wise.

I do have Internet Explorer 11, but donít use it, so I guess we can rule that out.

However, google has produced THIS (http://www.ashiktricks.com/this-copy-of-windows-is-not-genuine-fix/) which I find interesting. Anyone familiar with the process and care to comment?

wainuitech
25-04-2016, 01:06 PM
Welllllllllll Something has caused it if it was previously showing as genuine.

The usual case if its an update or something along the lines of a OS corruption is to remove the wallpaper and give you a black screen/background ( I would bet that a high percentage if not all pictures shown show a black screen) - Yours isn't and the reactivate ( as pictured) doesn't work -- So WHY ??? -- So the question is, is it actually some sort of infection ? These are known to do that. If you have the legit product Key then somethings gone pear shaped, so the cause has to be fixed first.

But back to the link you posted -- lets play a little game :D

Scroll down near the end till you get to "Tips after fixing this copy of Windows is not genuine error:"

Read numbers 1 & 2

What are they saying without actually saying it ;)

Lawrence
25-04-2016, 01:29 PM
I would be checking for any updates,don't know if there was many more after the date you stopped them but it's worth a try

If there is any check with MGADiag Tool http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/windows-tips-tutorials-articles/36047-microsoft-genuine-advantage-diagnostic-tool-mgadiag-tool.html

(http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/windows-tips-tutorials-articles/36047-microsoft-genuine-advantage-diagnostic-tool-mgadiag-tool.html)

B.M.
25-04-2016, 02:45 PM
Welllllllllll Something has caused it if it was previously showing as genuine.

The usual case if its an update or something along the lines of a OS corruption is to remove the wallpaper and give you a black screen/background ( I would bet that a high percentage if not all pictures shown show a black screen) - Yours isn't and the reactivate ( as pictured) doesn't work -- So WHY ??? -- So the question is, is it actually some sort of infection ? These are known to do that. If you have the legit product Key then somethings gone pear shaped, so the cause has to be fixed first.

But back to the link you posted -- lets play a little game :D

Scroll down near the end till you get to "Tips after fixing this copy of Windows is not genuine error:"

Read numbers 1 & 2

What are they saying without actually saying it ;)

Yes you have summed it up well Wainui.

Letís look at where weíre at and see what else we can come up with.

The Computer is running fine at the moment.

Chkdsk gives the HDD a clean bill of health.

Sfc shows so many errors, some unfixable, I canít believe the computer runs at all. :eek:

The OS has previously been OKíd as genuine and a Nag Screen implored me for months to update to Win 10 telling me my OS was OK and eligible along the way.

I turned off updates last September because of the reported number of updates causing problems. So if itís an update that has caused this it must have been snuck in without my approval.

The desktop is normal with the notification of not being genuine in small print in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

The renew re-authentication facility doesnít do anything.

So where to start is the question?

Well my major concern is the SFC Log. There are just pages of faults. Old DOS users would tell you that 1 Meg of text in Notebook is a hell of a lot of text.

Anyway, I see that this problem is described as a Virus by some on Google so Iíll run eset nod and see if it can find anything for once.

I'll report back. :)

B.M.
25-04-2016, 02:51 PM
I would be checking for any updates,don't know if there was many more after the date you stopped them but it's worth a try

If there is any check with MGADiag Tool http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/windows-tips-tutorials-articles/36047-microsoft-genuine-advantage-diagnostic-tool-mgadiag-tool.html
(http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/windows-tips-tutorials-articles/36047-microsoft-genuine-advantage-diagnostic-tool-mgadiag-tool.html)

You mention WGA (Windows Genuine Disadvantage), the scourge of previous operating systems, and I'm gun-shy. :)

Might be worth me checking if they've snuck it in somehow. :eek:

B.M.
26-04-2016, 08:06 AM
OK, after 6hrs both Nod and Malware bytes came up with exactly nothing and the problem still exists.

Is there any other recommended programmes to run?

Failing that, I might bite the bullet and turn the updates back on and see what happens.

In the meantime I'll run sfc /scannow again and see what happens this time. :rolleyes:

B.M.
26-04-2016, 09:31 AM
Ok, SFC reports back the same as previously but for the first time I note Locked Folders.

See screen shots below which may well explain the difficulties SFC is experiencing and why renew Authentication doesnít work?????

wainuitech
26-04-2016, 09:39 AM
What you can try,is a repair install.

1st step, go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/home Select Windows 7, scroll down the page a little and enter your product key that's on the COA. Not all keys work, it will either confirm its OK and move onto the next page or pop up with an error message something like this:

The product key on the COA should work though. Download the DVD (ISO) its roughly 3 GB, make the DVD.The reason for this is if you already have a Windows 7 DVD and for some reason it wont accept the key, you're in trouble with installing.

Then run a repair install: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Make sure any data is saved first, or better still make a image of the current drive. You MUST run the repair from within windows, you cant boot from the DVD and run it that way.

Theres no guarantee it will fix everything, in fact it may even make it worse.

EDITED: you posted the pic's while I was writing: That sometimes is caused by some sort of infection changing permissions. Have a read of https://windowsforum.com/threads/windows-7-locked-folders-reset.43796/ may or may not help.

B.M.
26-04-2016, 10:15 AM
Got the ERROR message exactly as you showed Wainui. :crying

I'll read the link you provided and get back.

Thankfully, I have a number of back-up's and images to fall back on I hope.

Never had to use one, so that could be a whole new experience.

My understanding is that it's one thing to have them, but quite another to use them. :)

wainuitech
26-04-2016, 10:22 AM
Just a thought -- The user profile may have somehow got corrupted as well. If that's the case you need to create a new Profile and move everything across to it.

You can try running THIS HERE (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/windows_file_and_folder_diag) - no idea if it will work or not, or what will happen.

Sometimes its a LOT quicker to simply save all your data, wipe the drive and start again with a fresh install, put al your data/Programs back, OR if you have a working Image, drop that back.

Re the product Key, in the past if I'm unsure I will throw in a blank HDD, and start the install process, once it gets to the point of entering the product key, assuming it accepts it OK, then I stop, that way you know the DVD you have and product key are compatible.

Off to fight computers hi ho hi ho off to work I go -:D

beama
26-04-2016, 10:45 AM
Try running this command from the cmd line
slmgr /ato its the Microsoft license manger. if you want more info on this cmd, run it without switches. You will need to run the command as a Admin

B.M.
26-04-2016, 04:07 PM
Well, where to startÖ

Ok, Bemaís little test looked simple enough so I started there but got THIS.

However, reading about the command I discovered smlgr /rearm which was what was mentioned in the previous link I posted, so I tried it and got THIS.

Ok, so I followed instructions and lo and behold the message has gone. :clap Well, for now anyway. However, the folders with locks on them still had locks on them.

Soooo, I thought I might be on a roll so Iíd test the Microsoft FIXiT tool Wainui mentioned.

Well, I wouldnít exactly call it fixing it, but it did shuffle all the icons on the desktop and remove my Administrator rights, but it also removed the locks on the files. :clap

I then thought Iíd try SFC /scannow again, but no luck, exactly the same. However, I noticed the CBS.log file had grown threefold but when I tried to open it, THIS.

So to summarise:

The annoying message has gone. :clap

The Locks shown on some folders has gone.

SFC still canít do its job for some reason. :badpc:

Now I canít read the CBS log, not that I could understand it anyway.

Confusion Reigns! :confused:

wainuitech
26-04-2016, 05:35 PM
Can tell you with a high degree of certainty that by using the rearm command all its done is reset the timer to 30 days, (unless its done some weird skip /step) which means when it runs out again you will get the same message. You can rearm 3 times before it completely locks you out. That's how you get 90 days out of a 30 day trial ;)

It doubt it will have fixed the problem, just delayed it, to check what its done, from a cmd prompt ( admin) type in slmgr -xpr when the window pops up it will tell you the state of it.

Lawrence
26-04-2016, 06:00 PM
The only way to correct your situation is either a Repair install or start with a clean build retaining nothing as wainui has suggested

If you do another SFC/Scannow you will find the same problems and no doubt the non genuine will pop up sooner than 30 Days
Either you have a laptop with a OEM licence(windows 7 was new with the laptop) or you have the Windows 7 64bit DVD with the key both ways you are covered

If you don't have a disk or have the Windows 7 64 bit you will need it to do either

A Repair Install is easy to go through as all your settings and files are retained(there may be the odd setting you may have to change)

B.M.
26-04-2016, 06:02 PM
Dead right Wainui. :mad:

wainuitech
26-04-2016, 06:07 PM
Damn-- OK.

Deleted the contents of this post as it was "if" it showed as activated.

When mentioned before about having backup images, how far back are they and what type (program used) Images are meant for times like this where you can drop them back in to before the problem began.

B.M.
26-04-2016, 06:21 PM
The only way to correct your situation is either a Repair install or start with a clean build retaining nothing as wainui has suggested

If you do another SFC/Scannow you will find the same problems and no doubt the non genuine will pop up sooner than 30 Days
Either you have a laptop with a OEM licence(windows 7 was new with the laptop) or you have the Windows 7 64bit DVD with the key both ways you are covered

If you don't have a disk or have the Windows 7 64 bit you will need it to do either

A Repair Install is easy to go through as all your settings and files are retained(there may be the odd setting you may have to change)

I've got the complete set (5) of Asus Win7 Home Premium Recovery disks that came with Wife's Laptop.

I burnt them on the first day, according to instructions, but they've never been used.

Would they be of any use?

wainuitech
26-04-2016, 06:58 PM
I've got the complete set (5) of Asus Win7 Home Premium Recovery disks that came with Wife's Laptop.

I burnt them on the first day, according to instructions, but they've never been used.

Would they be of any use? They would only be OK if it were the ASUS laptop being reinstalled. It will more than likely ONLY be the OS and drivers for the ASUS.

Do you have a W7 ISO / DVD ?

A recovery DVD and a backup image are two different things.

Lawrence
26-04-2016, 07:04 PM
The recovery disks will take it back to when it was new with maybe the loss of your files

look for the recovery partition and do a repair from there http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html

look for how to get there from your documentation that came with the laptop or online

Looks like you may need a disk to give you the Repair option

mzee
26-04-2016, 10:18 PM
I bought recovery disks for W7 & W10 off TradeMe, work a treat.

B.M.
27-04-2016, 09:41 AM
I bought recovery disks for W7 & W10 off TradeMe, work a treat.

Thanks for the heads-up mzee but I can't see any there at the moment. :thumbs:

But hunting through my collection of Boot disks, going back to DOS 3.1 I found a Win7 32bit Recovery Disk and I haven't got a clue where it came from.

Don't suppose it will work on 64bit machine? :confused:

wainuitech
27-04-2016, 09:50 AM
I bought recovery disks for W7 & W10 off TradeMe, work a treat.There are basically two types of "recovery Discs". Ones made by the Name brand manufactures which often also include drivers for what ever model of computer they are made from and the standard repair Disks made by windows, which don't include name branded Drivers for any specific model. If drivers are included then it wont work on a different computer/hardware.

Then of course the real install disc. (different to a recovery disc)

B.M.
27-04-2016, 10:24 AM
Damn-- OK.

Deleted the contents of this post as it was "if" it showed as activated.

When mentioned before about having backup images, how far back are they and what type (program used) Images are meant for times like this where you can drop them back in to before the problem began.

Yes, Wainui I've got back-up images from here to Africa dating back to DOS days, however, the two that I think would be most appropriate are dated 15/11/15 & 2/10/15.

I have more recent images but I figured it might pay to go back to before I was having power supply problems just in case the trouble started then.

Those images were made with Paragon (I think) but I also have some made with EaseUs and Oceter at various times.

Trouble is Paragon doesn't seem to name their images and just save them as arc_ files.

Lawrence
27-04-2016, 10:26 AM
Don't know if wainui would PM you a key(sorry I had to ask) to be able to download Windows 7 https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows7

This is from the Sevenforums https://www.pcsteps.com/45-download-windows-7-iso-legally-free-digital-river/#How_is_it_legal_to_download_Windows_7_as_an_ISO

I have Windows 7 64 Bit but it's pro version from MDL

B.M.
28-04-2016, 09:21 AM
Well, yesterday afternoon, in the absence of any further ideas, I decided to run Paragon Back-up & Recovery 14, the programme that had previously made the images.

All went well, although Iíd never done a restore previously, and I found out I could choose which folders to restore, as opposed to everything, so I chose only the Windows folder.

First thing up was notification this procedure would take 5 hours, followed quickly by a revision to 14hrs.

It sat on 1% for hours but the HDD lights were flashing away merrily so I left it and went to bed.

About 1am I got up and it had finished so the procedure took about 10hrs not 10min I was hoping for.

Now the good news in everything seems to be working fine, but the bad news is SFC still reports endless files that are supposedly faulty and need to be fixed manually and authentication still doesnít work.

This leaves me wondering if it isnít the master files which I understand are protected and hidden somewhere are the ones that are corrupted???

I think the folder holding those files used to be known as i386, but I canít find any such folder on this machine.

Iíve been looking at the CBS log to see if I can find a clue and a lot of the problems seem to be thumbnails and .jpg files????

Hereís a screenshot.

wainuitech
28-04-2016, 09:51 AM
You are better to do a complete image replacement. Theres more than just the windows folder. Doing part system replacements is really a waste of time.

If the complete computer OS was OK at the time of making the image, then replace the lot. If only putting back deleted files (documents, pictures etc) thats fine.

Example of complete: On a insider install I have, the latest upgrade 14332 is causing a problem, wont stay installed. I had made a image of the previous OS last week 14316 before the then upgrade came out, Just put that back 14316 last night, I use Active@disk Image, it was just over 70GB, took roughly 1 1/2 hours, just fired it up this morning, running perfectly, and now manually upgrading to the latest.

B.M.
28-04-2016, 10:24 AM
Ok, before I waste too much more time I think I need to speak to Microsoft about the Authentication.

Once that is sorted we can download the appropriate iso disks.

So to this end can anyone give me the "New Zealand" Microsoft Phone number.

I wish to speak with someone who can speak English and understand English plus probably Anglo Saxon.

bevy121
28-04-2016, 12:29 PM
because it's so very difficult to do....

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=microsoft+nz

B.M.
28-04-2016, 12:59 PM
because it's so very difficult to do....

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=microsoft+nz

I said I wanted to talk to someone who Spoke and Understood English. :rolleyes:

I don't understand the pigeon English they speak in Manila or wherever that number takes you, and they don't understand me.

There was a NZ number/office some time ago and the guy there was good to deal with.

wainuitech
28-04-2016, 01:02 PM
Ok, before I waste too much more time I think I need to speak to Microsoft about the Authentication.

Once that is sorted we can download the appropriate iso disks.

So to this end can anyone give me the "New Zealand" Microsoft Phone number.

I wish to speak with someone who can speak English and understand English plus probably Anglo Saxon.

PM coming but it nothing to do with contacting MS.

28-04-2016, 02:09 PM
after skim reading 5 pages :)
You should be able to easily re-activate using the install key you must have. Sometime its that easy (sometimes not)

Do you have a Win7 sticker on the case , with the install key on it ?

right click on computer, properties (or control panel, system)
on the system properties box, down the bottom, under activation, you should be able to re-enter a valid Win7 key there
"change product key"

Also Uninstall Update KB971033 (might help)
In the past MS have been known to force through some Winupdates even if set to notify or check only . So there may have been an update sneak
in thats causing some issues (seems unlikely though)

wainuitech
28-04-2016, 02:25 PM
Found the problem :) (aint PM's great)

Not going into details, B.M. can post if he wants.

In PM mode with BM so stay tuned. :)

B.M.
28-04-2016, 05:27 PM
Found the problem :) (aint PM's great)

Not going into details, B.M. can post if he wants.

In PM mode with BM so stay tuned. :)

No secrets here. :)

This is the explanation as Wainui sees it:

OK found the problem.

If you have a look on google with that product key you gave it shows as being factory default or Non - Legit key. ( you can search yourself)

If its the Factory default key, while you can install with the key you cant activate it.

What happens is when the manufactures build computers they put in whats called a default key that goes on hundreds if not thousands of computers, theres a file within the System that tells MS activation it is legit, BUT if something goes south and the OS gets some corruptions then it can make it non legit which is what appears to have happened. If you were to contact microsoft they would tell you to use the product key on the sticker that's on the side or somewhere else on the computer.

The only other times I've seen this type of happening is when some cowboy rouge builder uses a factory key, and adds in a script to fool windows into thinking its legit.

What I will need is the code that's on the sticker that legally should be on the computer, or if you purchased the DVD the sticker may still be attached to the packaging.

However, now I'm hunting hi and low for the side cover which may or may not have the sticker on it. The computer sits in a little cubbyhole under my desk and I leave one side off to allow a bit more air flow and to save me taking it off to do a routine de-dust. :)

And 1101 the activate facility in the location you mention doesn't do anything even if I had the correct key on hand. :crying

I've also found that slui.exe 4 doesn't do anything either. Apparently it is supposed to give you your nearest telephone help line, well, according to google.

Lawrence
28-04-2016, 05:57 PM
You will not probably find anything with the Key showing seem it's OEM. the numbers you see ID: 00359-OEM-8992687-00006 is the product ID not the key

If you enter that product ID into google you will see heaps of them for Windows 7 64 bit

Will a Windows repair install return you to a Activated state,may be/may not that's what I would try first,if not your Recovery disks come into play but it won't hurt giving Microsoft NZ a ring may save a lot of angst

29-04-2016, 10:19 AM
You will not probably find anything with the Key showing seem it's OEM. the numbers you see ID: 00359-OEM-8992687-00006 is the product ID not the key

:confused::confused:

COA sticker has the install key on it . If its not pirated there should be a Win7 COA sticker on the case
Even genuine preloaded OEM installs have a Win7 COA sticker on the case.
Keyfinder programs will also extract the install key . I guess WT ran keyfinder & googled the actual install key

COA stickers all gone win8 & win10,but win7 & previous should allways have a install key(COA) sticker , unless its bulk licensing or dodgy

mzee
29-04-2016, 12:06 PM
It all comes back to backups. If you had a system image it would only take a few minutes to restore. I have experienced deactivation of W7 a few times but never had a problem because I keep backups. My Dell came with a complete set of installation disks, W7, WXP Sp3, and drivers. If people insisted on receiving installation disks the retailers & Microsoft would have to supply them.

wainuitech
29-04-2016, 12:50 PM
:confused::confused:

COA sticker has the install key on it . If its not pirated there should be a Win7 COA sticker on the case
Even genuine preloaded OEM installs have a Win7 COA sticker on the case.
Keyfinder programs will also extract the install key . I guess WT ran keyfinder & googled the actual install key

COA stickers all gone win8 & win10,but win7 & previous should allways have a install key(COA) sticker , unless its bulk licensing or dodgy

To answer the question -- Nope - BM PM'ed me the key after I asked, I was going to download a ISO from a list the someone posted to make sure he got the right one.

Out of habit I ran the key through Google, and instantly saw it was a preinstalled default factory Key, listed on various sites.

Default keys as I replied to BM -- You can install with them, but not activate. The "hint / Suspicion" Was when a rearm was run and it gave it another 30 days. The google search was simply a confirmation.

This is one way Windows 10 does away with keys now a days, once the hardware ( motherboard) is registered you don't need a key any more, simply download the ISO from MS, and install, it automatically activates.

Lawrence
29-04-2016, 01:36 PM
When BM applied the backup he had it should have reinstated the original Key, Right

If he can't see it one of the key finding software's should pick it up which in turn should allow him to access the ISO he wants for repair

B.M.
29-04-2016, 01:44 PM
All good stuff.

Well I havenít found the side cover yet but have been doing other things.

However, I have a plan of attack. :)

Part 1: When I get a chance Iíll drop one of the images I have onto a new clean drive and see what happens. Put that down to ďWork ExperienceĒ as Iíve never had to attempt it.

Part 2: Iíll lodge a complaint with the Commerce Commission about Microsoftís practice of locking products you have purchased to give them control, then crippling them at will.

Think what would happen if car manufactures were to do the same thing and lock the spark plugs to one particular engine.

Might be able to make a New Zealand equivalent of the Aussie film ďThe CastleĒ. :D

B.M.
29-04-2016, 02:00 PM
When BM applied the backup he had it should have reinstated the original Key, Right

If he can't see it one of the key finding software's should pick it up which in turn should allow him to access the ISO he wants for repair

The problem with the backup I applied may be that I was given an option of doing everything or picking from a selection of Folders. I selected only the Windows folder and the Key remained the one I gave Wainui.

Wainui says that is an Installation Key not an Activation Key.

Bloody stupid when a computer is years old and has only just been declared not genuine. :rolleyes:

Struth, we've had 3 new operating systems since Win 7 and it's been legal all this time and even declared so by Microsoft when offering a Win 10 upgrade.

We shall overcome! :D

wainuitech
29-04-2016, 02:36 PM

If he can't see it one of the key finding software's should pick it up which in turn should allow him to access the ISO he wants for repair If it were the complete image, and working OK at the time, then yep, should be right as rain. But not the complete image was put back according to a previous post, only the windows directory.

Bloody stupid when a computer is years old and has only just been declared not genuine Something has changed to trigger it.

As I mentioned previously, drop the key provided into google and you'll see its listed in quite a few places as the default keys (which manufactures use)